“Big Improvements” 4 of 5 stars

40A Cornmarket Street, Cork, Ireland
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cornstore Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 451 Restaurants in Cork
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Cornstore Cork is a lively restaurant located in Cork City Centre. Our ethos is good food, sourced from local producers. We are ideal for all types of eating out in Cork including groups, entertaining business clients, romantic dinners and special occasion dining options. We are an award winning, top restaurant in Cork city. Our awards include best customer service, best cocktails and we were Gold Medal finalists for Best Restaurant. We have many recommendations from top critics including Paolo Tuilio, Georgina Campbell & Lucinda O'Sullivan. A night in the Cornstore will definitely be a good night out in Cork, great food, great atmosphere and great cocktails, a defninite must dine experience.
Cork, Ireland
“Big Improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was reluctant to return here after a very disappointing experience which I had a few years ago but we were back recently with a group of friends and had a very enjoyable night. Its not cheap but the staff are helpful and knowledgeable without being overbearing. Decor is heavy and the lighting is low and the place feels dark.
All four of us had steaks which were all cooked as requested and the meat was tender and tasty. The steaks and mains in general were competively price but the idea of paying for all your side orders grates with me, €6 extra for your veg is a little rich. I also found the starters to be a tad expensive. The drinks menu was varied and interesting. I would recommend it and will probably return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Standards have slipped but prices have increased”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have eaten in Cornstore many times in the past and have enjoyed the food each time and found it to be consistently good value. Every time I've been before even on a Saturday evening there has been a set menu for €25/€30. I visited last Friday with a couple of friends and there were no value options available in terms of menu which was disappointing. We ordered 2 starters, 3 mains and 2 bottles of wine. The prawns pil pil starter was very disappointing. The prawns didn't taste awfully fresh and the chili/garlic/oil mixture was bland and the garlic slices had been browned and didn't provide the dish with much flavour. The worst part was the crisp sourdough bread to accompany the prawns was so crispy it could not be cut with the knife provided and went uneaten.

Moving on to main courses we had the Hake special and Roast chicken supreme with a side of roast potatoes. While the hake was pleasant enough the chicken was very ordinary and the roast potatoes were tasteless and not crispy. The gravy/jus that came with the chicken was of such a watery consistency it did not do the dish any favours.

The unfortunate thing about the night was that one of our mains was forgotten and arrived 10 minutes after the others. When we initially asked had the dish been forgotten about as we expected we were told not at all it will only be 3 minutes. The other 2 dishes were quite cold by the time the 3rd arrived. For this we got a free desert shot of strawberry liquor but at €156 for 2 starters, 3 mains and 2 bottles of wine we will not be returning.

Looks as though the Cornstore has lost its lustre.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Could not recommend highly enough”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you are venturing out for lunch,dinner or cocktails in Cork city then I could not recommend this restaurant highly enough to you.The food they serve is exquisite,really five star quality and the presentation is immaculate.The price of the food on their menu is excellent value for money also which keeps me coming back.I would really recommend their sausage and mash main course for lunch.It is absolutely scrumptious.Their hake is exquisite also.For dessert I would recommend their coffee semi-fredo served with popping candy and whipped cream.It is really tasty and unique.This restaurant has an outdoor seating area for those who like to dine outdoors.I could also not praise the staff highly enough here.It is the type of restaurant where the staff are really friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble.They easily allow substitutions and once when I was here the manager gave me a free dessert because of the 'delay' which was a maximum of ten to fifteen minutes which I barely noticed.An amazing restaurant overall which I really could not fault.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Farnborough, United Kingdom
“Great meeting place wonderful craic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Visited for a trade group dinner, great venue, amazing food, great service, wonderful atmosphere and service, highly recommended

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant Murphy and Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Excellent atmosphere, friendly staff, plenty of food choices on menu with local meats and produce and great Cork-tails!

Visited July 2013