“Business Stop over” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Bedfordshire
“Business Stop over”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the fact I am a Priority Club Member and it was near to my next appointment;It is a 6 hour trip from my home base so i was fairly chilled when I arrived.All I needed to do was book in ,eat and sleep.lovely welcome from Kate on arrival,my room was clean and acceptable.Food and Drinks downstairs was efficient and friendly and I must say that the staff were all welcoming and would engage me eye to eye.Check out simple and friendly.
Thank you to Mark and his Team.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you "Mr Bedfordshire" for the review of your stay with us, it is always good to read that the hotel has been easy to use and enjoy.

I will pass on your remarks to Kate when I see her tomorrow, it was nice of you to comment upon this as it does mean a lot to the team members involved.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again the next time you are in the area.

Mark Calpin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night with other half as were watching Bruce Springsteen at Hampdon Park. Easy to find (right off the motorway) parking was fine. Room clean although did seem to roll into middle of bed that night. Shower is set room type which may bother some people.

Staff were lovely, we arrived back at midnight and were able to have a couple of drinks in the bar. Breakfast average however as you would expect in any chain hotel. At £120 a room more than i would usually pay but would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business on the 16th June. The room was fine. Bathroom very clean and bed comfortable however I was kept awake for much large parts of the night by the noise coming from the interconnecting room. I notice this has been mentioned a lot here and I strongly advise that management stop placing people in these rooms unless they are going to use the connecting facility. It was indeed as if the other people, some children chatting in French were just a few feet away. Hardly a crime but given that there is not a standard wall it becomes a problem.

My other complaint which was "listened " to on my departure was that expotel booked me on a dinner b&b rate. The reception staff on arrival were very polite however there was no restaurant facility available last night. Instead I was told that I could go to Frankie and Benny's or select from a reduced menu. Being alone, I didn't want to sit in F&B alone so I chose the in house menu. I could choose a panini, nachos or a Chicago Town pizza. This is not acceptable and I look forward to hearing the justification from management as to how you can price a supermarket pizza, blatantly described as that at £12.50?!!! They are currently in the supermarket at £3. My local Italian which serves log fired pizza charges 9.95 in the centre of Edinburgh! This is outrageous and is simply designed to rip customers off at a 400%+ mark up. The nachos I had we're equally ridiculous at 6.50 . Totally dry and served with ice cold salsa and meagre amount of cheese.

Starving from this experience, I went down for the included continental breakfast as I was told that this was what was included. the continental selection consisted of 4 individual yogurts toast and cereal. Perhaps more was added later but that's all that I could see.

If you are a business traveller and require dinner I would strongly advise to go somewhere else. I noticed the restaurant is advertised on the website but this appears to just be a false way of securing revenue unless they refund expotel for the dreadful microwaved rubbish I was offered at massively inflated prices. Yes you are close to other options however I was tied to eat here due to the expotel rate. I would advise all business travellers to reconsider booking here at dbb.

I will avoid in future and aim for one of the chains that can offer better facilities. Also no wifi in the rooms. I found that strange given how modern the hotel was.

The staff at reception listened to what I had to say and said thank you for my feed back. I look forward to hearing some kind of explanation for this.

Room Tip: Ask for one without an inter-connecting door
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Thank you Mr Armstrong for your feedback on the stay that you had with us on Sunday night.

I am sorry that your time with us was not as comfortable or an enjoyable as it could have been, the use of the interconnecting rooms is something which we try to manage in an effective way, and from your feedback, this was not done as well as it should have been.

