“1 million times improvement Service, standards and friendliness.. Great weekend break.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Dumbuck House Hotel

You added The Dumbuck House Hotel to your Saves list
The Dumbuck House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Glasgow Road, Dumbarton, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park G821EG, Scotland   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Dumbarton
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011 via mobile

I have stayed at the Dumbuck occasionally when visiting family and although the stay was always ok...the hotel was bit shabby.

HELLO new Dumbuck ..
Well I thought I was in a different Hotel.. It's new, fresh, modern very chic... Beautifully decorated.

Upon arrival I was greeted whom
I assume was the manager, who welcomed us, took us to the newly refurbished budget rooms even offered to carry our bags which you see very ofern.. £40 we paid and it was the best room ive stayed in for years.. New bathroom with separate shower, new bed,linun even towels.
Fantastic and very roomy..
There was a couple of things that was missing such as a hair dryer, and mirror and glasses for the barhroom. however I was informed this would be rectified immediately.
We were planning to eat out, however Lee (manager) talked us into trying the new restaurant and offered us a complimentary glass of wine if we dined.. So of course we did.. Bangers n mash was fantastic and the sea bream was so lovely and succulent,
the ambiance the service, music and staff. Made our weekend perfect.
A great thank you I will certainly be coming back and wish the new hotel all the best. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Having just been reopened after flood damage we decided to try the refurbushed restaurant. Our bottle of white wine was warm and our replacement came in a large ice filled jug (presumeably from the kitchen) as they did not have any wine chillers. I was finished my starter before my wifes one arrived. After ordering a steak i was told 15 mins later that this was not available. The staff were obviously new to the business and not customer friendly when dealing with my complaint about the time taken for our meal to arrive. After complaining to the manageress i could see where the restaurant staff learnt ther manners as she had absolutely none. I have been dining here for a good number of years but have noticed a downward turn since it was taken on by the present owner. Previously it was owned by the present owner of the nearby Abbotsford hotel when it was proffessionaly run in all depatments. I definately wont be spending my hard earned money in this very inexperienced run establishment.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

This hotel has just been reopened after a major flood. I have not stayed there however have eaten in the restaurant. Service was very good and the food was of a high standard. Will definitely return. New manager extremely helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011 via mobile

I along with 3 members of my family went to the hotel restaurant for a meal.
We arrived at 6.15 and there was three other tables taken apart from that the place was empty.
There also was 3 waiting staff & what looked to be 3 management staff.
We were given our menu's immediately (limited) & drinks fairly quickly. However after ordering we waited 50 minutes for our food - with no explanation or apology. Interestingly two different waiting staff were attentive enough to ask if we required more drinks?
Finally the food arrived. The food was not good at all. For instance Angus stroganoff - more mushrooms than beef (maximum 5 pieces) which was of poor quality. The presentation of this dish leaves a lot to be desired!
Also burger & chips the burger meat was substantial but was within a cheap burger bap (ie the type you would find in a McDonalds cheese burger only worse quality). The burger was ordered with cheese (50p extra) only there was barely any cheese on the burger. It had one lettuce leaf & one slice of tomato.
The chips that accompanied the burger were ok if not for the questionable portion.
I had to ask the waitress for condiments? She left then came back to the table to inform me that another waitress would bring the sauce etc? I was speechless. When the other waitress arrived half the burger meal was eaten.
The whole experience was dreadful. I had came up from down south & was looking forward to a nice family meal.
I decided to inform the manager with a view to giving some constructive feedback.
The manager a tall older chap with dark hair immediately became defensive & quite aggressive in his tone. He informed me that there had been 5 complaints over the weekend but on balance they had served over 700 customers?
He then asked me to be specific about what I did not like about the meal. When I did this he assumed I was looking for a discount. I was astonished & completely appalled by the display of unprofessionalism.
I explained that I did not want a discount that I would pay for the food however would never return.
The dumbuck hotel may have had a renovation but the aesthetics certainly (money does not buy style) are not reflected in the quality of the food.
As for the staff I have experienced a better display of customer service within a fast food restaurant (hence I avoid them at all costs).
Long story short this is a jumped up pub grub restaurant which is over priced & has a manager with an over inflated ego.
Word to the wise - not everyone wants to leave a restaurant in the dark to be confronted by a barking dog that's allowed to roam the car parking area.
I shall not be recommending this place to anyone & now will make it my duty to tell everyone of my horrendous experience.

• Stayed September 2011
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

I stayed for one night on saturday in one of the basic rooms offered for £30. it was clean, comfy and trendy, much better value than the travel lodge which were the same price, breakfast downstairs was delicious and very reasonably priced. Staff were able to accommodate breakfast later than usual for us and it was such a relaxing stay.
We had dinner in the restaurant Saturday night and it was packed making the atmosphere electric.
There wasn't enough seating in the bar for everyone but we told that to the manager and so hopefully that will be taken on board.

Room Tip: Annex room is where i stayed and are basic luxury. good value.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My friend and I went here for Sunday lunch, staff very attentive (decor is an acquired taste). My friend ordered tempura vegetables and I went for the pea soup, there are so many vegetables available so my friend was disappointed that the dish was all peppers with 3 mangetout, my soup was delicious really tasty so I had high hopes for the roast lamb main which we both picked mmmm it arrived with no yorkshire puds, the waitress returned to the kitchen came back with 4 'aunt bessies' which were still frozen in the middle, I could not cut my brocolli it was so hard, the lamb was overdone tough and fatty, this led us to return our mains and move on to the sweet of sticky toffee pud which we both devoured. Not great if a chef cant do his own yourkshire puds and cook a roast I question his ability these are basics not hard - disappointed to say the least. The waitress was excellent could not fault her (even she was embarrassed) we were not charged for our main. Would I return.............no because there are so many great places to eat nowadays it really would need to up it's game or change it's chef for us to go back and we had to pop into M & S to pick up some munchies.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

The hotel has just re-opened after a full refurbishment. I went along with my children and husband to the grand re-opening.
The hotel had provided a complimentary chocolate fountain with loads of treats for dipping which the children loved.
The interior is amazing and the layout has been completely changed and works much better with space available.
there is no competition in the local area for somewhere nice to stay or have a nice meal out. its a favourite with other locals too for all special occasions like birthdays and weddings and has a very good reputation in the local community.
in terms of quality and service the nearest competition is about a 20 minute drive away but they rob you unlike the dumbuck.
we went in for dinner last night and the food was fantastic, service was a little slow but staff very polite and always happy to meet any request

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Been to The Dumbuck House Hotel? Share your experiences!