“Chips Amazing!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Scotland
“Chips Amazing!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Ate lunch here yesterday with my husband and I give it 5 out of 5!. To start we both had the mussels which were delicious, the best we've had in a long time! For my main I had the fishcakes which came with delicious home made chips which weren't even advertised on the menu. The lunch menu is great value and they have Birra Moreti on draft (take note MR PIA of BAD BINGS). The staff were very pleasant and attentive and we were not rushed. Will definitely be back.

Manio L, Owner at Cafe Eataliano, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi Suzi1005, thank you for your great review, we are glad you enjoyed your lunch with us. The kitchen staff are great, peel all the potatoes and hand cut them which makes them that wee bit special. We hope to see you again soon.

Hamilton, Scotland
“Not good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Very average...was like it came straight out the microwave! Been before though when it first opened & the pizza was lovely...very dissapointing

Visited August 2013
Manio L, Manager at Cafe Eataliano, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Hi KirstyK, thank you for taking time to send us your review. I am sorry that you were not happy with, I can only assume, your Pizza on your last visit. I wish you had brought this to our attention when you were in so that we could have the opportunity to resolve this for you. We hope that you can give us another try and have the Pizza you had again on your first visit. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.
Scotland
“Excellent food at reasonable prices but watch out for the drinks.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Eataliano is located outwith the main town centre area, therefore requires a short walk to get there. It is situated directly opposite the Sheriff Court and University of the West Scotland buildings, and as a result, can be busy at lunchtimes.

This was my first visit to this establishment, and I am pleased to say it was right up there with the best. You will receive excellent service, a great choice of food, but the drinks are overpriced. £4.85 for a pint shandy and £1.85 for a half pint lemonade and lime is unacceptable.

There is private parking located to the rear of the business for approx 10-2 cars, be aware however at busy times this is full. The restaurant has disabled access via a level entry main door.

Upon entering we were shown to a table by a pleasant waitress. The main area of the restaurant is open-plan, although there are some private window booths available. I suspect if you want to have a more private dining experience then you will have to book in advance.

The restaurant is fairly new as is the décor therefore, and has a modern, yet authentic rustic Italian feel predominantly through the use of natural earthy colours. The whole place had a clean look and feel to it.

The staff here knows their business, which was obvious from the moment we stepped through the door. Helpful, attentive, knowledgeable and pleasant. We were provided with menus, both the a la carte and the lunchtime special, and then left to browse same at our leisure. A short time later drinks orders were taken and duly delivered. My order for a pint of lemonade and lime had been mistaken for a half pint. Without fuss, this was promptly changed. Thankfully I was only charged the half pint price of £1.85!!

We opted to eat from the a la carte menu, which has an excellent selection from pizza, pasta, meat, chicken, and fish; - there should be something to suit everyone here.

Our starters were a bowl mussels in a white wine, cream and garlic sauce served with two slabs of garlic bread at £6.95 and a serving of king prawns in a tomato and chilli sauce, again served with the garlic bread. The latter was priced at £6.50. There were no complaints whatsoever with the starters which were delicious, and promptly scoffed leaving clean plates all round.

Mains were a tagliatelle carbonara and a tagliatelle gambaroni. A nice wee touch here was the option to choose from 4 different types of pasta. Again no complaints, the pasta was cooked to perfection, soft but still with that bite, and coated in delicious sauces. My gambaroni dish contained 5 king prawns which to my mind could have come out of the pan 2 minutes earlier, but hey, this establishment isn’t pretending to be Michelin quality, and what I received was of a very high standard indeed. Cost of the mains was £8.95 and £9.95 respectively. Given my 5 king prawns, this was excellent value for money. We also opted to have a side order of garlic bread and mozzarella at £3.50.
I had the dessert of the day. A meringue with vanilla ice cream and strawberries with whipped cream, while my dining companion had a cappuccino. This, along with the drinks prices was the only complaint of the meal. I know I’ve said this before, and no doubt I’ll say it again, but why oh why do kitchens, who have excellent chefs who go to the trouble of making their own meringues, topped with a lovely creamy Italian ice cream insist on using canned ‘squirty’ UHT cream. It surely cannot be beyond the capability of a kitchen to whip up a bowl of cream as opposed to using this poor excuse of a substitute. Take note management – ditch the canned cream, you’re so much better than this!

So all in all, it's a well deserved 4 stars, only kept off that top 5 star review by the drink prices and the elusive whipped cream.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for your informative and complimentary review. I apologise if you feel our drink prices are expensive but we have reviewed most local businesses drink prices. For example, the cheapest draught soft drink is £2.55 with another restaurant, and for the same amount bottled (we do not have draught), we are £1.85. We do feel we are quite competitive and do keep an eye on our competitor prices. I totally agree with you regarding the cream issue, we are addressing this issue now and hope to have this resolved very quickly. We do hope that you will visit us again and look forward to seeing you. Thanks again the-travel-writer.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Superiori Vino🍷”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

popped in only for the second time, apart from the staff being extremely helpful the proprietor "Mario" took time to share our appreciation of his families wonderful Brunello Di Montalcino Molto Buono e Grazie Mille

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello MattoScozzese, thank you very much for your lovely review. Manio is always delighted to speak to customers and share his story about his Vineyard in Italy. We are delighted you enjoyed the Brunello and hope to see you again soon, grazie mille.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed will defo be back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Lovely food , staff friendly and very welcoming , only one little complaint was we were sitting near the door and air condition was on so my husband found it cold ..he went to gents toilet and said it was Baltic ... He said next time he visits he will need to wear a cardigan or jacket. Definitely go back , would highly recommend it ....

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi Carol T, thank you very much for your 5 star review. We are so sorry that you found the restaurant cold. We have air conditioning which can be quite chilly if it gets cold outside but can be a blessing if it is sunny outside. We will sort this now as the Autumn is fast approaching and will get the heating on, thanks.