“Visit 28-02-2013” 5 of 5 stars

Description: .
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Visit 28-02-2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Visited for dinner last night. It wasn't my first visit and it won't be my last either! Food fantastic as always, portions still massive! One word of advice, if you fancy a dessert, don't order a starter and a main, we did and had no chance at the dessert! Waitresses helpful and fast service. Overall, no complaints!

Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Good was great, staff not so great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Have eaten in carrigans many times and like a lot of people, I can't fault the portions of food if its good honest pub grub you're after. Nothing fancy but I knew what to expect and was happy with this, quality reflects the price (steak pie like your granny would make £8 ish) however I find the staff quite unfriendly and have felt this the last few times I have been. They seem so disinterested and huff and puff if you ask for anything out with your order, really is quite off putting. I was scared to ask for the desert menu! I realise this place is so popular but I think it's more to do with the loyalty of the local customers. Mr Carrigan beware, no matter how good the food is, if the staff have faces like torn pockets, people will be put off eventually!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Excellent food & big portions”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I went to carrigans on a Saturday afternoon was really busy you need to book, they offer a no frills menu for lunch that is really reasonable & you get a big size meal for what you pay for! We all got half pizza half pasta for 6.95 was very good. I also noticed someone getting the steak pie from the main menu was massive and he finished every bit.

Fab place & will be returning soon.

Wishaw, United Kingdom
“great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

great service, great food, cant fault this place. my father in law is in a wheelchair, thinking it was a problem was so wrong, the young waitress brought out a portable ramp to let us get him to and from the table, top notch

Scotland
“Excellent food, unsurpassable service, huge portions - what more do you need?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

In the interests of fairness to the management of this establishment, my last review criticised them for their failure to react to my written complaint. Upon reading my review I was contacted by Barry Carrigan, who, explained that they had never received any letter of complaint from me. After providing further details to him relevant to the circumstances, he apologised and explained that the failures of the restaurant on my last visit was simply down to the fact that it had been the busiest night of the festive season, and he was aware of those problems. So it appears management do indeed read these reviews and react accordingly when necessary - well done, it's nice to see you are listening to your paying customers. Word of mouth advertising is simply the best and by attempting to rectify problems, shows your dedication to ensuring return custom.

Whilst I was invited to return to give the restaurant a further opportunity, I did not avail myself of this opportunity preferring to remain impartial and paying for our dining, nor did I advise as to the date of my visit, and Mr Carrigan did not have my private name to identify my booking with.

So back to the actual review. On the evening of my visit, a Saturday, deliberately chosen to see how they would cope on one of the busiest nights of their working week, the bar area was busy, as was the restaurant, but we were approached immediately upon arrival by a waitress, who checked our booking before showing us to our table.

There were some party bookings evident with balloons on tables etc, and the atmosphere was noisy, therefore if it's a romantic table for two you're after, candlelit dining, soft music etc I suggest you perhaps consider somewhere else. The restaurant is mostly open plan and there are no "private" dining areas for just a couple. If you have a small party however the restaurant does provide a private dining area upstairs - advance bookings are essential for this however.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. The success or failure of any restaurant these days is linked to three things, quality of food, pricing structure and staff. In the case of the latter, the waiting staff really are some of the best. Helpful, attentive, pleasant and knowledgeable (I quizzed mine about some of the ingredients in a dish). It's such a breath of fresh air these days to find staff who genuinely enjoy their work, and that shows in their dealings with customers. I also believe its important to acknowledge such matters.

One of the most difficult tasks you'll have in this establishment is actually choosing from the menu. It's vast, with pages dedicated to steaks, pasta, pizza and european - sometimes with a wee scottish flavour added in, and that's just the mains. There's also a page of starters and desserts, not to mention teas, coffees and liqueurs. I am surprised the kitchen manages to deal so well with such a huge varied menu, but on the basis of this visit they coped pretty well.

Our starters were a mix of Louisana chicken, home-made pâté, and a chilli beef nachos. the chicken was tender, soft and succulent and with just the right amount of batter. Served with a side salad and Louisana barbecue sauce my daughter said it was delicious. My son had the pâté, which was three quenelles, a side salad, 2 slices of toast and a Cumberland sweet sauce. The pâté was smooth, had a lovely taste with no bitter aftertaste, all too common with shop bought versions. One of my gripes in the past is that restaurants never serve enough toast or butter with pâté dishes. That's not the case here, 2 slices toast cut into triangles, and two good portions shaped butter enough to cover all the toast. My starter of chilli beef nachos was the dish the waitress was quizzed about and who passed my test admirably. It was spicy but not mouth-burning hot, contained a good portion of nachos smothered in chilli beef, sour cream, cheese and salsa. My request for more sour cream was attended to promptly and arrived at the table within 5 minutes of my request. The service of the starters was uneventful, it was prompt and efficient, who needs more than that. Starter prices were very reasonable for what we ordered and portion sizes were standard for John Carrigans Eating House - huge! Pate was £5.50, chicken £5.75 and nachos at £5.25.

Our mains consisted of two 'Highlander' steaks and a Penne pasta piccante (this is the restaurants own spelling and not my mistake). The steaks are always a good test of any kitchen as our order included a medium and a rare. These were 28-day hung fillet beef steaks, served on a roundel of haggis and smothered with a sweet Drambuie cream sauce. Cooking was perfection. My rare choice was just right and the steak tore apart with a fork almost. The medium option was just as it should be red in the middle and just cooked through on the outer. We chose fries along with sautéed onions and mushrooms as our veg choice. The latter two items are included in the price of £26.95, which, to my mind is a bargain, given the quality of the meat in question. The sauce was superlative, creamy but also slightly sweet which was offset against the heat of the Paprika. My daughter opted for the pasta, which she said was cooked just right, soft but still with that wee bite to it and was coated in what she called one of the best sauces ever. The only problem with this part of the order was that the main dishes arrived first before the accompaniments, and we had to wait six minutes for the remainder of the meal to reach the table. in fairness though, the chips and sautéed mix was roasting hot, but my concern was that the steaks had started to cool off. Perhaps it might be an idea to have two waitresses deliver the full meal to a table as opposed to the one having to return to the kitchens for the remaining part of the orders.

Staff were ever attentive, checking everything was ok with our meal, checking if drinks needed topping up etc. Drinks prices are restaurant standard, however soft drinks are cheaper than many other places which was nice to see for those that have to drive after a meal. Two pints Carling shandy were £5.80, can coke at £1.30 and a pint of lemonade/lime at £2.00.

As seems to be standard for this establishment any time I've visited it's almost impossible to manage three courses due to the portion sizes, so bear that in mind when you're dining here.

The only other (very minor) gripe was the delay in obtaining the bill and then the further wait for a card machine to be brought to the table. I had to ask twice for the bill, and then had a further 10 min wait for the machine. For this reason (the delay with the mains and the bill) I've marked my review as a four star and not a five on this occasion.

I'm pretty certain that these very small issues will be taken on board by the management and addressed accordingly, as constructive criticism is always beneficial.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere