“Beautiful Guest House” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Beautiful Guest House”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have just spent four nights in the lovely home of Melissa and David Gambles.
The tasteful and spotlessly clean rooms are a joy, the hosts are warm and friendly and nothing is too much trouble. Breakfast was fabulous and served in the delightful conservatory. We found this lovely house by chance, but next time we visit Ayr we will stay here from choice.
The whole family including the birthday girl made us feel so very welcome and we can't wait to return. Appin House is top of my list of places to stay.

Room Tip: We had room no 2 which is situated at the rear of the house therefore very peaceful
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

We booked this bed and breakfast after checking out on trip advisor. It is all we expected and more. First class friendly welcoming and spotlessly clean. Melissa deserves the super reviews. The B and B is very central and we enjoyed some recommended wee pubs and restaurants, need to mention Saffys it's excellent! We are returning in December!!

• Stayed September 2012
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here on a recommendation. Excellent hosts, Melissa and David, keep a very clean establishment, fed us well with very good breakfasts and supplied us with very comfortable rooms and en-suite. The only downside was the absence of a residents lounge which is very much appreciated after a busy day. Having said that I would be very happy to recommend Appin House to anyone - it is priced sensibly and convenient to the Town Centre as well as to the attractions in South Ayrshire.

Room Tip: All rooms are on the first floor but we had one at the back which was quiet and away from any road n...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

From the booking process, the quick reply to emails, the warm welcome to our departure - it was smooth efficient and enjoyable.

On arrival at this well located Guest House we pulled on to their private entrance. The door was opened by Melissa who warmly showed us to our room.

The room was immaculate, even to my very critical eye. The shower room included all those extras ladies appreciate, Hand Wash, Lotion and Shower Wash in full size bottles. wipes/hairdryer and large mirrors - all which are important.

Ample wardrobe space, good room ventilation with double aspect windows and lovely quality furnishings made for a luxurious appearance.

Breakfast options included cereals, yoghurt, fruit juices, Bacon, sausage, Black Pudding, Potato Scones and Fried eggs. Alternatively there was scrambled eggs/beans on toast all served with tea/coffee and white/brown toast. I have to say the breakfast was superb, presentation excellent, and my husband had on the wipe clean breakfast menu (marked up on day of arrival and left outside our room at evening for the following day) had put 2 ticks against everything. Such was attention to detail he got the quantities of everything he had asked for.

In the room were tea/coffee making facilities with full size kettle and a wide variety of tea's and coffee with the extra addition of some refreshing bottled carbonated spring water and 2 glasses.

The bed was extremely comfortable and we slept well. All in all I cannot imagine anywhere cleaner, more comfortable or more friendly and if you throw the breakfast experience into the mix I cannot imagine this experience could be topped. It really is H"appin"ess on a plate!!

Full credit to the owners David and Melissa - a lovely friendly couple.

If I was to make any other comments it would be to include a few extra milk cartons, or indeed provide a little fresh milk for guests, as being a coffee guzzler and since I take lots of medication I drink quite a lot and we always always run out of provided milk/sugar. The biscuits provided on the coffee/tea tray were also a lovely extra addition.

If this was featured on any of the TV programmes reviewing Guest Houses it would win hands down, and the final tick box would be "would you stay again" - YOU BET WE WOULD!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here last weekend; I was met at the door by Melissa who showed me to our room which was very clean and tidy. Both Melissa and David were excellent hosts and would do anything they could to make your stay pleasurable. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in Ayr.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

My husband and I spent 1 night here in June. Thanks to a booking agency mix-up, we arrived unanounced. David opened the door and two suitcases confronted him. They were not expecting us, BUT they couldn't have been more welcoming and apologetic. Melissa set about getting our room ready while we went out to dinner. When we returned our beautiful room was ready and she had even hung our coats in the wardrobe for us. No expense had been spared in furnishing the room, beautiful china cups, fine linen on the bed and all spotless and very modern. The ensuite was also superb. Breakfast was ordered the night before - no problems. Excellent breakfast served in the conservatory which was even air-conditioned (just in case there was a hot day.) This is a lovely, friendly place to stay. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Carnmoney, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I am writing this review on behalf of my mum and dad who stayed at Appin House over the Jubilee Weekend. This was a return visit for them, to celebrate their anniversary.
They had a fabulous time. Ayr itself is a quaint wee town, but Appin House is no run-of-the-mill B&B. It is a boutique haven, each room styled to a very high standard, lovely quality furnishings and paints.
The hosts, Melissa and David, exude genuine, warm Scottish hospitality, and were very kind in leaving an anniversary gift in my mum and dad's room.
Breakfasts offer a good range of foods, and portions will set you up for the day!
I recently discovered that my dad has booked a Mother/Daughter birthday trip to Ayr for my mum and me this September, which I am most excited about, as I will be able to experience the boutique chic of Appin House for myself. No doubt I will post another review!

P.S. In staying at Appin House, you may just be lucky enough to meet the hosts' young daughter and her delightful rabbit, who I hear is very cute!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Appin House? Share your experiences!