“Blarney Stone” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$984*
and up
5-Day Highlights of Ireland Tour: the Burren...
Ranked #1 of 6 Attractions in Blarney
Type: Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated 8km from Cork City, this historic castle is most famous for its stone, which has the traditional power of conferring eloquence on all who kiss it. The word Blarney was introduced into the English language by Queen Elizabeth I and is described as pleasant talk, intended to deceive without offedning. The stone is set in the wall below the battlements, and to kiss it one has to lean backwards (grasping an iron railing) from the parapet walk.
Cork, Ireland
6 attraction reviews
“Blarney Stone”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having lived in Cork for a few years I finally decided to visit Blarney Castle and Gardens with a few friends. I manager even managed to muster the courage and kiss the Blarney stone. The view from the Castle is amazing and the grounds are just beautiful, will be going back again and again....

Visited May 2012

• Polish first
“More than just a castle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Visited Blarney castle in January and while it was overcast and drizzley the grounds were great to explore. The castle itself was interesting and the grounds people were nice, waving to us as they drove their quad bikes about. Blarney house was closed which was a shame but still it was a fun way to kill a few hours.

Riverton, Wyoming
24 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss This Opportunity To See History!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our extended family (all adults) spend several hours combing through the castle and grounds, and could have stayed longer! We almost didn't stop at Blarney Castle because there were so many reviews that said it was too touristy and not worth the time. I heartily disagree!

The climb through the ruins was incredible, but not for everyone. The insight into the life and times of people in that era was fun and interesting. And it made me glad to live in our times!

Once at the top most of my family did the upside down, leaning backward, kissing (or air kissing) the Blarney stone. I'm a bit of a coward about heights, so I passed on by. But halfway down the other side of the castle descent I decided that I might never be back here again. So we short-cutted through the ruins and climbed back to the top (where the view is amazing and worth the climb even if you don't kiss the stone).

The gentleman who was manning the spot was very kind and even though I was shaking, he and my hubby and my kids all cheered me on.

So, mark it off my list (and yours)! If I can do it, you can! But again, even if you don't want to do that, don't miss the castle and grounds because the history is amazing!

Visited July 2012
Annandale, Virginia
127 attraction reviews
“Blarney Castle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

You have to do this when you go to Ireland. the Castle has not been renovated like a lot of them. The steps to the top were many and steep. The grounds are beautiful, a stream runs thru the middle of the grounds. Kissing the stone was a bit daunting but worth the trip to the top.

Melbourne, Florida
44 attraction reviews
“loved the castle, loved the grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had a gret afternoon at the Blarney Castle. Kissed the stone, got the picture, not sure about the rest of the legend. We enjoyed the markers on the trees telling us where the trees came from and what they are. I had never seen a Thuja tree, it is quite amazing. Take bread to feed the ducks. January was a good time to visit, no crowds.