“A-Z excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Pitlochry
Galway, Ireland
“A-Z excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

My first impression was when I contacted the hotel for a room for a Saturday night in October 2012. They emailed back to say that they were booked out but wished me luck in finding a room. I replied saying that there must be a wedding or something on in the area since I could find no other room and then I got a reply back saying that they did have a room which is quite small and they rarely pre-book it and prefer to show it to guests and give them the option to stay or not. I asked to reserve this room for me. Upon arrival they had another room which was given to me at no additional charge. The room was large and comfortable. Although it was right above the bar and overlooking the outdoor seating there was no noise at all. I had dinner in the charming restaurant. Service and the food was flawless. The bar man was incredibly efficient and friendly despite being extremely busy. Breakfast the next day was very good too. The porridge was creamy and salty and the honey served with it was divine. I walked up Ben Y Vrackie which can easily be reached by walking out the lane behind the hotel. Also I liked that the hotel was reachable on foot from town as I arrived and left by public transportation. All in all, as a single traveller I was very happy and comfortable. Everyone- staff and patrons were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our recent stay at Moulin was our second and it didnt dissapoint. I love this little place, its full of charector, must admit it might not be to everyones taste but it for me it has a special something. If your not a fan of chain hotels and have a penchant for stuffed animals this place is right up your street. It is a little twee but thats what I like about it. The rooms are clean, breakfast is cooked to perfection and its walking distance from Pitlochlery, Ben Y Vrackie just sits behind if you like to hillwalk. And if your a whiskey drinker, Edradour distillery is a pretty walk away... no car = more drams, highly recommended. The food in the pub is good old Scottish fayre, mince and tatties, haggis, steak pie, lamb shank. All washed down with their own brewed on site ale, nice selection of malts available. Open log fires too, great place for a winter break. My only criticism would be that all of teh the staff arent the warmest.. but they're not rude just not overly helpful but thats only my opinion. We'll definitely return here time again, I hope it never changes.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed for 2 nights - fantastic hotel with its own brewed ale, you can tell its a favourite for travellers as hillwalkers etcwith the pure volume of people in the inn - had a great stay and the hearty breakfast would take anyone back.
Staff were all nice and friendly/helpfull

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Went for a meal with family a party of six meals bought and paid for when ordering also drinks. The salad accompanying two of the meals had obvious earth/dirt on the lettuce on one meal and my sister felt gravel in her mouth! My meal also had a gravel texture on eating the lettuce my daughter refused to eat her lettuce after both our experience! I spoke to the duty manager who said she would speak to someone but she did not feedback to us the outcome and her manner after the complaint was very offhand! I spoke to another manager the following day to complain of the poor food hygiene also the duty manager's poor handling of my complaint she said she would speak to the kitchen and the duty manager but frankly i felt my complaint was trivialized! None of my party feel inclined to return to the Moulin Inn after our experience

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
papermoon010, Owner at Moulin Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Frankly Unbelievable. Both my manageressess have said this person demanded compensation or she would berate us in Trip advisor - Well, she has. I'll point out that there was certainly no dirt involved and how can lettuce have a gritty texture. That day some 200 bar meals were served many with our pre prepared salad - same batch for everyone, with no other complaints or comments. Never had a complaint about salads before!
The Hotel kitchens have always passed inspections, the Health officers commendations are on display in the Inn plus a certificate of excellent hygiene.
Angus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great location for hill & low level walking. Car never moved. Short walk from Pitlochry for bars and restaurants. Or eat in the hotel bar which has wonderful food, real ales (own brewery!), log fires & friendly atmosphere. Room clean & comfortable. 1st stay but wont be the last!

Kralendijk, Bonaire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have one regret and that is not staying another night. When we arrived late in the afternoon, the Inn was full but they were so kind to offer us a room which was for the couch driver for £50! we had no complain about the room. The inn was just the best inn we visited with a log fire and very tasty food but even better locally brewed beer. I had a delightful vegetarian breakfast. The area is wonderful as well. The next morning we did a tour of the smallest Whiskey distillery in Scotland called Ebradour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This is a great place to unwind. Unpretentious, traditional highland 'hunting lodge' ambience with friendly staff. good food in atmospheric very old inn with amazing real ale brewed on th premises. What more? Reasonable room rates!
Douglas W

Room Tip: This is a great place to unwind. Unpretentious, traditional highland 'hunting lodge' ambienc...