“Not a Nice Experience” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 140 restaurants in Ayr
Cuisines: American, European, Tapas
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night
Description: Meridian is a bright, spacious and central cafe, bar & bistro that serves contemporary food and stylish cocktails in chic cosmopolitan surroundings.
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
“Not a Nice Experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

First time we've ever walked out of a restaurant. We might be a bit thick but we inadvertantly ordered a "dine in" option from the menu. Maybe "dine in" is a bit ambiguous ?

We ordered 2 pints and were sat drinking when the pizza arrived in a box and the pasta in a plastic tub - never mind, it was an honest mistake & we asked for some plates & cutlery so we could eat it in the restaurant (we had 2 pints of beer part-drunk by this time). Incredibly they refused. We protested at this harsh treatment but the waitress said that it was not her decision.

As it was below zero outside they gave us no choice but to move to another restaurant. We won't be back !

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
RestaurantManagerAyr, Manager at The Meridian Bier Cafe, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments!

Apologies for the delay in our reply.
Our 'Dine In' offer does state that it includes any 2 pizza or pasta to carryout and I feel this is adequate explanation for what we are offering.
I will, however, apologise for you not being able to eat your food in the restaurant but the decision would be that of the Duty Manager who was working that night and is not necessarily our normal practice.
Hopefully you will come back to Meridian and that this one bad experience has not put you off.

72% Recommend
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Poor service and overpriced drinks”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

A party of 5 of us had drinks and food. I had a shandy and was shocked to see that this cost me £4.75. I noticed that I had been charged for a full pint but when questioning with the staff I was told a shandy is the same price - an embarrassing oversight for a supposedly established bar. None of the staff showed in any interest in apologising or offering some compensation.

The least the waitress could have done was warn me of this at the time of ordering to give me a chance to choose something else.

Disappointing experience and I will be advising my friends and family to avoid this chain from now on.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your comments!

Apologies for the delay in our reply.
We charge full pint price for shandys as it works outs cheaper than charging for a half pint and a glass of lemonade. Many of our draught lagers are premium and half pints are therefore priced accordingly, your drink that night would have cost 10p more than the pint that you paid.
Admittedly this price is not advertised anywhere but we would have told you this had any of your party asked.
I spoke to the girl who was serving you and she has assured me that she apologised, but quite rightly, couldn't offer you any compensation for something that had been ordered and drank.
I am sorry you were not happy with your experience.

“terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

dined tea time on a sunday night. the only waitress on floor arrived with menus saying she would be back in 2 mins for drink order.. 25 mins later wwe had to approach the bar to get order taken.. quite a few points of very poor service which made decide not to be returning in a hurry..

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
RestaurantManagerAyr, Manager at The Meridian Bier Cafe, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for your comments!
I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I can assure you it will not happen again.
We are looking into staffing levels for Sundays and there will no longer be one member of staff on. It is very hard to cover shifts when each day varies so much from the next but it is definately something that will be considered more from now on.
As you did not point out the other areas of por service I cannot comment on them although I do hope that you will give Meridian another chance as we would love to show you how well we actually do it!
Ayr, United Kingdom
“expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

food good but extremey expensive, drink prices are shocking considering the other bars around they should lower prices

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your comments! We are delighted you enjoyed our menu and food but are sorry you found our bar prices to be so expensive. Many of our lagers are imported which requires us to increase the prices of our draught lagers and beers. We do have alot of bottled beers and pints on offer however at a lower price.
We are in the process of starting a 241 cocktail deal and currently run monthly drink specials.
We hope your experience won't put you off coming back as we would love to see you again!
Wandel
“Good value pub food with great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Standard 'Scottish pub' menu plus Spanish tapas. We had a mix of soup, squid, pizza and steak pie - all were good. You could really taste the freshness of the soup ingredients in particular. Friendly, efficient service. £37.60 for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 (non-alcoholic) drinks which we thought was good value.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
RestaurantManagerAyr, Manager at The Meridian Bier Cafe, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Thank you for your comments!
I love the fact you had a wee mixture of dishes, there really is too many inviting meals on the menu to narrow it down :)
Our soups are made everyday with the best selection of freshly delivered vegetables...and I am delighted this was noted!
We are awaiting our new menu which will have extra exciting sections added in, we hope to serve you again very soon!