“Good...Just a little dissapointing” 3 of 5 stars

Kilkerran Guest House
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   15 Prestwick Road, Ayr KA8 8LD, Scotland   |
Ranked #40 of 62 Ayr B&B and Inns
London
“Good...Just a little dissapointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were in AYR for a friends engagment party and we only stayed one night in the Kilkerran Guest house. The room was loverly, big and bright. Rooms and bathroom a little run down. This was our first experenice of a B&B and we just felt a little dissapointed. We told the lady that we were going out for the party and would be late to breakfast in the morning, "not a bother i will give you a knock on the door at 10". Great we thought, but sadly no knock came and we checked out around 10:30 and she didnt offer us any breakfast ( she was wearing a cooking appron) as i think she couldnt be bothered making any. Anyway it was nice for one night maybe even two.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Good b&b within 20 min walk of town centre. Landlady very friendly and welcoming

• Stayed June 2011
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

would just love to share my experience with trip advisor for all the different hotels and b and bs this is a must ,owners are so polite accomodate your every need nothing too much for them most hygienic place ive been for long time so freindly,feels like your with family. breakfast is excellent never had such a breakfast so good every morning margaret the owner always have welcoming smile and tends to your ever need .
this guest house should have more stars as never met so many nice people that tend to any of your needs day or night always smiles laughs from all very particullar in there cleanliness mannerisam and just good fun i would highly reccomend this hotel to anyone its even pet freindly dont worry if u not pet lover this is also tended to so if ure not its dealt with. i could write and write about this place but i extremely believe you would never get a betterv place or value for money on prestwick road stayed there 5 yrs ago at the st andrews ppl there very ignorant expensive dont care about you just your money many thanks to margargaret was so good we planning to go bk in august. it was my 40th birthday and margaret even bought me a card never met a nicer person any one want to query me on this feel free. 1 other thing id like to say is if in this area do not go to the burns supper disgusting no value for money and got money mixed up which left me out of pocket . i promise you you couldnt get a better place from someone that works citizens advice bureau and in touch with trading standers.thankyou margaret and all and will be booking soon for august many thanks again for our stay you are unique wish all places could be the same andrina&scottx

Room Tip: i would have to say i dont think it matterred
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Blackpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2011

I booked this B&B for two weekend nights for a friend's wedding.

When I arrived, tired after a long drive on the Friday, there was nobody there to greet me, which I didn't see as a problem. The owner had left a note to advise which room I was to stay in, along with a key. The door to the room was actually ajar anyway, as were most others.

Upon entering the room and turning on the light I was taken aback - the room was covered in sheets and ready to be painted. There was a ladder across one of the single beds and buckets of paint on the floor. I thought there must be some mistake, but having checked the note and looked for any signs of life I decided to leave and find alternative accommodation. It was all very strange! It does not seem like a very professional establishment and the experience really put a dampner on my weekend.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Melbournw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

We stayed one night and were very pleasantly welcomed by Margaret. We had been travelling for nearly a month and could not fault either the accomodation or the marvellous breakfast. Our daughter had begun to miss oour dogs so she loved the homely touch with the animals. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

Stayed one night after a late night flight into Prestwick airport. A Taxi from the airport to the guest house wont set you back more than a tenner.
I was really impressed. The rooms were very comfortable, clean, came with tea and a kettle and a sink. The toilet was communal but neither of us were inconvenienced by this. Margaret, who clearly puts her soul into her guest house, is friendly and welcoming and makes excellent breakfast. If you ever find yourself in Ayr, stay at this guest house.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2009

After this experience I would NOT recommend Kilkerran Guest House to anyone. Booked for business accomodation.

Upon arrival (time as agreed by telephone) there was no one there. Front door was open and a key on the table. Unsure what to do, I phoned a mobile emegancy number located by the desk in hall, to get a man, clearly in a pub who suggested that owner was out with the dogs and to wait.
Another guest arrived, we both waited for over half an hour, no information on when breakfast would be served, which room allocated for us etc etc. carpets dirty and smell of damp dog. Left to find alternative accomodation. Meanwhile owner lady phoned and left a message to say she had expected me at a later time and had left a key out for me. I returned her call, out of courtesy, to advise that I would not be taking the room. She was evidently in a pub due to the background noise and became quite abusive. Not really the manner I was expecting!

Later on, I received x4 "number with held" phonecalls between 12-12.30am coincidence?

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to Kilkerran Guest House? Share your experiences!