“Hotel ok, Spa rubbish” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 22 Hotels in Pitlochry
Forfar, United Kingdom
“Hotel ok, Spa rubbish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

I booked into a twin room on a spa break with my daughter, as i have been ill for nearly 3 years and this was a trip for her and i to have some relaxation. We booked in advance, about 6 weeks prior. When we booked we were told the Spa was busy on the Monday and we had to take the last two appointments on the day (Spa breaks staying on a Sunday, treatments must be taken on a Monday) We arrived on Sunday 20th and checked in. We asked if there were any cancellations that we could get treatments earlier in the day, we were told we could not as 1 lady had booked a whole 4 hours of treatments, 2 hours before lunch and 2 hours after. We told the hotel we were not happy that 1 person was able to book so much of the Spa time. Our room was ok, pretty basic and not a lot of room, but clean at least. On the Monday morning after breakfast we again checked there had been no cancellations, and asked the receptionist what we were to do as we had to book out of the room by 11am and we wanted to use the gym and pool, as we had to wait till 3pm for the 1st treatment. The receptionist said we had to book out but we could use the facilities. At the gym then we went into their lovely pool, however when we came out of the pool to shower, we discovered their was no shower gel or shampool to have a wash with (our suitcase was in the boot of the car). Then to top it off there was no hairdryer! We turned up at the Spa at the allocated time, to meet with a heavily pregnant therapist who announced that she could not do me a pedicure treatment or any of the treatments that my daughter wanted either. The purpose of our trip was a treat as i have been very ill. The therapist said the only treatment she could do was a back, neck and shoulder light massage (no use for me, as i have a frozen shoulder as well at the moment), or a head massage or a facial (both of which are no use to me as i have Giant Cell Arteritis and cannot allow anyone to massage that area because of headaches) She said if i lay on the bed she would file my toe nails and put polish on them. This seemed the only option for me, so i agreed. After i was done i sat for the whole time without socks or shoes on that it took for my daughter to get the back, neck and shoulder massage (which she says the whole time she could feel the therapists bump rubbing on her). Then i put my socks and shoes on and we came home, to find when i did get home, my socks had stuck to the big toes and it was a mess! Nothing like what a spa is supposed to be like, certainly not relaxing!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Rooms are clean and cozy. The hotels common areas are a little worn, yet this hotel is comfortable. Biggest shock room service tray charge £7.95 this is shocking, as a lone female business traveller I do like to eat in my room, but not at that price. I sense it's to put people off not off a service.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

My advice would be to save your money as this place is the worst I have ever been in and I have stayed in lots of places all over the world.

This hotel is beyond tired, to say the word tired is a massive understatement the place is disgusting. The staff have absolutely no customer service skills in any way. It feels like you have taken a trip to Poland rather than Scotland as that's where 90% of the staff are from. Clearly this hotel is running on a budget budget. Whoever runs this hotel should be fired as they are never to be seen!!!

It is in a good location however there are lots of beautiful central hotels that are much cheaper than this place as we saw walking around, there are plenty of stunning B&B's trust me shop around and you will see what I mean. This hotel is unclean (staff clearly paid minimum wage as they all walk around looking depressed and overworked).

Feel sorry for the staff as it would appear they are used and abused by the company and not looked after at all, quite disgusting given the rates charged for a nights stay.

If you have absolutely no other place to go and you have extremely low expectations then this place is good enough otherwise you will be seriously disappointed. Overall the rooms were horrific there was mould in the bathroom, there were spots of blood on the pillowcase. We had to ask the cleaning staff for fresh towels as they had a strange smell. Food was good but the service was a disgrace, tried to complain to the woman running the restaurant but she clearly couldn't care less and walked away as I was talking to her. Seems like its all a bunch of kids working in this place but there was an old man also in there which we found hysterical as he looks so out of place and grumpy with a fake smile almost like a workers granddad came in for the day to cover. Old English man look out for him he's the grumpiest man and moans about all the others repeatedly. Anyway if you see a manager about or even a receptionist after 5/6pm its probably in the bar drinking as they certainly aren't in there working....

Room Tip: Book another hotel!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Arrived early morning and the hotel kept my luggage so I could wander round and enjoy the sunshine and the village.

After a small challenge at check in, I was in my room, as usual single rooms the world over are small, but this was excellent, very clean, tidy and what was that coming through the window but sun!! (haven't seen it in 6 months)

I was on bed and breakfast and it has to be one of the best breakfasts with an amazing view from the dining room

My tip is to go early before the crowds as you can enjoy an excellent breakfast and view in peace!

Tip for breakfast is the porridge (served with honey and cream) and then the Finnan Haddie (with or without poached eggs)

After such a great breakfast I wished I had stayed there for dinner the previous night.

I would highly recommend this hotel as it is near to all of the village facilities (but off the main road) and about 5 mins walk from the station

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great food and thought the service was okay but the mattress in the double rooms are awful. !!!!!Even when we changed rooms it was not any better. I would recommend the food well done to the chefs ! What a shame would have been good otherwise. We wont be back.

Room Tip: We tried 3 rooms all the mattresses were the same awful !!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

We booked this hotel as a last minute get away for Easter, and chose this hotel predominantly for the pool and spa - I wish we hadnt bothered, the hotel decor and staff appear tired and whilst friendly not overly helpful. We expected to pay a little premium with it being Easter, but I felt we were still ripped off - that is if for example, you expect a plug in your bathroom sink (we had a plastic dolphin for a plug, but it was so dirty I would not use it), the pillows were harder and more lumpy than the bed. When things have broken no care has been taken to fix things (too many examples to give). To say that this hotel requires a make over is an understatement. Breakfast was included and on Sunday we were one of the first in the restaurant, however we were not one of the first to be served, the restaurant appeared to be run by little more than children and after a 40 min wait our order finally arrived - not really worth the wait. Although to be fair, they had managed to serve porridge to the blue rinse brigade that arrived after us - (perhaps they thought they needed the extra time, or perhaps this is the clientele that they are catering for).

On a positive the hotel is centrally located and has plenty of car parking space - if you are looking for a place to crash for the night and you get a good deal (the sunday night deal looks good), then ok, but for a break and a bit of pampering then forget it would be my advice.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed at this Hotel for Tribute evening two night stay. Had been advised that it was not a good experience by friends - on the contrary I have to disagree. Staff were extremely welcoming, food was superb with lots of choice for breakfast, room was first class, drinks at the bar were very reasonable - would not hesitate to recommend Scotlands Hotel

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Scotland's Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!