“Will look elsewhere next time” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Torridon, United Kingdom
“Will look elsewhere next time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

From start to finish my experience at this hotel was not the greatest at all, we have stayed at many holiday inns and understand that it is not a high end hotel but I expected more for my money.
At check in I found the staff quite abrupt, cold and standoffish.
The bed was one of the worst I have ever slept in just rolling into each other.
The sheet in the travel cot for my 1 year old was all marked and did not look the best.
The noise from the car park of shouting until the early hours.
The worst thing though was I went to the train station to drop off my mother early next morning and when I came back I went to check her room because she asked me to make sure she had not left anything and we were checking out of both rooms, the housekeeping were already in the room cleaning it which I thought was so out of order.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thanks Emma for giving us your feedback on the recent stay you had with your family, as a Holiday Inn Express we do try to provide our guests with what they need when they are away from home, and this includes standards of a very high level throughout the hotel.

I am sorry that your time with us was not as enjoyable or comfortable as it should have been. The hotel staff are always trying to make a great first impression on our guests and so your description is something that we shall give due consideration to.

In terms of the cleanliness of the bed linen, this should not have been an issue and I will be speaking with the housekeeper about this later on today. The team in housekeeping may well have seen that your mother had left her room and as she was departing, they would start to clean her room in preparation for the next arrivals, hence the hotel sometimes has rooms ready for guests who arrive at lunchtime.

Once again, thank you for your feedback

Mark Calpin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Reading, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was a guest within the hotel for two weeks due to work reasons and during that time I was very impressed with the care and concern that was shown to myself and my work colleagues.
The hotel was very comfortable made even more pleasant by the friendly and welcoming staff each day on the front desk.
Whilst all the staff were very pleasant and helpful I would like to give a special Thank you to Lynsey for her helpful advice on the local area and even providing assistance in organizing my travel plans home.
All in all I would rate the hotel 10 out of 10.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Brian for taking the time to give us your feedback on your stay with us.

It is always great to hear that our team have delivered the style and type of service that we are aiming to provide, and I have already passed on your kind remarks to Lynsey. Showing care and concern are key aspects of how the hotel aims to deliver service excellence and so it is extremely reassuring to see you use those very words!

We hope to see you again soon,

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

As a priority club member I used points to stay here as we were looking to break up our journey between climbing Ben Nevis & Scafell Pike. Location is good being close to the motorway and also being on a retail park (cinema, restaurants, supermarket etc). Check-in and check-out staff friendly. Room was clean without any frills. Some noise from interconnecting door though this didn't go on too late. Ensuite had a shower but no bath which upset the wife who was desperate for a long soak after 7 hrs climbing a mountain! Breakfast was complimentary with a decent amount of choice both hot and cold.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Stuart for the feedback on the recent stay you had with your wife at the hotel - our congratulations on the climbs, very impressive!

It is good to read that you found the team to be friendly and sorry about the absence of the bath - the brand have taken the use of Express to include the time spent in the bathroom, so no hanging about in a bath!

Bedfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the fact I am a Priority Club Member and it was near to my next appointment;It is a 6 hour trip from my home base so i was fairly chilled when I arrived.All I needed to do was book in ,eat and sleep.lovely welcome from Kate on arrival,my room was clean and acceptable.Food and Drinks downstairs was efficient and friendly and I must say that the staff were all welcoming and would engage me eye to eye.Check out simple and friendly.
Thank you to Mark and his Team.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you "Mr Bedfordshire" for the review of your stay with us, it is always good to read that the hotel has been easy to use and enjoy.

I will pass on your remarks to Kate when I see her tomorrow, it was nice of you to comment upon this as it does mean a lot to the team members involved.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again the next time you are in the area.

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night with other half as were watching Bruce Springsteen at Hampdon Park. Easy to find (right off the motorway) parking was fine. Room clean although did seem to roll into middle of bed that night. Shower is set room type which may bother some people.

