“Never Ever Again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Craig Tara

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ayr
Craig Tara
You added Craig Tara to your Saves list
Dunure Road, Ayr KA7 4LB, Scotland   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #4 of 9 Specialty Lodging in Ayr
birmingham
“Never Ever Again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2008

We stayed at Graig Tara during October half term and I cried for a week -We had travelled for 6 hours to get there and I wish I had just gone abroad.
The Chalet we were given was horiffic - On the first night we had to have our 8 year old and baby in bed with us as it was so cold. The loft hatch was open and the carpets were wet through amd to top it all off they dident move us until the next day.
The only saving grace for this park are the funstars who entertained the kids for hours on end.
As one last note this park is said to have been renovated in the brochure but thats the biggest joke ive heard all year!!!!!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — everything
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Glasgow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

I booked our holiday through the SUN £9.50 holidays for me and my partner. After recieving my booking decided to check reviews online and was horrified, i read that people got there and just went home it was that bad, but i thought no way can it be that bad that you'd ruin your holiday by going home. HOW WRONG I WAS!!! Got there and were allocated a chalet, driving towards the chalet i thought hmmm i suppose it doesnt look that bad from the outside, whereas my bf thought it looked like one of the release flats from corton vale. I opened the door of the chalet and could not believe the smell of dampness, there was mould all over the windows, the matresses were all black with god knows what, my bf described the flat as "a junkies den" it was that bad. I went up to reception to complain to be told theres nothing else al give you a refund, no apology or nothing!!! I got my refund and went outside and cried my eyes out at the thought of missing out on a hol and having to drive all the way back to glasgow!! but happy that i would be sleeping in my own bed than that hell hole. I know i got it quite cheap, but i mean i would expect somewhere clean and sleepable for your money. DO NOT GO HERE, DO NOT IGNORE THE WARNINGS THAT I DID!!! i would go to haggerston castle if you are going to book somewhere but defo do not go here.!!!

• Liked — Going hom!!
  • Disliked — Everything!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

I would never recommend this place to anyone! We have 3 children, 14, 12 and 5 months. When I booked the weeks holiday I chose a chalet thinking it would be clean warm and have a small kitchen area. What an absolute disgrace! The chalet had 2 bedrooms and a bathroom all of which were filthy, wet and mouldy. The glass in the windows was rattling in the wind and the condensation was running down the panes. The hoover obviously didn't work properly as the amount of dust round the carpet edge could've stuffed a few pillows! We booked this holiday in June and asked for a travel cot for the baby to sleep in. It wasn't in the room on arrival so we went back to reception to ask for it and we were told we would have it that evening. It never turned up so there were 3 of us in a poxy three quarter bed with a sheet that didn't fit put straight on the naff foam mattress with the plastic top ripped to shreds and the skinniest duvet you can ever imagine! After a very uncomfortable first night we asked again for the cot and also to be moved as I had nowhere to keep the baby's milk cool and it certainly isn't hygenic washing bottles in the bathroom sink! The cot finally turned up at 3.30pm on the second day with a broken base. We did get another cot but never used it as the baby could never get warm so he slept with us all the time. We had to wait another day before we could be moved into a static caravan. I was told that the accommodation was very nice that we were being moved into. That is the joke of the century! The caravan only had a small gas fire in the living area and even on full blast it never got warm. The mould was everywhere on the walls and curtains and this was certainly not a place you would like your child to be let alone yourself! To cap it all I ended up with severe food poisoning from a prawn cocktail. My baby, 12 year old and myself all slept on the sofa with the fire on as it was the only way of getting anywhere close to being a tiny bit warm. We only stayed from Saturday night until Tuesday morning and we couldn't get home fast enough. I will never go near a Haven park again.

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Mouldy, damp, freezing, unhygenic, filthy rooms.
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

Stayed for 2 nights of a week break, could not get home quick enough.

Apartments: DISGUSTING
Site : FILTHY
DO NOT STAY HERE THIS PLACE SHOULD BE CONDEMED.

• Liked — Nothing
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2008

This week i spent 4 days and nights in the lower regions of Hell. Its called Craig Tars holiday park. i spent most of the week complaining to no avail. the accomodation was filthy and a few faults which broke basic health and safety laws. piles if dirty linen left outside all over the site. dining room staff looking suspiciously like barlinnie and corton vale inmates out on day release. food like pigswill half pint glasses given with my bottle of wine as thats all they had maybe thats ok for the typical weedgie wi its polyester trackies but not for me worse holiday iv ever had am glad i didnt take the children an the majority ot the holiday makers had foul mouths worse holiday iv ever had

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

Absolute kack. Kids need fed pound coins to keep boredom at bay. Chalets, miles away from entertainment venues thus having to carry tired kids home every night, freezing and miles away. Older relatives had problems walking this distance to and from venues too. We had stated when booking that we required to be close to amenities but this was obviously ignored.

Bring back Butlins the way it was in the 70's with the free fair ground, good play parks, outdoor pools, big supermarket, Beachcomber Bar, Pig n Whistle Bar, Stuart Ballroom with fabulous views of heads of Ayr, Competitions, Bookmakers, Gaiety Theatre, and plenty of Chalets close to amenities.
All my childhood holidays were spent here. Butlins started to fail in the mid 80's when parents began allowing their unruly teenagers to run wild and do what they liked, but im sure with a strong security support this could be taken care of.

I shall be saving my hard earned wages for a holiday in the sun from now on.

• Liked — Saying cheerio
  • Disliked — The long walk back to the chalet every night in the cold/dark carrying children who were too big for prams but too young to walk and worrying about our elderly relatives having to walk home too. Nightmare!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Northern Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

I read the reviews for Craig Tara after I had booked it and dreaded what I would find on arrival. I will start with saying two things. One my three year old loved it and you can forgive a lot if your child is having a ball. Two we paid for this with Tesco vouchers and again you have lower expectations if you haven't paid a fortune.

We were there in October and expected the park to be quite quiet but it was busy and it surprised me how ill prepared Haven was for it particularly in the pool where they had sections closed because they didn't have enough life gards.

Accomodation
We stayed in a two bed chalet which had not been cleaned before we arrived. The accomodation was shabby and noisy but we spent relatively little time there.

We were staying half board and had breakfast and dinner in the Turnberry restaurant. The food was school dinners and of a quality that if you thought that's what your kids were eating you'd have Jamie Oliver there before he could say Sainsbury's.

Swimming Pool
The changing rooms were filthy, life guards were bored or rude. Again my three year old loved it but we were disappointed by how little there was for him to do as he wasn't allowed on the flumes and was terrified of the splash area.

Entertainment
The evening entertainment was fabulous for my son, he was glued to the stage and all the characters. The Bingo was the only dull part trying to keep the kids quiet for half and hour after they had been wound up by Rory the Tiger.

The daytime entertainment was poor, the funstars seem to have lost their fun and enthusiasm particularly those dealing with the under fours.

Money
This is something Haven are expert at, taking your money. From merchandise, to sweets, to balloons, to twrily lighty things, to photographs, to more photographs, to oh my are they taking more photographs, to bingo, to prize draws to a thousand other ways to get their hands on your money. Luckily our son is too young for pester power but I felt sorry for those with older kids.

• Liked — Our three year old had a ball
  • Disliked — Dirty and shabby
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Craig Tara? Share your experiences!