“Go there!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ferncliff House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cork
Ferncliff House
You added Ferncliff House to your Saves list
7 Ferncliff | Bellevue Park, Cork, Ireland   |
Ranked #24 of 61 Cork B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Go there!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

I don't understand what the Italian lady had to complain about. We stayed in the same room and yes it was compact -but it was bigger than the one we enjoyed in Via Condotti for €400 and only a bit smaller than the one in Venice for €1100 a night. But they were all unique and wonderful experiences. Breeda and Sean run a wonderful, friendly home away from home which we had the privilege to share. We recommend it to everyone on this basis - if you expect the Savoy, go somewhere else. If you want a really good, value for money b&b in the heart of Cork with great hosts, a warm and comfortable bed, typical Irish warmth and home hospitality, give Breeda a call or email. You won't be disappointed. We loved it and our hosts and we'll be back!

Room Tip: The Family suite on the top floor has been freshly renovated and is great. We weren't allowed to...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Breeda, the owner of this B&B was the nicest! Some of my friends and I went traveling throughout Ireland staying in a different city and B&B nearly every night, and we loved this Higgins B&B or better known as The Ferncliff House in Cork.

We all got our own bed in a large room, which was a big plus and Breeda was extremely accommodating with requests, recommendations, and information. The petite woman even insisted on helping me with my oversized luggage up the stairs, which was the first and only host who even offered. The cozy building and room felt authentic, and was truly a home away from home.

We are from NYC and this B&B felt like an Irish city home, and just steps from one of our favorite city's fun. After an amazing late night out me and the girls weren't doing so well and were running late in the morning. The other B&B hosts were nearly pushing us out the door in the mornings, but Breeda allowed us to take the time we needed and even made breakfast for us after the allotted time, which was delicious and large!

She was our favorite host and the location in Cork was excellent! We had a great time and will be back the next time we are in Cork!

Out of all the B&B we stayed at this is the one that stands out, and the only one we sent a thank you note to.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Ferncliff House was a true b&b experience, one that I recommend anyone heading to Cork City should try. Breeda was the most welcoming, informative, friendly and engaging without being too over the top hostesses we met during our nine day trip. We wished we could have stayed with her longer. In fact, she is the only one I've personally kept in touch with despite staying at plenty other b&bs.

Ferncliff is located in a great spot within the city. It's walkable from all of the shopping, delicious restaurants (of which Breeda can recommend a few!), incredible pubs and the fish market. The beds are comfy, showers are spacious and the breakfast was incredible. To add even more kudos to this review, my girlfriends and I (all in our late 20's/early 30's) stayed out a wee bit too late and Breeda - despite having a whole house of guests arriving the next day - waited patiently as we slept past the check out time to cook us breakfast. She even offered some aspirin :)

From the bottom of my heart, this place is how I will remember Ireland. Friendly, hospitable, adorable and simply amazing.

Tracey

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

Before deciding on Higgin's B&B also know as Ferncliff B&B we read many reviews on this site! Everyone talked about how wonderful and fun Mrs. Breeda was. I have to say the reviews are right on! She is so fun and welcoming. We were there one night on our 10 day trip around Ireland. After seeing the city, we came back to the B&B that night and ended up having wine and a lovely chat with Mrs. Breeda. We stayed on the top floor with a view of the city which was very pretty at night. The room was a really good size, clean and the hospitality and breakfast was exceptional. When I came on to post this review I noticed someone had left a rather negative review below. I couldn't disagree with the comments more! Compared to other B&B's in Ireland and other countries we stayed...including Italy, the welcome and the amenities were great. My advice...If you want a more personal experience of staying in someone's home as opposed to a generic hotel, this is a place I would recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, AB, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Breeda's wonderful service started before I ever actually arrived in Ireland. I emailed her for advise about transportation and Ideas, and was greeted with a font of information, that as a single first time was beyond appreciated. When I arrived, I was welcomed as a member of the family not just a guest. It was wonderful to share my daily adventures, and know that someone was looking for me to arrive home. My space was excellent, and very comfortable. I was made aware in advance that my room was not en suite, but the bathroom that I used, was large, brightly light, and the only one in my travels with a full bath tub to soak my weary feet and legs after all my walks. Breakfasts were delicious, and had tons of choices, always tailored to my own eating habits. I loved my time in this home, and compared to the others that I stayed at, I wish I had been able to transport Ferncliff House and Breeda to all the locations that I stayed in.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

I have stayed at Ferncliff B&B for the past 6 to 7 years when in Cork each summer on business. Mr. and Ms. Higgins are both very welcoming and helpful, and as a single traveler, I always feel very safe and comfortable there. Breeda Higgins is the most friendly and accommodating host ever! She has loads of information for any guest's need, and I will travel miles for her home-baked brown bread. This B&B is very comfortable and clean as a whistle. I love it there, and ever since my first stay I have felt so at home, which is why I keep going back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Wichita, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We were not expecting the B&B to be a 18th century Victorian walk up. We loved our stay at “Antie” Breeda’s house. She truly made us feel welcome. She was very easy to talk to and gave us excellent suggestions on our itenierary that our kids would enjoy. We were given the room at the top floor, which was very spacious with 3 beds and an ensuite bath. She even had an electric kettle and a box of mixes set up for us. The main floor has a parlor/sitting room very relaxing for writing in your travel journal. Breeda made a tasty Irish breakfast (if you like scrambled eggs just ask, she is happy to accommodate), which included the American flag as the centerpiece for our table in celebration of Independence Day. It was a sweet touch.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ferncliff House? Share your experiences!