“Quirky...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 10 hotels in Paisley
Holmfirth, United Kingdom
“Quirky...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was a business trip so my requirements were fairly basic - a good clean room, an affordable meal and a decent pint. The Watermill does the first two pretty well for the money but ought really to have a decent local brew on the bar - a minor gripe.

As others have commented, the decor is clean if a bit dated, but I don't mind that at all as it adds to the character. My chalk-board special roast pork dinner was actually excellent with nicely cooked vegetables and very good value at £7.95

Location is quite central - about five minutes walk from Paisley Canal station and for the business traveler, reasonably handy for the airport and with good parking, some of which is pay and display.

All in all, quite pleased with the value for money here and I would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms adjacent to the waterfall are a bit noisy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear John,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased to hear that you got value for for your money. That is what we strive to achieve, especially, at this very difficult economic times.

I do hope you get time to visit us again in the near future.

193 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Dumfries, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Staff are really helpful prices are ok
Restaurant and bar lounge in good decorative order food is to a good standard and breakfast cannot be faulted for its selection
Rooms are unfortunately very dated and it these that fail the hotel in my opinion if these were to be refurbed with its location this would be a hotel to visit

Hugh 1952

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Hugh,

Many thanks for taking your time to leave us a review.

I am pleased to hear that you found my staff alert and helpful at all times. I am also good to hear that you appreciate our competitive prices.

We will be spending some money this coming winter to improve on the decor.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and look forward to welcoming you to our hotel in the near future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Me and my partner have stayed at the watermill on a few occassions in the past( as we visit family) and have found it be "okay". but we have just returned after a weekend there and didnt find it has improved . The room was small , the floorboards were very noisy (hence we were woke up by other guests above us walking about) , the curtains didnt fit very well and the double bed was so close to the wall that you had to practically climb over the bed if you needed to get up through the night. We were looking forward to breakfast but everything on the buffet was cold. the following morning wasnt much better. the hotel is looking very tired and in need of a good re vamp. would only stay there again if we couldnt get anywhere else . very dissappointing

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Jean,

Thank you very much for taking time to review us.

We do appreciate guest feedbarck, as it gives us a benchmark to evaluate ourselves.

I am disappoinetd to hear that you did not enjoy your stay this time. We usually provide both cold and hot breakfast on all mornings, but I am not sure what happened on this occasion.I will fully investigate and if need be, take the necessary steps.

Once again, my sincere apologies.
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Held my wedding reception in the Watermill on Saturday August 24th and despite my nerves i really enjoyed the whole day. The staff worked really hard and i'm pleased to say it went without any major hiccups.
Sure there were a few small problems such as no lighting at the smoking bit, no fruit in the morning and apparently at one point the beer was being served up warm and a couple of folk had to complain but i was just so relieved the day went well that there was no way i was making a huge fuss.
The staff and meal were absolutely lovely and the new ballroom bit we held the reception in was absolutely fantastic, big glass windows looking out over the river and waterfall.
I was born and raised in Paisley so the Watermills always been there and it meant a lot to me to have the reception there instead of elsewhere.
All in all a cracking day, one i'll never forget and i highly recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Robert,

Thanking for taking time to review us.

I am pleased that you had a fab wedding day and we are so honoured to have been part of your special day.

Thank you for the generous comments about my staff. I have passed your feedback to them and they are pleased.

Wishing you a very long and happy marriage, and we look forward to see you on one of your anniversaries!
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel looks lovely from the outside. The inside is a little old fashioned and could do with a make over. The new ballroom is stunning very modern and a great place to hold a party. The bar price is reasonable and the food is fabulous but a little over priced.

• Stayed December 2012
Management-Watermill, General Manager at Watermill Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

We recently spent some money in the stunning ballroom and will be investing some more this winter in the bedrooms.

Hopefully, you will get a chance again to visit us in future.
Harrogate
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Having the need to spend one night in Paisley my friend and I booked two rooms on the day, lovely looking on the outside and certainly an old building with a bit of character, my room had a lovely view of the weir, the room could certainly do with a make over (As could most of the hotel!) but the tv was ok,bed comfy,and relatively clean. The rooms are not suitable for tall people as they are about 6ft high and the shower is in thr bath so when you stand up you will have to crouch, I was ok though at 5ft 6, made me feel tall!. We were going to east in the restaurant but the menu was so minimal we went to the bar which also served food and from a more exstensive menu (weird one that), the food was ok but nothing to write home about,we then had drinks and got chatting to some other gueste so we had a nice night, the sleep was good and next morning went for the breskfast which was buffet style, it was ok. All in all needs a good makeover but for its shabbyness I enjoyed the stay, the room was good value so I would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for room with water view, a little noisy but looks nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for the constructive criticism, which we have taken into account. I am pleased to tell you that renovations will be taking place this winter.

Once again, thank you for taking your time to review us, and I do hope that you will find time to visit us sometimes in future and witness all the exciting changes!
Thurso, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The bad points of this overpriced establishment far out weigh the only good point.
Paper thin walls and creaking floorboards meant the guests in the adjacent room kept me awake until 3.30am. Not good when I had a long drive home the next day. Window didn't shut properly and window frame was rotten. Bedspreads seen better days and were a bit threadbare. Only a sheet and a blanket, no duvet. Had problems trying to get the shower to work. Had to crouch down to get under the shower due to low ceiling height. Radiator in bathroom scorching hot and couldn't be turned off. Unbearable hot.
Breakfast was the only good point of my stay, but was marred by stained table linen. The cooked breakfast was delicious. Plenty of other options to choose from if desired. Did notice another guest served something not readily available but this option wasn't given to me. Waitress was pleasant enough.
On check out the receptionist was indifferent and did not enquiry about my stay.
Would never return here.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us.

I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Watermill hotel is a grade c listed building with alot of charm and character, which I do appreciate, may not appeal to everyone. Unfortunately, there is nothing much we can do with some low ceilings in certain parts of the building as it is part of the architectural design.

However, had you raised some of the issues at the time of stay, we could have solved them. We are currently using blankets as it has been quite hot, but we have some duvets for guests who need them. I am sorry, this was not brought to my attention as I could have gladly offered a duvet.

Once again, thanking for your time and my sincere apologies thatwe did not meet your expectations at this time.

Been to Watermill Hotel? Share your experiences!