“Outstanding food, service not the best” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Cork city
“Outstanding food, service not the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

As i'm getting married here this summer I decided to go to The Bell Tower in Castlemartyr resort recently with my fiancee & her family when we were celebrating some recent news. It also gave my fiancee and myself an opportunity to sample different types of food off the menu to help us in our wedding menu choice.

The food was smashing, every course, every meal, everyone enjoyed. I loved my venison, my partner loved her duck, we now have a very clear idea what will be on our menu!

However, something that was a little bit worrying, was the service. Putting it simply, it just wasn't very attentative, nor was it the 5* standard that the hotel should offer. We had to ask for our glasses to be filled on a constant basis (eventually just filled ourselves), it's only something small but in other lesser, cheaper restaurants I've dined in waiters would always top up your water/wine, etc unprompted. Long time frame between courses, for the main course we had been waiting the guts of half an hour and had to enquire where our food was, funny enough it came about 2 minutes after we enquired.. Finally we had to ask for our empty plates to be collected after said main course was eaten.

I'm putting this down to a bad night? I have been here before and the service was much better, I just hope they don't have many off nights! Overall the company was great, the wine was flowing the atmosphere was good, the decor in the room was stunning and we had a lovely night and I can't wait to get married here.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

91% Recommend
Co Clare
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

The food was amazing loved every course lots to choice from, the restaurant is beautiful. Well worth a visit

Visited September 2012
Cork, Ireland
“Beautifil Room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Extensive evening menu; presentation beautiful. Great wine menu.

Visited May 2012
Cork
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Fantastic selection of locally produced foods including fresh fish, meats, cheeses. The salmon fish cakes were wonderful as was the cod fish for main course. Desert was exceptional. Highy recommend a dining experience at the bell tower restaurant

Visited April 2012
cork
“fab”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

just returned today after a 1 nite stay in capella, really enjoyed, staff very attentive and food really excellent, very well presented, stayed in room 205, with lovely views of gardens, terrace fab yesterday as sun blazed down and nivea sun screen supplied by hotel, very nice touch, pool lovely also, huge improvement since dromolands input, lovely place for a wedding, wedding on there today and tomorrow.
would like to see option of 2 course dinner with coffe as all the courses too much but enjoyed all the same. dinner 62.50 pp, we were on the "spring forward" package.
will be back