“A complete and utter shambles” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Paisley
Inverness, United Kingdom
“A complete and utter shambles”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had booked one night at the Holiday Inn, Glasgow Airport, prior to flying out the next day for a week's vacation (booked directly via the Holiday Inn website). My wife and I arrived at reception around 9pm, gave our name, the receptionist checked her screen and informed us there was no reservation for us for that night. The receptionist then asked how we spelt our name - so we spelt it. She looked at her screen again and confirmed that there was "definitely" no reservation in that name for tonight. She suggested that we had come by mistake and that our reservation could be at the Holiday Inn Express around the corner.

Fortunately I had printed off our reservation confirmation e-mail. The e-mail was in our suitcase - so standing at reception we had to open up our suitcase, take out the paperwork and showed the reservation confirmation e-mail. "Oh!". With no explanation of what had happened we were checked-in and given our room key.

We went up to our room - inserted the key and opened the door. My wife went in first, fortunately did not put the light on - but in the gloom she could make out an open suitcase on the floor and a male body face-down in bed.

We beat a hasty retreat back to reception and explained what had happened "Oh dear ! Can we see your reservation confirmation". Again no explanation of how this had happened. Looked at our reservation confirmation and gave us the key for another room. Told "it's a bigger room". Yes - it was a room for disabled guests.

Next morning we came down to check out. We mentioned our experience of the night before - the receptionist was aware of it - apparently the occupant of our first room had made his views known.

And then the receptionist asked for £71 to settle the bill. So another shock. We said no - the room was prepaid. "Can we see your reservation confirmation."

This was becoming repetitive. For the third time during our stay we had to show the reservation confirmation e-mail.

So the bill was resolved as having been prepaid and we left.

And then it just got worse. On returning home I checked my credit card statement online to see how much I had spent during the vacation. The Holiday Inn had charged me the the £71. So I have paid twice for this dreadful experience.

Have since written to the Holiday Inn - they have apologised, advised that my additional £71 will be refunded and invited us back for a complementary night's stay (although I don't know if I'm brave enough to take up their offer).

However at the time of submitting this review - 6 weeks after our stay and 4 weeks after the apology from the Holiday Inn - no refund has been received.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Duncan B, Guest Experience Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Dear JRJ504

Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies for the experience you had in the hotel.

I would also like to thank you for allowing us to resolve the issue offline. It is only with customer feedback such as your own that we can truly ascertain the levels of service we are providing. Please rest assured that your comments are gratefully received and will be used as a tool to improve our service.

I am also pleased to confirm that after some initial delays, your refund has now been processed, and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel for your complimentary stay.

Many Thanks

Duncan Boyd
Guest Experience Manager
duncan.boyd@ihg.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Malpas, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Visited Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport on a business trip. Stayed there before and was great, however this visit clearly showed things aren't as good as they use to be.

The main reason for choosing this hotel, was it had smoking rooms which was excellent, however on this trip, during check in, the receptionist smiled 'we don't do them anymore'.
Rather disappointed, as the reservation clearly stated smoking room, why wasn't I informed well before so could make another booking at a different hotel, nearer to the location of my conference the following day?

Anyway, I got to my room, now being over 6ft 3" tall, and stockly built, I was given a twin room, whilst it may suit most people, sleeping with your feet rammed up against the sheets, or eventually having them hanging out the end of the bed, isn't great.

I wanted a bath, the downside of this hotel is the bath is much smaller than standard, so again a challenge for me to enjoy a decent bath. The bathroom wasn't particularly clean, scum marks around the plug hole in the sink, bath overflow cover was broken and rusted.

After my bath, ordered room service and was eager to try the garlic naan as an extra, plus an extra treat the carrot cake for later with my coffee.

The food arrived, soup was hot but not boiling. The main was nice, however the garlic naan had obviously been put into a microwave, as the outer edges were soft, but the inner was as hard as a brick. So basically what was a naan the size of a dinner plate, was only edible the size of a saucer.

The carrot cake never arrived, so bang went any late evening addition to my coffee.

I mentioned the issue of the food during check out, 'why didn't you complain when you had the food' was the response. My argument is, when I order something I expect to receive it, especially when the person at the end of the telephone is writing down my order.

Overall my experience on this visit to the Holiday Inn was rather disappointing. The attention to detail was sadly lacking, cleanliness wasn't great, the food was good in places but extremely poor in others.

Room Tip: Anyone who is 6ft and over, make sure they don't give you a twin, otherwise you'll be sleepi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Don T

Thank you for your review of your stay at Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport.

