“lovely hotel in beautiful setting” 4 of 5 stars

The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel
Knockard Rd, Pitlochry PH16 5JH, Scotland   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Pitlochry
scotland
“lovely hotel in beautiful setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

stayed a two night stay at Pitlochry Hyrdo Hotel . The hotel is clean , has the most comfortable beds ever, great food and a lovely swimming pool with hot tub. The pool was spotless and had good changing area . Situated at the top of a steep hill a five minute walk down to Pitlochry . Lovely views from hotels gardens .Dining area was well run and service if any complaint at all was a bit too fast ,. The menu was good and food good . Enjoyed my stay at this hotel .Entertainment was a man and guitar one of the evenings out of the two , and he sang from Dire Straits to Kenneth MacKeller so varied and ideal as the age group of the party was from 11 to Pension age so he did well. There is a selection of bars and shops in the small town itself and is so pretty. Lots of walks through the beautiful stunning scenery and alongside the fishery so make sure you take your camera . Queen's View at nearby Loch Tummel also worth a camera visit .

Room Tip: we were on 2nd floor and get a front facing room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Hi, I agree, we are a lovely Hotel in a beautiful setting...of that there is no question. Thanks for pointing out that we have a nice leisure facilty that can be taken advantage of. I'm glad you thought the restaurant was well run too, thats an area that can go horribly wrong if you take your eye off the ball....we serve a lot of people here everyday.
Our relaxed style of entertainment suits most people we find and its nice that you have mentioned you enjoyed it.
Thanks again
GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This is an hotel bought by Shearings and thinly disguised under another name. It is designed for geriatric coach parties and is geared for the same. The rooms are neatly decorated but the beds are in desperate need of replacement, as is my back after one night. The utility furniture highlights the economies being made. The staff are "different". The restaurant manager has a dead rat on his head - which on closer inspection is a poor attempt at a Mohawk. Most restaurant staff mange to wear the semblance of a uniform with the exception of one who appears to think he is Eric Cantona!!!. The bar man on duty during our visit was like the baddie in a Bond movie - didn't smile, didn't speak - just scowled throughout the shift. Then we come to the food. Oh dear! We had to plead for the a la carte menu not the bus tour table d'hote. No steaks available, so we ordered duck and it certainly was ducked. It was meant to be "seared pink" - it was "baked" beyond recognition. The "crushed new potatoes" were almost raw and covered in mud. The carrots and broccoli had been cooking since the previous day. The sauce is best left unmentioned. Breakfast was another overwhelming assault on culinary excellence. Poached eggs like cannon balls and sausages which contain more cereal than meat, orange juice which had had only the briefest encounter with an orange. If you are under 60 or have a choice - go elsewhere!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hi there, well first of all I am sorry you didn't like us one little bit, both the product and the people employed to deliver it. I firmly believe that we offer great value for money.....too many people tell me this for it not to be the case, however, on occasion I have to accept that we fall short of some customers expectations. Your feelings on our restaurant are slightly exaggerated for comic effect but I still take them on board and will assess the quality of product we are buying in.
Unwittingly you have provided three members of staff with new nicknames for a little while that may or may not stick. In the case of 'rat boy' he had just returned from his annual punk festival and had permission to sport his mohawk for a wee while as a bit of fun.
Seriously though, I listen to everything our customers tell me and constantly review every aspect of our operation and where I can, act upon them.
Again, my apologies for your trip not being a success.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My son and I arrived at the lovely looking Hydro and waited in the reception area for attendance for over ten minutes. There was a waiter in the bar area but he had no interest in us, a chef eventually came to chat to us but couldn't really help with checking in.
We were early for check-in (1.30pm), we knew this and were happy to go for lunch and a stroll around town. We were given our key and told that 2pm was the earliest we could go to our room, which was absolutely fine because I had understood when I booked it was 3pm.
When we arrived back at the Hydro at 2.50pm we took our bags to our room to find the beds unmade and other guests items in the room. I quickly closed the door and returned back to reception. I saw the manager (Diane) and told her what had happened, she took the key off me and went to speak to people in the lounge, these people were the people from the room I had been sent to, they had thought they had lost the key I assume. The manager didn't apologise for the mix up she just abruptly gave me a new room and didn't even make eye contact. We went to our new room to find it unmade, the house keeping staff were apologetic-I told them it wasn't their fault, it was the person who was allocating rooms so we went for a swim. After the unpleasantness of the changing area of the pool we found the actual pool great and clean, a member of staff came to find us to tell us our room was ready, he apologised-again I told him it wasn't his fault.
The room we were given was above either the kitchen, laundry or pool because the noise was unacceptable at 6am this morning, luckily my little boy had been up late so slept through, however, I didn't. The room was actually fine but the bathroom was rundown and the bath mat was pink with age, surely bathmats should be replaced as soon as they start to change colour?
Breakfast was served from 8am - 9.30am. We went down at 8.50am and we had to wait - along with 5 other sets of guests in the lounge, which is a beautiful area, beside a CD that jumped and started and stopped, a little thing but after all the other things it became very irritating. Perhaps if breakfast had a larger time scale the dining room wouldn't become so overcrowded???
After rushing breakfast to check out at 10am(far to early)I went to pay. Diane the manager was chatting to other guests and seemed very pleasant with them. I payed, I wasn't asked if I had enjoyed my stay, I wasn't asked if my room was ok even though there had been two mix-ups, she was however, friendly to my son. Perhaps she just didn't like the look of me!!! Or perhaps she didn't want to hear criticism because had she bothered to ask, that is what she would have got.
Overall very disappointed but mainly with the management, not the general staff or the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello there, sorry it has taken a little while to respond but I have been away for a few days. Rather than go through the whole episode I just wanted to state that there was an error on our part that had a knock on effect all day with regards to more than one set of customers.....It doesn't happen often and considering how busy we get we generally manage that side of things very well.
I'm sorry you were disatisfied with how this was handled but I can promise you that if ever you were to open and manage a Hotel you would want someone like Diane by your side as she does a fantastic job day in day out and can handle all of the different scenarios that come her way. I think it was just the drama of a tricky check in day which left a poor first impression.
We always learn from instances like these and I'm sure it will be a long time until it happens again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We have just returned from a 1 night stay after finding a good rate via booking.com. The hotel is set in a nice location with lovely views. There was ample parking for our car and check in was quick and smooth. The staff were friendly and helpful.

