“Difficult to find, but worth the effort!” 3 of 5 stars

Ashford Court Boutique Hotel
Old Mill Road, Ennis, Ireland   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Ennis
Galway
“Difficult to find, but worth the effort!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Stayed for one night during Ennis Book Club festival at an excellent rate (cheaper than most B&B's in town). Very difficult to find the hotel and after driving up and down Old Mill Road twice, I eventually rang the hotel. Area is run down and not very inviting, but I found an elusive carparking spaces which signaled a good start. Reception was TINY, with a note on the phone to dial 0 for assistance. The body odour of the assistance arrived before the very helpful staff member, but I honestly couldn't get away from the desk fast enough. There was no check in form or swiping of credit card (had given my details when I booked room earlier in the week) which I found a little odd for a 4* "boutique" hotel. I think "guesthouse" might be a more accurate description.

I didn't have high expectations of my room, but was pleasantly surprised by its size and layout. Built in wardrobe with safe, ironing board and iron was a treat. Bathroom was spotlessly clean and spacious. Bed very comfy and nicely dressed with white linen. Found lack of kettle odd, but had large dispensers of mineral water on each floor and jugs to help oneself with (a new one on me!)

Some sort of sleeping monster awoke a few times during the night with heart stopping groans - I think it may be an air conditioning unit, but whatever it is it needs serious attention. First time I heard it at 2am I thought the roof was coming in.

Breakfast was a very, very basic buffet with a reasonable hot menu. No cheese available though listed on menu and when a diner asked for a couple of pieces of fruit the owner said they had none but would run to the shop for an orange and banana!! (I kid you not). Mr Smelly from check in doubled as chef/waiter - very friendly and helpful, as was the waitress/receptionist.

This hotel should rebrand itself as a budget/inn/guesthouse. It is NOT 4* or boutique, but it does offer very good value for money and is centrally located.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dun Laoghaire, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

We booked this hotel because it was described as a boutique-style hotel. On arriving in Ennis we had to telephone to ask for directions, which is no surprise as it's located ina council housing estate next to a garage.

When booking I confirmed that there was secure car parking, but when we arrived, none of the 6 pr 7 spaces were available. I tried to manoeuvre into the smoking area, but without success. We did see kitchen staff coming out to their car, so it seems that staff get priority when it comes to car parking. I thought the area looked far to dangerous to park a new car on the street.

Check in was a simple enough, but when I returned to the desk to raise the issue of the car parking, the attendant was outside smoking and had left a phone on the counter with a sign on the counter telling me to call for assistance. The man on the phone wasn’t much help, so I left the key card on the counter, walked out & told the attendant that the place was a joke on my way! He didn't seem interested.

We drove straight to The Old Ground Hotel, which we've used before, and had a wonderful night’s stay.

The hotel probably isn’t a bad place, but I was incensed that the parking wasn’t as described, and the desk staff were totally uninterested.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Wexford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2009

I stayed here on business recently. There was a very good corporate rate and I was pleased with the room and big comfortable bed. The decor is fairly modern but some dodgy paintwork and scratches on the walls. There was no kettle in the room but i got a free cup of tea at the bar. Would prefer a kettle in the room though. There were no toiletries in the bathroom, but with the good rate I got i didnt mind too much. The strange thing was no one came to clean the room during the three nights i stayed there! I did have loads of towels to keep me going. The staff were very friendly but they need to get the cleaners in! Would not say its a 4 star. The tv was very fuzzy too and really only had about 5 channels. Friends said the restaurant was good and very reasonable but I didnt eat there. Car parking is very limited, only about 6 spots but i got one every day.

• Liked — Cheap and cheerful
  • Disliked — No one cleaned the room once in 3 days!
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cork
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2008

I visited Ashford Court Hotel last Friday and would like to say how impressed I was with the hotel,
my room 314 was beautifully appointed and extremely well kept. I would be very happy to recommend the hotel to anyone.
-----

• Liked — The standard of the acomodation
  • Disliked — a little difficult to find
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. Consistent with some of the other reviewers, it is a little tricky to find. The receptionist was pleasant enough, however, we were offered no help with luggage. Given that it is rated a 4 star hotel I was expecting more. Our room was tiny but had a king size bed. The view was over the garbage area. Housekeeping was not so good. We returned to our room one evening and dirty glasses and coffee cup were left in the room and there was no toilet paper. As for the positive, we ate in the restaurant one night and liked it a lot. The bed was quite comfortable with down pillows, comforter, and soft white sheets. We were also glad to have the free wifi.

• Liked — The bed and free wifi
  • Disliked — smallness of room and location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wicklow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

We came upon this little gem after having the horror of another hotel we booked being a complete dump (Auburn Lodge), from the minute we checked into the Ashford Court Hotel the staff were amazing!!!! bent over backwards to make sure we had everything we needed.
The room was perfect, had a great breakfast and amazing dinner in the Italian restaurant down stairs.
The hotel is modern, clean and friendly and only a stroll from the town centre. I will gladly stay here again, and luck forward to it.
Laura McCormick
Wicklow

Stayed September 2008
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

Thie is a nice hotel, but good luck finding it. Luckily for us the bus driver (from Shannon Airport) took the time to let us off in the vicinity then pointed ("Its that way,") There is no address, only a street name, so we only found it by asking three separate people who vaguely pointed down a side street. A taxi will cost you 7 Eruos. The pavement leading up to and away from it was frequently broken and unusable. Not a very good start. The room was fine and the breakfast terrific, but the TV had only three channels and boring programs, The news channel usually showed two or three guys talking and vidos of the newspaper headlines. The desk gave us a hand drawn map which was usable but we got a much better one from the Sicilian restaurant where we ate both nights. There may be pubs nearby (which was our goal,) but no one could tell us where. We found one next day down near the information place in the center of town but that is not that close to the hotel.
In town there is a nice small musuem and we took the trip to the Cliffs of Moher, which were spectacular , and the bus trip there and back through the countryside was pleasant.
There seemed to be any number of B&Bs and other small hotel nearer the center of town. I would check them out before reserving in the Ashford Court Boutique

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Ashford Court Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!