Using the limited details provided by Tripadvisor, I was able to locate your reservation. I note that you reserved a standard non-smoking twin/double room for your stay with us. When choosing a standard twin/double, all requests, including room type or smoking preference are not guaranteed and the room allocated on arrival is subject. If a specific room type is preferred, then we would always suggest confirming that room type. As much as we try to make sure we allocate a suitable room for all our guests, sometimes this just isn't possible when booking our non-descriptive room type. We also try to make it as clear as possible at booking stage that we are now a completely smoke-free hotel.

I am sorry to hear of your experience with ordering room service, and the delivery of your order. This is inexcusable, and I do hope you will accept my sincere apologies.

If you do require accommodation at Glasgow Airport again in the future, please contact me directly, and allow me to attend to your reservation personally

Many thanks

Duncan Boyd
Guest Experience Manager
duncan.boyd@ihg.com
Carlisle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed after arriving in the evening following an overseas holiday and found the hotel to be ideally located and with friendly staff. The room we had (309) was quite small and the plumbing a little noisy when the room above used their shower but otherwise it was perfectly adequate. We found the staff to be very friendly and would recommend the hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 309 and although this room is small and looks out to the terminal we did not exper...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I booked this hotel as my flight back to Washington DC was early. When you book online they immediately charge your credit card for the night stay. Upon on arrival the front desk staff agreed the charges has been paid in full at a U.S rate of $92. I did not use the wifi or eat at the hotel.

I have a 2nd charge on my credit card for $83 that was charged the night of my stay. I have emailed the hotel to their operations email address asking what the 2nd charge is for. I have also sent a note through their 'contact us' information page.

No response from the hotel. I will take up the dispute with my credit card company.

I would be weary of this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for final bill when you exit.
Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Nicola M,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay. I trust we can regain your confidence in our products and services.

Dhan M
Rome
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel many times en-route to various destinations and have always found it comfortable, clean and in an excellent location for an early morning flight. Having stayed there recently, we were extremely disappointed in our steak dinner which was tough and not at all enjoyable. As we have always been satisfied in the past, I wonder if they have changed the chef or butcher.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Haywards Heath
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel has improved considerably since I last reviewed it (3 years ago!). I have had to stay at Glasgow Airport several times of late, and the combination of good rates and convenience saw me booking the Holiday Inn.

This is an old hotel - that cannot be disguised, and is evidenced by the fact that no two rooms appear to be the same - all the rooms I stayed in are broadly similar - but the minibar location changes room to room, as does the TV position and a bathroom layouts differ in a similar way. The bathrooms look old and have definitely seen better days, but are clean. I wish however that hotels would provide face flannels - but bath/shower gel is provided along with decent soap and shampoo. I like the heated towel rails.

The bedroom was comfortable and clean. I could work the air-con which is always a bonus, and the bed was comfortable, with pillows (as is usual in UK Holiday Inns) marked as soft or hard. I slept well. A decent supply of tea and coffee, with an older jug kettle, are also provided. Rooms are not massively specious if you have a lot of luggage, and there is no such thing as a good view at this property.

The bar area is small but does bar food - I ate my evening meals either here, or if I was adventurous, across in the terminal at Wetherspoons. The food in the hotel was fine, but because the bar is small, it gets crowded quite quickly. The advantage to me of eating in the hotel was that I could work using the wifi - as a IHG Rewards member, this was free.

I pre-paid breakfast on check in on each of my stays - it's cheaper option. It's not the best hotel breakfast in the world, but it is more than decent. The spread is good, the food generally hot and tasty, and the staff friendly and accommodating.

Friendly staff is a recurring theme in this hotel - everyone at reception is welcoming, as are the bar staff and even the cleaners and service staff I have encountered.

I'd love to give a four star rating for this hotel, but the age and mismatch in room designs prevents me giving that. Three stars sounds mean - it's one of those cases where I'd love Tripadvisor to have a 3.5 rating.....

Recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Dear wildthing271,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, which are very much appreciated. I am happy to read that you like our comfortable and clean room. However, I am very sorry to read that you did not find your stay as pleasant as you would have hoped due to the condition of the property and facility. Please be assured that these matters will be reviewed by the appropriate department for future upgrades. We sincerely hope you give us the privilege to continue to serve you in the near future. Thank you again for your comments.

Zelyn N
Karlstad, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Terrible Hotel! My room was Cold and problem to get it warm. Not so clean. Breakfast is not included and it´s expensive, not worth the Money. Wifi is not Included either.
The only positive is, closeness to the airport. Next time I will book a hotel in Glasgow and take the Airport bus, which you can take 24/7

Room Tip: When you search hotel close to the Airport, search for Paisley area
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Fredrik888,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel.v I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Glasgow.

Karen G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport? Share your experiences!