Our room was a very decent size, as others mentioned the room was dated but the bathroom was modern. We didn't use the communal lounge but we did use the leisure facilities. The pool facilities were good and the pool area was clean. It was quiet too which was a bonus.

We didn't eat in the hotel, we went to the mill inn instead which was excellent! We did have breakfast in the hotel which was fine, perfectly edible but we have had better. However all in all for what we paid we were pretty happy with our stay. We probably wouldn't stay here again unless we got another good deal however we had a nice time.

• Stayed August 2013
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hello and thanks for posting the fact that you had a 'nice night away' and felt it was good value for money and the staff were nice and friendly....its very much appreciated.
Best Regards
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend away and I must say it was brilliant. Our room had a beautiful view looking down onto the town itself. The staff were extremely helpful and even made special dispensation when my pregnant partner could not eat her evening meal, which was no fault of the chef, she just did not like it but the rest of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals, but the reception staff went out there way to get her something else as the kitchen had already closed for the night. The bar and lounge were very nice places to sit and enjoy a drink or meal with again very helpful staff. Although the gym facilities were slightly lacking the pool, Jacuzzi and sauna were very nice indeed, needless to say we had a very pleasant and enjoyable stay and would recommend the hotel to anyone who wants a nice break in Pitlochry. Thank you for a very enjoyable weekend

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi, and thanks for a lovely review which has cheered up the staff no end during this very busy period of our operating year.
Thanks a million, it means a lot.
Best Regards
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Has the appearance of being a decent hotel...however the rooms are a step down from Slovenian youth hostel.
The bar, restaurant and lobby including the toilets are very nice indeed. The pool facilities also look nice, but just don't sleep in the bedrooms or ask the staff for ANYTHING unless you are happy to feel guilty for doing so.
Guests are 99% OAPS. Which is fine if that's what you are looking for!

• Stayed August 2013
Hello and thanks for the review....I dont like it, but will certainly take on board your comments.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were looking forward to our return trip here(previous visit April 2013).I had phoned ahead and requested 2 superior rooms 1 double 1 single which we had seen on our previous visit.Wasn't told I would need to pay the supplement there and then, on arrival no upgrades available.
Given room112 a very basic room. The Mattress long past its sell by date I put the duvet under bottom sheet so that there was some support
The bathroom warning sign saying be careful not to knock your knees against the radiator when sitting on the toilet, do not use the towel rail as a support!!!(it was loose)The wee shelf that held the spare loo rolls ready to fall off!!Slip mat for the bath so grotty I asked for a new one, they didn't have one but would find me a better one which they did. Shower useless as angled over the bath taps.
Dining Room Food excellent and well looked after by Sonia and her helpers. Only complaint here no rolls/croissants Sunday/Monday and the toaster packed up on Monday. No roast beef left for the later diners on Sunday.
The hotel is in a beautiful position but is needing money spent to bring it up to standard. We were happy here last time but feel the hotel has gone downhill.

Room Tip: Only go if can upgrade
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
PitlochryHydro, General Manager at The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi and so sorry that so soon after your last trip you have returned and felt disappointed. We all get up every day to work hard and avoid such comments coming through. It is very unusual, particularly at this time of year, to upgrade customers to a better standard of room as they have been booked and therefore not available. As a general rule we can only give the customer what they have booked as we are a busy operation all year round. I hope you can appreciate this and if you choose to come again then please contact the Hotel before you travel and we will allocate you the best room we can.
Returning customers are very important to us and I hope you allow us an opportunity to impress you all over again.
Chris

Been to The Pitlochry Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!