“Simply The Best” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 77 Restaurants in Ennis
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the heart of the bustling town of Ennis, Knox's is an enduringly popular local pub and bistro with an engaging and convivial atmosphere, establishing it as one of the most popular venues for nightlife and entertainment. Exposed stone and brickwork and wooden beams give the interior a rustic charm, while fresh local produce sets off the brasserie-style dishes on the menu in the upstairs restaurant. All sporting events including Championship hurling and football, Premiership games, Champions League, Six Nations and the Heineken Cup are all shown live in the bar. The resident DJs and live music will have you dancing and with the late night bar extension from Thursday to Sunday, Knox's keeps the lively and friendly crowd buzzing late into the night. Knox's is the ideal entertainment venue with Live Music five nights a week as well as DJs, pub quizzes and lots more. Free Wi-Fi is available throughout the bar for all customers.
New York City, New York
“Simply The Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

after our last vist to ireland in may we recommended to our friends that travelled there in early june to dine in knoxs, we are just after having dinner with them now and they are still talking about the meal they had in knoxs, "SIMPLY THE BEST " they had in ireland, the waitress even gave them homemade brown bread to bring back to the hotel.......we cant wait to go back there again next year..

Newark, Delaware
“What a nice surprise in a great little town.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011

On the advice of many tripadvisor members, I made it a point to stop in Ennis for a few pints. It was close to dinner time so we decided to eat there as well. I just can't say enough about the food. Typical bar food in the US is usually deep fried and just OK. Well, I ordered the bangers and mash and my wife ordered the vegetable soup, which was more like a thick bisque and a salad. It also came with a plate of fresh butter and that wonderful brown bread that they serve everywhere in Ireland. I could hardly finish the bangers, and had to leave at least half of the mashed potatoes. Our server, who I think was also the evening manager, was very attentive and friendly. We asked a few questions about the area and he provided us with more than enough information about Ennis. We had reservations in another town, or else we'd have stayed in Ennis and eaten there again before we left.

• Visited May 2011
Cork, Ireland
“Extremely disappointing - 1 dish out of 6 reached a good standard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I planned a surprise night away in Ennis with my boyfriend and consciously decided to go here for dinner because of the good reviews I'd read. I was extremely disappointed with the evening from the moment we arrived in the restaurant (We arrived 20mins before our reservation and had a drink downstairs in the bar, which was very pleasant) We arrived and had to wait a few moments to be seated by a very flustered waiter, it was clear from the get go that the restaurant was understaffed. We sat at the table for quite some time waiting to place our order, approximately 20mins (the waitress who took our order did apologise for this) and then waited a further 25mins for our starters to arrive. My boyfriend ordered Caesar salad; it was your average salad with a very bland dressing. I order Bruchetta; it was warm rather than hot and certainly didn't set the world alight in terms of flavour maybe because it was missing the pesto as per the menu. My boyfriend ordered filet steak for his main course, which was the high point of the whole meal; it was extremely tasty and cooked very well. I ordered seabass and cannot convey my disappointment; it was cooked but ruined by sauces which had gone cold (they obviously been put on the plate far in advance of the fish). In addition, two of the three sauces were (once again) not as per the menu; the white wine sauce had no trace of white wine and the lemon butter was missing - I couldn't actually tell which sauce the one on the plate was meant to be. The chips were enjoyable but I could have paid a hell of a lot less for nice chips. The deserts were extremely poor, I ordered chocolate fondant which was so overdone that it was not runny in the centre. Basically it was just chocolate sponge. The icecream served with it was quite nice. My boyfriend ordered crumble, which tasted like cardboard. We both left over 90% of our deserts. The waitress apologised once again for the poor service all evening when we were leaving, which was nice, however the food is the main reason for my poor rating. Obviously, when Knox's gets busy, their standards drop a lot.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Limerick, Ireland
“Perfect Irish Stew :D”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Had the Irish stew in here the other day. Great value at €7.95 and the nicest I have tasted apart from my mothers home made version. Fast service and very clean bar.

Cork, Ireland
“Amazing Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Just back from a long wknd trip to Ennis, Which i really enjoyed! Its was made better by my trip Knoxs.my self n my boyfriend went out the nite b4 for a few drinks,Ended up in Knoxz, We had a great time,Cocktails were fab n at a great price. Heard a lot bout about the food in there..So the next evenin, we dragged our hungover bobies back.. Theres a Bistro up stairs (Which we found a little expensive) but they have a GREAT bar menu. Very reasonable pieces..The waiter/Barman was very Pleasent..n wasted no time in serving us. It was quiet in there but it was a Bank Holiday Mon... Had AMAZING Chicken Fajitas n ''The WOLDS BEST Steak Sandwich'' my boyfriends words.. I would go back time n time again...It made my wkend

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere