“Rubbery calamari followed by a tasty steak” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #22 of 46 Restaurants in Pitlochry
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Rubbery calamari followed by a tasty steak”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

It was my last night in pitlochry so I decided to try a new place and spend a bit more than usual and treat myself to a steak.

I started off with "crispy" calamari which was quite rubbery and was served with a garlic mayo that was so pungent that my next course tasted of garlic.

My steak arrived and found it to be cooked quite unevenly, rare in parts and medium in others. The peppercorn sauce arrived about 5 mins later. The steak WAS tasty though but the strongest flavour was the garlic mayo from my starter.

I cleaned my plate though, paid my bill and went on my merry garlicky way.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Karen-Strathgarry, Manager at Strathgarry Restaurant, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
thank you for your review, we use all of our customer comments in a positive way to enhance future customer experiences with us, we have taken your comment on board and have re-developed our garlic sauce to a less intrusive infusion, we hope this will be more palatable to our customers without distracting from the dish as a whole, thank you for your feedback, and we are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us,

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good simple food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We went on a Saturday night and as it was busy, we were shown to the lower floor dining area. The food was good, simple food - no frills but very tasty. I had the pork chop and baked potato which were well cooked and tasty. My partner wasn't very hungry so she ordered a starter portion of hummus. When it arrived it was enormous with a load of pitta bread and she really enjoyed it.
The only downside to the evening was that the service was a bit haphazard, although to be fair they were very busy. Also a couple of the staff proceeded to carry waste bin bags through the restaurant on the way to the bins. Overall however, this was our first visit to the restaurant, although we are regular visitors to Pitlochry and we will return to eat there again.

Visited June 2013
Karen-Strathgarry, Manager at Strathgarry Restaurant, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Thank you for your review. all of our produce and dishes are prepared by our team of chefs to ensure the best quality at all times, I was concerned to hear that your enjoyment of your meal was affected due to staff removing items during service times, this matter has been dealt with and rectified so as not to happen again, and I can only apologise if this hampered your overall dining experience, I once again thank you for your review, and look forward to seeing you on your next visit to pitlochry
Staffordshire
“Great value early bird menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Lovely little restaurant with great food and friendly service. Although they were really busy on the day we visited, we didnt have to wait too long for our food. A real surprise and not just the normal quick turn around food you would expect on a set menu.

Visited May 2013
Thank you for your review, all of the team here at Strathgarry work hard to provide our customers with quality produce and service for our early bird dining experience, a fast turnaround menu should never compromise the quality of the dishes being offered and our chefs work hard to ensure that this is the case. I will pass on your comments to our team who are always happy to hear feedback from our customers.
Pitlochry, United Kingdom
“Excellent place to dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Given I am such a faddie eater and I did not want anything on the evening menu, nothing to do with the food just me being such a fussy an eater. The waiter asked the chef if he would do me a baked potato even though it was not on the menu and it was no problem for them to oblige. I would most definitely go there again, great food and brilliant staff the decor was nice too. Good food at very reasonable prices. Good all round

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, All of the team here at Strathgarry work hard to give all of our customers the best experience they can have with us, Our kitchen team are always pleased to hear of feedback from our customers, so I will pass on your comments to them, once again I thank you for your review
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fastest biggest best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We booked here for accommodation and dinner on 26th may. It was a direct booking and when we arrived the place was going like a fair -really busy. So we got checked in and then chilled till dinner at 730. We'd paid for the residents special pay 30 get 40 value. We were served quickly although the large mineral water was not chilled. As soon as we finished one course the next arrived in minutes and the fish platter was amazing - it was enormous and great value. We had only room for a scoop of ice cream and coffee.

Breakfast next morning was equally well cooked and hot and I loved the porridge with cream and honey. Endless toast and good machine coffee. The restaurant filled up in no time with ordinary punters as well as the residents.

Karen the manager was amazing friendly, caring for us the whole time.

Well done!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Karen-Strathgarry, Manager at Strathgarry Restaurant, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
thank you for your review, all of the team here at Strathgarry strive to give our guests the best possible service and experience, I will pass your comments onto all of the team, who are always happy to hear the feedback from our guests, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to seeing you again in the near future