Staff were lovely, we arrived back at midnight and were able to have a couple of drinks in the bar. Breakfast average however as you would expect in any chain hotel. At £120 a room more than i would usually pay but would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business on the 16th June. The room was fine. Bathroom very clean and bed comfortable however I was kept awake for much large parts of the night by the noise coming from the interconnecting room. I notice this has been mentioned a lot here and I strongly advise that management stop placing people in these rooms unless they are going to use the connecting facility. It was indeed as if the other people, some children chatting in French were just a few feet away. Hardly a crime but given that there is not a standard wall it becomes a problem.

My other complaint which was "listened " to on my departure was that expotel booked me on a dinner b&b rate. The reception staff on arrival were very polite however there was no restaurant facility available last night. Instead I was told that I could go to Frankie and Benny's or select from a reduced menu. Being alone, I didn't want to sit in F&B alone so I chose the in house menu. I could choose a panini, nachos or a Chicago Town pizza. This is not acceptable and I look forward to hearing the justification from management as to how you can price a supermarket pizza, blatantly described as that at £12.50?!!! They are currently in the supermarket at £3. My local Italian which serves log fired pizza charges 9.95 in the centre of Edinburgh! This is outrageous and is simply designed to rip customers off at a 400%+ mark up. The nachos I had we're equally ridiculous at 6.50 . Totally dry and served with ice cold salsa and meagre amount of cheese.

Starving from this experience, I went down for the included continental breakfast as I was told that this was what was included. the continental selection consisted of 4 individual yogurts toast and cereal. Perhaps more was added later but that's all that I could see.

If you are a business traveller and require dinner I would strongly advise to go somewhere else. I noticed the restaurant is advertised on the website but this appears to just be a false way of securing revenue unless they refund expotel for the dreadful microwaved rubbish I was offered at massively inflated prices. Yes you are close to other options however I was tied to eat here due to the expotel rate. I would advise all business travellers to reconsider booking here at dbb.

I will avoid in future and aim for one of the chains that can offer better facilities. Also no wifi in the rooms. I found that strange given how modern the hotel was.

The staff at reception listened to what I had to say and said thank you for my feed back. I look forward to hearing some kind of explanation for this.

Room Tip: Ask for one without an inter-connecting door
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you Mr Armstrong for your feedback on the stay that you had with us on Sunday night.

I am sorry that your time with us was not as comfortable or an enjoyable as it could have been, the use of the interconnecting rooms is something which we try to manage in an effective way, and from your feedback, this was not done as well as it should have been.

In terms of the dining aspect, the hotel offers a full menu on Monday to Thursday nights and at other times, we have our 24hr snack menu available. The snack menu is meant to provide guests with the option to dine in the hotel, however, it should be of an acceptable quality and we shall look into the comments you made about the dishes that your ordered. The rate which you were booked on was not a dinner b&b rate, rather it was a b&b rate with a dinner allowance, and as the bar menu was not in operation on the Sunday evening, hence our offer to dine at Frankie & Benny's.
The complimentary breakfast that we provide for all our guests includes yoghurt, a choice of breads, five cereals, bread rolls, croissants, fruit, sausages, scrambled egg, beans, choice of fruit juices, teas & coffee. The cold items are generally ready before 6.30am for guests who require an early start, but all items should have been in place after 6.30am, so I am puzzled as to your comment about only three things being there.
Do let me know the next time you are coming through to the area and I will ensure that your stay with us is as good as we both would wish. My email address is gm.hamilton@holidayinnexpress.org.uk

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My first visit to this hotel and I thought it was very good. A friendly welcome was offered when checking in and my room request was honoured. The room itself was clean and well maintained and the bed was comfortable. I had dinner in the bar area and had the burger which was very nice and was freshly cooked, although the food prices can't be described as competitive. There were no disturbances during the night and the shower was nice and warm. Breakfast in the morning was the standard HIEX offering and the seating area was clean and tidy. The biggest bug bear is the car park which is a bit of a trek especially if you can't get parked near the hotel on arrival. I enjoyed the stay and would visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Chris for providing us with the comments upon your stay with us.

Just to let you know for your next visit, there is a ramp access to the hotel from the car park as well as the stairs at the side of the hotel. I am trying to see if there is any way to put an extra deck on the car park, but it may take a while to get it sorted!

Mark Calpin

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hamilton? Share your experiences!