In terms of the dining aspect, the hotel offers a full menu on Monday to Thursday nights and at other times, we have our 24hr snack menu available. The snack menu is meant to provide guests with the option to dine in the hotel, however, it should be of an acceptable quality and we shall look into the comments you made about the dishes that your ordered. The rate which you were booked on was not a dinner b&b rate, rather it was a b&b rate with a dinner allowance, and as the bar menu was not in operation on the Sunday evening, hence our offer to dine at Frankie & Benny's.
The complimentary breakfast that we provide for all our guests includes yoghurt, a choice of breads, five cereals, bread rolls, croissants, fruit, sausages, scrambled egg, beans, choice of fruit juices, teas & coffee. The cold items are generally ready before 6.30am for guests who require an early start, but all items should have been in place after 6.30am, so I am puzzled as to your comment about only three things being there.
Do let me know the next time you are coming through to the area and I will ensure that your stay with us is as good as we both would wish. My email address is gm.hamilton@holidayinnexpress.org.uk

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My first visit to this hotel and I thought it was very good. A friendly welcome was offered when checking in and my room request was honoured. The room itself was clean and well maintained and the bed was comfortable. I had dinner in the bar area and had the burger which was very nice and was freshly cooked, although the food prices can't be described as competitive. There were no disturbances during the night and the shower was nice and warm. Breakfast in the morning was the standard HIEX offering and the seating area was clean and tidy. The biggest bug bear is the car park which is a bit of a trek especially if you can't get parked near the hotel on arrival. I enjoyed the stay and would visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Thank you Chris for providing us with the comments upon your stay with us.

Just to let you know for your next visit, there is a ramp access to the hotel from the car park as well as the stairs at the side of the hotel. I am trying to see if there is any way to put an extra deck on the car park, but it may take a while to get it sorted!

Stonehaven, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed over 07/06/13 with family of 4. Friendly staff and a quality breakfast..Rooms clean and spacious for 2 adults 2 kids. Recommended for a Glasgow visit (15 mins to centre) or an en- route stay.

Corcoran Family

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thanks Joe for the feedback on your family's stay with us - delighted that you found the hotel to be convenient for Glasgow, hopefully we will see you all again soon, either this year or next for the Commonwealth Games, as it is only a couple of stops on the train?

Derbyshire, UK.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We stayed one night over the bank holiday weekend. The car park was busy but we found a space and checking into the hotel was fine. The room was made up ready for a family and smelled very clean and fresh.

We found the bar to be expensive and the general area around the bar to be cramped. From the lounge area there was an impressive view of a dumped shopping trolley on the verge which the street cleaner carefully cleaned around.

The bed was uncomfortable and we found ourselves falling into the middle of it. We did tell recpetion as we left and was told that they would let housekeeping know but the rooms are generally used by single people.

Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn express fayre and fine for what we paid.

Generally the staff were very helpful and attentive.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMHamilton, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hamilton, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Jo

Thanks for the review that you have left following your recent stay with us.

Within the hotel we do try to provide a clean, comfortable stay for all of our guests, so sorry that you found our bar area to be cramped, as the mixture of seating styles and areas usually allows something for everyone. In terms of the rogue shopping trolley, it has been returned to its store, but there was no pound coin to be had unfortunately!

It is good of you to mention the service that you received from the staff - every one of us does try to deliver warm, friendly service at all times, so it is good to have the reinforcement.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stopped here on journey home from Aberdeen. Difficult to check in due to crowds of people spilling over from the bar. Parking difficult and not clearly marked. Wasn't told where I could get food with my allowance. Room was clean but very noisy outside on corridor all night. No staff in the breakfast room so nobody to assist when another guest set the toaster on fire!
I have no intention of staying here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Hi Nat

My apologies to you that your recent stay with us was not as either of us would have liked.

There was a large group in the hotel during your stay and despite the best efforts of the hotel to lessen the impact that such a group had, there were still some areas where the presence of the group was felt. The people in the group were made up of a number of individual bookings and it was not until they were in the hotel that they were congregating together.

The staff on duty should have been able to provide you with assistance with regards to dining options in the hotel and various places outwith the hotel in the local area, so I do not understand why they did not do so on this occasion,

If you were to consider returning to the hotel, do let me know and I will ensure that the correcet arrangements are in place for your dining and accommodation requirements,

Mark Calpin

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hamilton? Share your experiences!