“proper Irish breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #526 of 989 Restaurants in County Cork
Le Bugue, France
“proper Irish breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stopped on our way through for a late breakfast & were not disappointed by size or quality of food. Efficient & friendly staff. We chose well.

• Visited June 2014

Cork, Ireland
“Well worth a visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have now been to this restaurant on three occasions, once in the evening and twice for lunch. The service is friendly and fast. The menu is good with a nice range of choices. The soup at lunchtime is home made and delicious. Prices are excellent too - I think it was under €13 for two soups and two sandwiches, freshly made and beautifully presented. Decor is lovely too. It certainly is worth a visit.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cork, Ireland
“A nice clean pub serving very good and good value food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch here and had the fish cakes with chilli sauce. Lovely food and looking around me was impressed by the food being served to others. Gets busy around 1pm with local working people so get in early or later in day. Overall I was happy and it's only a 25 min drive for me that I will be making more often.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Called in after work for something to eat, i was met with a very warm and friendly welcome, i ordered the steak which was cooked to perfection. The meal was really well presented and price was good will def call again. I highly recommend this place.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Don't eat here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

OK, I don't like leaving a bad review but in this case i have to.

Firstly I'd have to say I'm not commenting on the quality of the beer, the atmosphere, the staff or facilities. I only visted once and only stayed an hour. I'm commenting purely on the food.

I visted with my wife and two kids, we had driven from Dublin and were staying in the nearby Charville Park hotel. After a long drive we decided that we'd head into Charville for a bite to eat rather than just sit in the hotel.

On entering and sitting down alarm bells started ringing when i saw that the menus had sauce etc stuck on them. I wanted to try elsewhere but it was lashing rain outside and the kids were starving so it seemed we were stuck there. The service was OK, prices in line with normal pub food.

The food we had was as follows.

Kids had chicken "goujons" otherwise known as a deep fried, battered chicken breast sliced up. Chips which had clearly been reheated more than twice and side of vegetables which had been boiled to death. The cauliflower, and carrots were grey and tasteless. After one mouthful my daughter pushed them away. They barely touched the rest of the meal.

I had a burger which was greasey and undercooked. I was starving and worked my way through about 3/4 of it. Chips were same as above.

My wife had "Lasagne", that is a pot of mince, with a thin bit of pasta, covered in a half pound of melted cheddar. It wasn't heated through properly and had obviously been cooked earlier in the day and just heated up. It did not resemble any lasagne i've ever had. The garlic bread was rock hard and dry.

All in all the food was extremely poor, we bought some bar food back at the hotel which was excellent in comparison.

Just to clarify, I'm no snob, I don't expect 5 star food in a local pub and I'm not looking down my nose at this place. I eat in pubs all the time and had some great pub meals on our holiday to Ireland. This stood out though as utterly rubbish and i'd advise you to try elsewhere.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
thesecondwindbar, Manager at The Second Wind Bar and Restaurant, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
It's really disappointing to see such a negative review and it has really surprised our management and staff. The Second Wind is located in a country town, and the vast majority of our business is repeat business from our local customers and passing trade. The details and general tone of this review would, in our experience, be in total disagreement with the feedback we receive on an ongoing basis, albeit in a face to face manner. The level of repeat business we witness validates this verbal praise for our friendly staff, value for money, pleasant surroundings and decent bar food.
We regret that your experience was less than satisfactory due to our homemade goujons or lasagne not conforming to your definitions for same. We apologise for your carrots being grey. I cannot understand how the quality of the chips could have been as poor as you report as they are definitely cooked to order. I think you may be exaggerating the weight of cheese on the lasagne at a half pound however this is something that we have addressed with our kitchen staff following your review. I noted your review of our local hotel where you stayed on the same day you mentioned that you didnt eat at the hotel, yet you mention in our review that you were forced to eat in the hotel subsequent to your visit to the Second Wind. To be honest, your review hurt and it looks like it was written to hurt. We feel it is A bit severe for a €30 meal for 4 but quite clearly you were unhappy. We will take all the feedback on board and strive to consistently provide a top class product.
Thank you for taking the time to write the review.