“great value getaway” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Blarney
Tipperary, Ireland
“great value getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel recently. We got a great deal of €99 for 2xB&B and 1D. Blarney village is quiet pretty and the Woollen Mill shop is the finest of its type in the country.
Booking into the hotel was quick and efficient.
Our room was at the back of the hotel and as a result we had a view of the back yard which was not very attractive. The room itself was dated and heated to the standard of a sauna, I was able to turn down the heating but still the room was over warm. We were on the 1st floor and on the Saturday morning there must have been some kind of exam going on in a room on our floor near the lift, as a result there was a teacher who gave the morning walking up and down our corridor while talking on a mobile phone.
There is no restaurant in this hotel. U dine in the coffee shop of Blarney Woollen Mills shop. While the food was good there was zero ambience and on the Saturday morning we were able to watch a workman perched high on a ladder fixing a projector while we ate breakfast. We gave all of breakfast either watching him and wondering if he as going to fall as he had no helper with him or no protection around the end of his twelve foot high step ladder, or tourists coming into the coffee shop. If u want a romantic dinner while away for the weekend than this is not for you.
The bar for the hotel is called Christies and is very nice and prices are reasonable, however, to get to the bar requires that you have to go outdoors and on a cold wet Jan night this is not exactly ideal. We got soaked coming back from the bar
The staff in the hotel, bar and coffee shop (I could not use the word restaurant) were friendly and polite throughout our stay and all areas were very clean and i must mention the great value coffee and scone for €2.50 in the bar.
Overall, you know it's not going to be 5 star at that price and it was a great value getaway but the hotel needs it's own restaurant.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Laura H, Front Office Manager at Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you so much for your recent comments and feedback on your stay with us at Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel. I am delighted that you had an opportunity to try some of the facilities here at the hotel and your enjoyed your stay. The MIll Restaurant was renovated 2years ago to provide a different and unique atmosphere that stands out. We have an evening dinner menu from 5pm unitl 9pm in The MIll, where lights are dimmed and candles provide a more intimate setting. However i understand your view on this. We are currentlly working on moving our evening trade into Christy's Bar where a more intimate setting can be create for guest that are looking for that. We apologise for the early morning interuptions.I will pass on details of your stay to our Accomadation Manager to ensure we can improve our service.

I do hope that if you are back in the Blarney area again that you wont hesitate on staying with us again.

Regards,
The Sales Team
Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel
Blarney
Co. Cork
Tel 02143850011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We got a great deal on this hotel, 100 Eur for a whole weekend of B+B including an evening meal. The outside of the hotel is gorgeous with really rustic stonework and is in a beautiful location in the small village of Blarney. However, the room was quite drab and the view of some old sheds through the dirty windows did little to instill romance in us! Once you turn off the main light though and turn on the little side lamps it was much better - it could just do with a bit of decorating. The restaurant next door (which is also where you get your breakfast) was lovely and the breakfast itself was yummy. The staff were friendly enough and there was a nice pub next door as part of the hotel, but overall not the best hotel I've been to by any means! Also - there's supposed to be a 'leisure centre' which is just a gym with no pool. Call it like it is guys!

Room Tip: Ask for one facing the car park as opposed to the dirty sheds!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Drogheda, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here as part of a deal rush offer. We find that you generally get the worst rooms with these offers and I think that was the case here but we really didn't mind as it was very good value and the hotel was clean.

We arrived to a mistake at reception (even though I had rang reception previously as I had thought she had made a mistake with dates but was told they had the right dates). Arrived at our door to find the lock cover missing and the batteries on display (this gave me visions of trying to find a battery if someone decided it would be funny to take one). The room was very narrow just a small space to walk by the bed to the other side. There was plenty of space either side. There was 2 chairs, desk, cupboard with kettle and hairdryer, wardrobes and bedside tables. It also had one if the oldest televisions I have ever seen which had no remote. Bathroom was fine and clean. Shower was excellent very powerful and warm. Towels were of the small sizing which is a bug bear of mine.
We ate in the mill restaurant the 1st night. It was fine. Very similar to a warehouse (but I've been to fancy restaurants that are similarly styled). We had dinner included and the menu was disappointing the starters especially only had 3 choices (garlic bread, Caesar salad or French onion soup) we both had the French onion soup and after they remembered us we got the soup. I thought it was very oily and to seasoned with some herb. The main courses were better (burger and fish and chips) service was a little haphazard as if they didn't really know what they were doing. We bought 2 packets of o donnells crisps for dessert and although quite expensive they were the nicest crisps we have ever tried.
Breakfast in the mill also was a much better experience over the 2 mornings we had French toast, eggs benedict and full Irish. Very happy with all of these. Self service is only cereal and juice. I do like a fruit section as I can be fussy so like to choose my own but having seen two fruit salads they looked delicious.
We had lunch in christys and it was mediocre. Our toasted panini the fillings were cold and the salad consisted mostly of celery.
The hotel is in a good location, walking distant to castle.
I would stay here again if I got the same deal (approx €30 b&b per night but I would be disappointed if I paid much more)

• Stayed January 2013
Waterford, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night in December, Paid €70 for B&B which is OK for what we got. The room is nicely decorated but very cold when we entered, The windows were wide open and the heating turned off. Not very welcoming on a cold December night. I didn't notice until the next morning how dirty the curtains on the window were. This didn't reflect the room and bathroom which were spotlessly clean.
The breakfast was very nice but the dining room is weird, It is a self service cafe which caters to patrons of the woollen mills shop and was very busy with family's coming to visit Santa Claus. The atmosphere was lovely with excited children and happy parents. We had waitress service as guests of the hotel and the service was very efficient.
The reason I mention the Cafe/Restaurant is because if you were having a romantic evening meal it would be very disappointing....
Blarney is a small village and the hotel is convenient for the sights.
Overall the hotel is OK for a short visit but I wouldn't care to be spending my holidays there. Reading back on my review I notice I used OK a few times, this sums up the Woollen Mills hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Castlebar, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of Blarney, although Blarney is not very big. The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. The location is an easy walk to the castle and is also attached the Woolen Mills Shop which is a must visit. The food at the restaurant was average and a bit overpriced, but there are plenty of other places to eat in town.
All in all I would stay here again, but it didn't knock my socks off.
The only item wrong with the room was water pressure. The pressure would drop off for no reason and then steam strong for a period and then drop off. Made shower time very annoying.
It is also close to Cork (about 8km) and made for an easy day trip.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Excellent bargain via Expedia. Very clean rooms and amenities. Very clean hotel (their online pictures don't do it justice). They comp you a Guinness which is lovely in their Pub. The renovated cafe next door had amazingly great food and at a reasonable price for Ireland. Walking distance to Blarney Castle. Safe and secure walking distance to the tiny little commerce area.

Room Tip: check online deals; choose rooms at the end of the hall to not hear loud guests in hallway
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sixmilebridge, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

We went on a family holiday with a toddler and my parents last weekend. From the minute we arrived the staff were friendly and very informative. The rooms are clean and bright and are a fine size. We ate in Christys bar and in the mill restaurant both nights and for breakfast. The food was very tasty, not your typical hotel food. We moved rooms the second night in case noise from a party downstairs would bother us. We slept very soundly on both nights. We were 10 min drive from cork city centre and literally next door to the fabulous woollen mills shop where we bought some fabulous items. When I arrived home I realised I may have left my designer sunglasses behind. I rang the hotel, they located the glasses for me and sent them on. Honestly I couldnt rate the hotel staff and facilites highly enough and will definately be returning. (I didnt give 5 stars as there was no swimming pool, which is very enjoyable for kids)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Blarney Woollen Mills Hotel? Share your experiences!