“Fabulous venue and staff for a superb wedding” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Countdown to Christmas
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Ayr
scotland
“Fabulous venue and staff for a superb wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My husband and I attended my best friends wedding on Saturday. We stayed in a junior suite which was very spacious, spotless and all we required. The staff of the hotel were the friendliest I have ever met and were so involved with the wedding party. There were approx 170 guests and we were all served expertly and with a smile!
The food was delicious well presented and very good portions.
The layout of the ballroom was perfect and everyone had a good view of the top table which does not always happen.
We slept well and in the morning the manager Marion stopped me and asked if everything went well. I was impressed by how well she knew the wishes of the bride and groom and described them so well. The girls at the reception were all buzzing about the wedding and we shared photos with them. All the staff in this hotel should be highly commended for the service they provided to all our friends and families.
well done Western House Hotel. Thank you all.

Room Tip: room 111 was lovely
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here previously and enjoyed stay 2012
This time came for a wedding booking over a year in advance but got worse room in hotel 301, right next to main door, to be fair we didn't complain but 4 star you shouldn't have to.
Noisy heater in room
Walls paper thin (not muffled conversations literally heard all about room 302's day)
Carpet coming up
When having a shower bath fills up with water, and shower head leaks on to ceiling
Hadn't bothered to refill tea and coffee supply's had to phone room service
£110 per night, didn't include breakfast, no leisure facilities onsite so what paying for?

First time I have made a review
3 star hotel at most

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
WesternHouse014, Manager at Western House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest
We are sorry to hear that your stay with us was not up to your expectations. We are in the process of refurbishing all our Courtyard Rooms. We would be grateful if you would call our Operations Manager on 01292 294990 to discuss your comments further.

Stranraer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Great offer price for a chilling break (only £119 for two DBB)
Excellent food (husband reckons best steak he has had, with no extra supplement), lovely setting: feels like a country house retreat (despite being a mile from Ayr town Centre). Dog loved race course for morning run.
Cosy bar (I dosed off!!)
Very friendly staff: dog pampered.

Room Tip: If have dogs, lower floor of courtyard.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Many thanks for your very kind review. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We like to look after our four legged friends with a little personal touch. We look forward to welcoming you back to Western House Hotel on your next visit to Ayrshire.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Main building looked impressive - disabled parking was at the bottom of a slope so I struggled with my overnight bag, 2 crutches and handbag up wet slope to hotel reception (nearly fell as lighting was poor). Reception and lounge looked very handsome and comfortable and staff were welcoming and very pleasant, but I was shown out of the hotel main building again to a 2 storey modern building down where my car was parked.... at least a member of staff carried my bag this time. Room was on ground floor for ease of access but so-so, TV remote was sticky and needed a clean, carpet had seen better days, pillows were rock hard and shower in bath difficult to access (bathroom was freezing even with towel rail on). Had room service for dinner and breakfast as I could not manage the slope back to hotel. Lack of veggie options on menu so had sandwich, bread stale, side salad drenched in vinegar after asking for no dressing/mayonnaise etc. Continental breakfast not great and miffed to have to pay surcharge of £2.50 when B&B rate included full breakfast if taken in dining room (I had to leave at 7.15 and breakfast only started 7am so had no choice). Other people's experiences seem much better - maybe it is just me, being a female, disabled guest travelling alone....

Room Tip: I had ground floor room in annexe/lodge - must have had an elephant in the room above me judging by...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
Dear Guest
Thanks you for your review. We are disappointed to hear that your stay wit us did not live up to your expectations.Unfortunately the reservation received by us from your Booking Agent did not indicate that walking aids were required by yourself, Had we been made aware of this, we would have allocated an accessible room with a wet room. We do offer a pillow menu with a full choice of pillow types for your personal comfort. We have passed your comments with regards to your dining experiences to our Head Chef and would be grateful if you could give him a call on 01292 294990 to discuss these issues further with him.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed Sat 29th as an aniversay treat with husband, excellent value at £119 DBB and there was no suppliment at dinner so can choose anything in menu.

Lovely traditional bar with log fire in lounge. Beautiful setting, direct access to racecourse

Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. We are delighted that you found our DBB offer great value for money. We like to ensure that all our DBB's guests enjoy their dining experience with us hence the reason we do not have any restrictions or supplements on our a la carte menu.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Western House in the near future.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I booked a deal on their website we stayed in the courtyard rooms. Very clean and tidy came with lovely toilettries, shortbread, robes and slippers, sweets & tea and coffee facilities, we did need to call housekeeping to bring us more coffee as we were only supplied with 1 however received within 15 mins of calling.

We started off having afternoon tea. I was disappointed with the portion sizes reflecting the cost as I have had bigger portions at cheaper but this was made up by the fact lattes, Cappuccino's were included and we had 2 each.

We also had a 3 course dinner with no suppliment and a glass of wine. We worked out our dinner alone would have cost almost £85! Our steak was delicious and cooked perfectly! The only minor things (the main reason why I scored 4 stars) is there was a lot of fruit flies around our table we counted 6 while we were eatig which was quite annoying, having to ask for salt & pepper and a steak knife, no mayo, and they did not have the ingredients to make my mojito cocktail I had wanted his excuse was its a sunday?! . Possibly a wedding on was the reason they had run out. Very limited cocktail selection. When we asked to settle our drinks bill the waitress asked what cocktail I went for I advised it was a strawberry bramble we got the bill advising it was £8.90! It said it was £6.85 on the menu. It took around 10 mins to sort it out and the waitress advised it was the new price but the menu hadnt been updated they gave me the cocktail for £6.50 which was the price of the mojito I wanted which was good however if this is there new price for cocktails I would not
pay that not worth that expense.

My husband had a good night sleep however I found the mattress to firm and woke up a few times during the night.

We decided to pay £2.50 extra to have breakfast in our room rather than go to the restaurant and I am so glad we did! It was excellent we received 3 slices of toast, fruit and yoghurt, pot of coffee, muesli, 2 jugs of milk, scrambled eggs, 2 x bacon, 2 x sausage, black pudding and tomato (normally £9.50 pp £12 to have in room).

Staff are very helpful and friendly, hotel is stunning, and the faults I made were very minor we loved all the food. We paid £119 for dinner bed & breakfast which is excellent value considering we had over £100 worth of food! Our afternoon tea came to approx £25 that was a slight let down as would have preferred another sandwich or a couple of more cakes but was still delicious would highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2014
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My cousin and I stayed at the Western House Hotel for an overnight. We had a fabulous time. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. The staff were very friendly and helpful at all times. It would be very difficult to pick one member of staff over the others. The food both at lunch and dinner was excellent. The room we were allocated was in the main building at it was lovely and had everything you would want for your stay. We will both be recommending the hotel to family and friends and hopefully we will return in the near future.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family

Been to Western House Hotel? Share your experiences!