“Excellent - a highly enjoyable and comfortable stay, with great staff.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal George Hotel

Save Saved
You added Royal George Hotel to your Saves list
Royal George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tay Street, Perth PH1 5LD, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 16 hotels in Perth
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent - a highly enjoyable and comfortable stay, with great staff.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I'd recommend this hotel wholeheartedly whether you are travelling on your own as I was, or if you're part of a group or a couple. I enjoyed a very clean well-appointed room of a good size, with a comfortable bed and sofa, and a new flatscreen TV. Decoration is certainly traditional rather than modern and minimal, but it's not at all shabby. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were very good and reasonably priced, and every single member of staff I met was extremely welcoming, friendly, efficient and effective. A group of huntsmen who had travelled from London to stay for a week felt the same as me. Downstairs there's a comfortable and warm lounge/bar where locals and residents meet and relax, and the adjoining meeting rooms were often busy, but never noisy. It clearly has a lot of local support, and rightly so. The town centre location is perfect, although hotel parking is limited as would be expected. They also offer free high speed wireless internet - a real bonus considering how much chain hotels can rip you off for this essential service. My only single gripe was that the bar doesn't stock crisps, nuts or similar snacks! But that's my only complaint - I'll be back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
theroyalgeorge, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Thank you for your kind comments and your recommendations for the Royal George, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and subsequently took the time to put your views on Tripadvisor. Our aim is to keep The Royal George a traditionally styled hotel, with open log fires and afternoon teas, but with modern technology quietly integrated – you point out the free wifi and flat screen tvs. We do indeed feel blessed with location of the hotel overlooking the Tay, which offers many of the bedrooms and restaurant guests glorious views of Scotlands longest river, whilst still being a two minute walk from the city centre. I note you intend to return in the near future, the crisps and nuts will be waiting!!

293 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Montrose, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2010

We stayed for one night's B &B on "lightnight Perth"
We had a very comfortable stay,but the breakfast was abominable ,I had scrambled egg and bacon on soggy inedible toast and the bacon looked pale and as if it had been boiled, instead of grilled or fried.Needless to say it went back uneaten!
Most disappointing,I do farmhouse B& B and would have been ashamed to give any of my guests a plate lke that.We also got stuck in the car park because of snow,and asked in the hotel if they had any salt,and were told no,two very kind gentlemen pushed us up the car park slope!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
theroyalgeorge, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on the Royal George after your recent stay. I am delighted you have had such a comfortable stay, however was sorry to read your review with regards to your breakfast and getting out of the car park. Hopefully I can answer both of these issues for you.

Owing to the heavy snow our breakfast chef, was one of several staff unable to make it into work, and this resulted in the night manager cooking the breakfasts that morning as well as helping to serve and clear the restaurant. Not ideal I know, however there was very little we to could regarding the adverse weather. The bacon, for your information is not boiled, it is unsmoked, hence has a paler appearance than smoked bacon, and is indeed grilled!!

Obviously you are well aware of the sudden heavy snowfall that hit Perth and indeed has covered the country since that day. Our car park also fell casualty to this early snowfall. Whilst we do not hand out salt, I would like to point out that the two kind gentlemen you refer to pushing you out of the car park were in fact part of our maintenance staff, who were in the car park to commence the snow clearing and gritting!!

Finally having awarded the hotel an average of 70% in the value, location, cleanliness and sleep quality sub sections, I find it very surprising and somewhat bizarre that you then went on to give us an overall main score of 40%!! Is this a fair reflection................?
Selby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

Booked through late rooms.com. Room quite small but comfortable. Parking very restricted but the information does say this. We felt that we had been given a room at the back with a view of the dustbins and at the top of the hotel because we had booked cheaper through late rooms.com. It wasn't that cheap (£75.00) and the water in the bathroom was only luke warm. Reported this and the night receptionist was very kind and apologetic. Breakfast was good and breakfast staff were lovely.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
theroyalgeorge, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to submit your feedback on your stay. I am delighted you found your room comfortable, had a good breakfast and our staff were lovely. I can assure you that rooms are allocated automatically from laterooms, and your view of the car park was not down to the fact that you had booked through this site. Whilst the vast majority of our rooms are front facing with glorious views over the River Tay, the nature of any city centre hotel, is that not all rooms will benefit from good views.

I have to disagree with your point on price, which was 31.90 ex vat per person for bed and breakfast, which I think is fantastic value for money in Perthshire! Having researched pricing in the surrounding area after this review, I have found another 3 star hotel in the area charging 120 per evening bed and breakfast, and that our rate was in fact cheaper than several B&Bs! Our pricing, especially during this recession, is a key factor in our business strategy and I guess our continually competitive rates, are one of the driving factors behind the continued success of the hotel. I also assume that, like many of our bookings from laterooms, price was one of the main factors determining your booking.

Thanks again for your feedback, I hope to welcome you back to The Royal George Hotel, in the near future.
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stay at the George quite regularly for business and have always found the staff friendly, the rooms clean and the food to a good standard. Travelling alone I sometimes would prefer dishes from the high tea menu served in the bar which is never a problem for the restaurant and bar staff. The lady serving breakfast is always welcoming and accommodating to my early morning lack of decision.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

stayed 1 night here in september. firstly there were no parking spaces which this does not state on the website, we ended up parking precariously against the wall. then when we got to our room, it was huge with a lovely double bed and a single bed plus a seating area and lovely flat screen tv but there was a strange sewrage smell when you opened the bathroom door although the bathroom looked clean. the room was very well cleaned and the linen was lovely and crisp.
there was also a wedding happening there when we stayed which we were not informed about and the noise was horrendous and we couldnt get to sleep until the early hours of the morning,
we ate dinner there and it was lovely with good service, prices and wine!
the sewrage smell was noticable downstairs in the bar though.......
the breakfast was ok but the toast was cold and the scrambled eggs were awful.
i would stay here again but only because of its location.
i felt £100 for the night was too much considering all the factors

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
theroyalgeorge, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments regarding your stay at The Royal George. Whilst I was delighted to hear your comments on your bedroom, the linen, dinner, wine and the general cleanliness of the hotel, I would like to respond to the points which have disappointed you during your stay.

We have a limited car park for 18 vehicles, which is available on a first come first served basis. Clearly we are a city centre hotel, where space is at a premium, indeed hundreds of city centre hotels throughout the UK offer no car parking at all, let alone as a free service as we do at The Royal George. I would also like to make customers aware that street parking is available on George Street and there is an NCP in Kinnoull Street, 500 yards from the hotel. I do note in your review that you managed to get a space in the hotel car park!

Weddings are very common in hotels throughout the world, and we are thankfully a popular destination for couples. All our weddings finish at midnight, so I am unsure what noise was keeping you up until the early hours of the morning, but I do apologise if this was the case.

The smell you make reference to was not sewage! This was cooking fat from a blocked kitchen drain, which admittedly, when the industrial drain unblocker is poured into it, lets off a pungent smell, which will travel through the pipes until it dissipates, usually within a couple of hours. Thankfully this is an extremely rare event!

I hope this answers your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal George Hotel in the near future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Did not receive room booked. (small double instead of twin)
Uncooperative & unfriendly reception
Supposedly a four star hotel:
No lift; no shower cap in bathroom; only one set of towels,;no writing pad & pen beside phone; dark over furnished room
Loud shouts through the night in street nearby
Diner very mediocre with poor house wine. At breakfast guests have to keep asking for extra coffee
The hotel lives on its past glory and passing trade. Local reports are mostly negative.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
theroyalgeorge, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Firstly, you booked a double room. I am unable to publish it in rely, as it does not confirm to the rules on Tripadvisor, but I have tried! When your confirmation of a double room was shown to you at reception, you denied sending it! Albeit it had your name, address and email number on it!

You fail to mention that, although fully booked that evening and therefore unable to find you a twin room, we set up the sofa bed in the room in order to give you the twin bed option. (The option you hadn’t originally booked).

I am not sure where you have picked the idea we are a four star hotel. We are a visitscotland three star hotel, as advertised everywhere!

You claim that local reports are mostly negative. I am not sure how you have concluded this? Did you do a survey? What was the sample size? One or two? I know you don’t live in Perth! Wait a minute............have you made this up as well?

You claim the hotel lives on past glory, and passing trade. You are really struggling to find fault now aren’t you? Were the group you came to visit not from France and here for seven evenings? Not exactly what you would class passing trade is it?

I could go through every point you raise, but I suspect, like me, the rest of the people reading this review can make their own judgements, and can come to their own conclusions on the validity of your review.

Having contacted the organiser of the Franco Scottish group to make them aware of this, I am delighted to report the group thoroughly enjoyed their stay at The Royal George which I am sure you will be overjoyed to hear.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

As a single traveller I was given a double room which was clean and well equipped. The food was first rate especially the choice and value of the supper value. It was nice to see mainly local people employed which I was told is company policy. Excellent value, would recommend to anyone and will certainly return in the future.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to put your views of The Royal George onto Tripadvisor, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and intend to return. It is policy with single travellers, that when possible, we will upgrade them into a double room at no additional cost, a service many of our guests are delighted with! Thanks again, we look forward to welcoming you back to The Royal George.

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!