“Another geat stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Kylestrome Bar & Grill

You added Hotel Kylestrome Bar & Grill to your Saves list
Hotel Kylestrome Bar & Grill
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   11 Miller Road, Ayr KA7 2AX, Scotland (Formerly The Ivy Rooms)   |
Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Ayr
Edinburgh
“Another geat stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was the third time I have stayed at the Kylestrom - all for business, but I would choose to use it for leisure too.

My room was well equipped, very clean, and with lovely decor. It's nice to get useful extras provided like an arm clock and a decent hairdryer (not one that just wafts some air at you!). It's also a hotel where you don't feel out of place being there on your own - even in a busy restaurant.

Food was as fantastic as ever, and well presented. Though there could be an extra vegetarian choice or two for main courses, which would top it off for me.

Staff are very friendly, professional, but not in your face. I will no doubt be back soon.

A couple of wee improvements that could be made (but really these are very minor!): The toiletries that aren't miniatures would feel nicer if they were supplied full to the brim with product, and a couple of wee biscuits on the coffee tray would be appreciated.

Room Tip: I was in room 9 this time - very nice :)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My husband and I visited last month and first impressions were good - huge room and huge bed. First thing I did was go in for a relaxing hot bath - at which point the telephone goes. We ignored it but it went again - to say there was a leak downstairs and could we stop the bath for a moment. We did this then started again - at which point there was a knock on the door to say not to run it and could we move rooms. At this point, hair dripping, the door goes again - the manager - can I have a look. Eventually we moved rooms and had a lovely meal in the restaurant - at which point the manager came over and thanked us for moving. My main complaint would be that we were only there for 1 hour and were contacted between 4 and 5 times, with not so much as a free drink offered. I find that pretty poor. Any hotel worth it's salt would have offered that at the very least. It's small things like this that make our mind up - nice - but we won't be back.

Room Tip: Just watch out for the leaks!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Arrived late evening so had no experience of the restaurant which seems to get rave reviews. Service on arrival good but the room (number 3) really wasn't anything to shout about. Very basic room (definitely not 'luxury' as billed on the board outside the hotel). Whilst pretty clean (although acquired a new can of deodorant from a previous guest) the broken alarm clock and lack of biscuits (doesn't everywhere give a biscuit or two?) were a bit of a let down This particular room is also pretty small. The low energy lighting also gives a strip light feel rather than an intimate homely vibe.

Breakfast was great (as was the welcome and service from Linda the waitress) but at £55 per night I expect a little more from the accommodation - especially when they raise 'luxury' expectations.

• Stayed March 2013
Dumfries, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Found this hotel through Tripadviser. From arrival to departure the staff could not have been more courteous and freindly. The room was clean and well laid out, larger than expected. This was the middle of February but the room was well heated. The resturant was something out of the world, freindly staff looked after our every whim. Top class food that would sit along side the best of any top London resturant. These places are few and far between, Don't be put off by negative comments about the rooms, we were not and discovered a Wee Gem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ayr, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Being in the restaurant trade myself i often find it difficult to dine out without analysing and it can be hard not to be critical but the Kylestrome was an absolute delight.

I took my team of chefs and front of house staff and there were ten of us in total. We unfortunately had to skip starters as we had to get back to Glasgow but the mains were out of this world. Beautifully presented, plentiful portions and mouth-watering recipes. Very reasonable bill for ten people too.

The restaurant itself is very clean and tastefully decorated. Staff are polite and professional and i can see myself visiting very often in the future. Long may your success continue.

• Stayed February 2013
stirlingshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at the Kylestrome on 22 January to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary. We chose this hotel mainly due to the positive reviews on trip advisor however we would point out a few things which we were not too happy with.
Firstly our compliments to the staff - all were very pleasant and made us fee welcome. We chose to eat in the hotel and cannot praise the food enough. I enjoy a filet steak very very blue and seldom get one cooked the way I like it. This one was perfection - in fact it was so large I couldn't finish it so the chef checked to see that I had in fact enjoyed it. Hats of to the chef. Will definitely eat here again.

A few grumbles about the room. We stayed in room 4 at the front of the hotel. It would be helpful if a light could be provided on the dressing table unit as this is where the plug and mirror for hair drying is yet it is an unlit corner of the room. The bathroom light and extractor fan are motion activated. Please note that once you are out of the bathroom and the door is closed the light remains on for 20 minutes and the fan for 25 minutes so we had a bit of disruption to our sleep. Having said that we have stayed in hotels all over the world and don't think we have ever been in such a clean one before. Everything was immaculate both in the bedroom and public areas. Full praise to the cleaning staff who are often forgotten in reviews.

Our biggest gripe however is the fact that we were locked out at night. We went for a walk at 10.20pm and came back at 11pm to discover the hotel in darkness and the doors locked. Knocking made no difference but luckily I had put my mobile phone in my pocket and called the hotel. A night porter opened up for us and when we asked why we had been locked out were told that the door was closed to keep the heat in and wasn't actually locked- it just couldn't be opened from the outside - doesn't that mean that we were lock out then. When we questioned this he simply laughed at us. At 50 plus years of age being locked out was a first for us. There was no-one there to complain to at the time so we complained on checking out and were told that we should not have taken our room key with us as it was assumed that if the key was not with reception then the guest was in the hotel. I don't think we've ever had to leave a room key with reception at any other hotel we have stayed in. Surely this should have been pointed out to us when we checked in.

Will certainly not stay here again. No apology was made and in fact we were made to feel that we were in the wrong.

Room Tip: Room 4 can be noisy with traffic but worth taking for the sheer size of the room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Third visit to the Kylestrome and gets better each time I stay there , massive front room , bed excellent . Staff are exceptional as usual . Stayed 3 Nights and left very relaxed and chilled , no worries ever here , well done Kylestrome ! :- )

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Kylestrome Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!