“Amazing place - one of the most stunning gardens we've ever seen” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 27 Attractions in Isle of Mull
Type: Gardens, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Lip na Cloiche is a small, densely-planted garden on the Isle of Mull, open to the public. Lip na Cloiche garden is situated close to the shoreline of the Isle of Mull, and has stunning views of Loch Tuath and the Isle of Ulva. It is well worth seeing, especially if you are interested in finding out which plants are likely to thrive in the mild local climate. A wide range of such plants is available for sale throughout the year, as well as fresh eggs and many craft items made from locally "found" materials.There is no admission charge.
sunderland
23 attraction reviews
“Amazing place - one of the most stunning gardens we've ever seen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The review title says it all... beautiful gardens situated in the most fantastic setting overlooking the west coast of Mull. The owner has obviously made this a labour of love - these are not just gardens, they are a work of art. We had a cup of coffee and a cake sitting surrounded by the most lovely and unusual plants, the owner was very helpful and obviously has extensive knowledge about her plants (which we found to be reasonably priced). This is well worth a visit!

Visited June 2012

Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“The most beautiful garden I've ever seen. Lovely afternoon out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

The most beautiful and artistic garden I've ever seen. Lucy the owner has clearly worked so hard. I left feeling full of inspiration. There is no admission charge but I think it's definatly worth a donation. 5 stars from me!

Visited August 2011
Medicine Hat, Alberta
“Lovely Garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Lovely Garden created by the owner with no charge for entry

Visited April 2012
Sackville, Canada
“Memorable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

We arrived later than intended to a note on the door. Our hostess had gone to dinner with a friend. That was fine with us. We made coffee and let the cat in hoping that it was Lucy's cat. The bedroom, no, the whole downstairs was a place to be studied. The crafted found items, the collections, the glasswork, pottery, photos. And we hadn't even seen the garden yet! Lucy likes the colour blue...I liked her before I met her.
The bed was comfy and we slept the sleep of the blessed.
We met Lucy, a woman of few words, at breakfast time. Breakfast was good. Coffee was good. Weather was perhaps predictable...rain. The rain wasn't a spoiler. It added to the beauty of the place. Would I go back ...yes. Would I recommend....yes. Don't expect a chatty gushy woman. It isn't Lucy's style.

Visited May 2011
Cheshire
3 attraction reviews
“Worth seeking out - superb eccentic garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I would agree with Mystery Guest - this is a fascinating garden. The use of found objects from beach combing etcetera is inspired - it appears eccentric but works. The plants were thriving when we visited, showing a knowledgeable plants-woman is at work.
It would not suit a person with limited mobility - the paths are steep in places and quite narrow. The view from the top looking over Ulva is superb, though.
The main problem is parking - I did not know one could use the adjacent field. I wonder how many have passed on by, because of this. Fortunately the parking bay was empty.
If near Ulva Ferry, whether a gardener or not, DO visit. No entry fee (although an honesty box for donations is by the gate - unlocked!).