“On the footprints of Queen Victoria” 4 of 5 stars

Royal George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tay Street, Perth PH1 5LD, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Perth
Turin, Italy
“On the footprints of Queen Victoria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

This hotel is an ancient one. Established in the first half of the 19th century, it gained the qualification of "Royal" at the end of it, when its staff was able, with a short advice, to offer a remarkable stay to the Queen Victoria on the way to Balmoral, blocked in Perth by a railway accident. It has maintained the Victorian style (and the Victoria's original furniture) both in the lobby and in the rooms, that are, in any case, very confortable and clean. Unfortunately, not all the rooms have a view and there is no lift, so be careful if you have heavy luggage. The former main entrance of the hotel - now used as a backdoor - allows you to reach the pedestrial area and the city center in a second.
The hotel has a restaurant, a beautiful terrace and facilities for private events (in fact, we can't try the cooking because of a wedding party). It's easy to find because it's located on the main road that borders the River Tay and allows a quick exit from Perth both towards North (Speyside distilleries and Deeside castles) and South (Edimbourgh).
Price in line with the size of the city: £ 100 for a double room.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I was in room 29, overlooking the river. Modest room, but I was alone. There was a very dead large spider hanging on the wall and it was still there that evening in site of my informing reception. also I found 2 hairpins on the floor - not mine! It could not have been vacuumed properly.
food was good, service slow. Lovely location by river.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

Most enjoyable overnight stop over
Great location
Very nice room, clean and with all facilities
Excellent bar and restaurant with panoramic view of the river
and at a good price

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

Myself and my partner stayed here on a week night, bit of a muddle getting a parking spot,ut for dinner which is at the back of the hotel in a small area, but we managed eventually. Guy working on recpetion was efficient but it did seem like we were more of an inconvience than anything else. Got the keys to our room and up the stairs we went, second floor rom 49, our room was over looking the river (as I had requested). Room was clean and comfortable, and to honest if I had to make one complaint, it would be that the bed was too soft for my liking, but I am one of these people who like a bed that is very hard.

We went out to dinner just down the street from the hotel, Grand Italia only one word to describe this place FANTASTIC!! Owner is an italian, and he passion for food and service is only leveled by the quaility of the meal. Highly recommend this place we had a 3 corse meal, bottle of bubbles, bottle of beer, glass of red and I also had a liquer coffee and the total bill was £67!! Portions were great and everything was just perfect. we will be going back there next time we are in Perth with any hesitation.

After our meal we went for a wander around the town it was very quiet, so we headed back to the hotel thinking we could get a drink at the bar, it was not even 11pom and the bar was shut and there was not a single member of staff to be seem, so we just went back to our room.

Breakfast next morning mmmm well to start we didnt even know where it was we had to ask a member of staff where to go, we went to the room, and a man (I think the manager) came and took us to our table, we were asked if we would like tea or coffee and toast, we said yes. Tea and coffee were great toast was warm bread, we asked for it to be double toasted, then it was great. Good selection for buffet breakfast, and looked good for the cooked. Partner had full scottish, he said it was good. I had poached eggs and bacon on toast, eggs were ok, bacon was salty for my taste and toast was soggy, my advice would be to ask for them seperatley.

But like I said it is good for a one night, but needs attention to the detail.

INVERGORDON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My wife and I are just back from a weekend at this hotel and our experience certainly differs from the majority of reviewers - maybe we just caught it on a bad weekend as at no time did we see the all round standards of excellence that many reviewers have mentioned.

Rooms : We had a twin toom which was simply but well furnished with all the usual bits and pieces and very clean. The ensuite was above average for this grade of hotel.

Public Areas : Old worlde charm, spacious and well maintained - no complaints.

Bar and Dining areas : Roomy,comfortable and well maintained.

This is an old hotel which is extremely well maintained and provides a very comfortable environment to have a relaxing weekend in . It all sounds promising but the all round level of service we experienced was very poor and we also saw other examples of generally poor attitude and service being displayed to other residents.
Firstly the bar service - the bar was regularly left unattended and had to wait for service, on one occasion when none was forthcoming I had to go to reception to ask. We had a couple of glasses of white wine which were actually bordering on warm as the ice in the bowl where they kept the bottles on the bar was no more than 4 ft away from a very powerful and hot light which melted the ice and then warmed up the wine. I took the wine back to the bar after tasting and it was replaced from the fridge and the complaint accepted but not with very good grace and the rest of the bottles remained. Whilst standing at the bar ordering another drink a resident remarked to the barman the high price of the dashes of mixers for spirits - whether the remark was warrented or not does not excuse the barman off handedly saying "I just work here so you are talking to the wrong person" This was the same barman who within a few minutes when asked about when the bar closed for residents replied "When I say so - it is after 10,30 and I'm in charge now" this was a bit of a shift from absolving himself of all responsibilty a few minutes before. The bar run out of Scotland's most popular brand of whisky and customers were informed that was how it was without any hint of an apology and they also ran out of lemon wedges (on a Saturday evening) and again without any apology. It was all very offhand service and bordering on rude.
Now to the breakfast which was an absolute shambles with no obvious structure as to how tables were being dealt with - waiting staff standing around with plates of toast, cooked breakfasts etc etc looking rather bemused as to where it should go and on several occasions could not find a home for it and went back into the kitchen. On the first morning we had our order taken and first of all got the toast but no tea so we waited and then got our cooked breakfast, still no tea but to avoid it going cold we made a start, no butter for the toast which was by now cold so we got the butter by which time half a breakfast eaten before the tea arrived - it was shocking.
Next morning thought it must be better only to arrive to see plates going back to the kitchen as the wrong orders had been taken out to a table, We certainly got our tea,toast and butter on time and the cooked breakfast pretty quick too. My wifes sausage,bacon,egg was stone cold and when we complained we were informed as to why it happened. It seems because I had the smoked haddock and poached eggs which were made from scratch my wifes breakfast had gone cold waiting on the plate - I really should have known !!. The manager did offer a recook but by that time I had eaten my breakfast and my wife opted to go continental.
It will come as no surprise that after our breakfast experience we chose to eat out in the evenings so unable to comment on that but it seems like their High Tea menu is popular.
The check in/check out process was effciient but not particularly friendly or helpful.

All in all I find it difficult to understand the excellent reviews on this site but maybe we just caught a bad weekend. What I will say is that I can see how this hotel could attract good reviews if the level of service that we experienced was improved, especially the barman who seemed to think that we should all be grateful for his presence and charm !!
I do note that in what appeared to be a previous rather unfair and negative review the managerial response centered around complaining at the time, well I did complain and things were resolved but eradicating the need for complaint and stopping staff coming up with pathetic excuses for poor service is what is really required.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010 via mobile

Have just returned from a trip to scotland where stayed one night in royal George. We were given an upgraded to a suite, which was enormous, fantastic value for money. Lovely food, especially the meringue. Highly recommended will definately make a return trip.

• Stayed August 2010
Elgin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2010

Booked at short notice for a weekend break, in June. For only £20 more than a Travelodge (When counting Breakfast), thought I would treat the other half.

Came down from the very misty and soggy Moray Firth to a Perth with Mediterranean sunshine, which though not arranged by the hotel, did put us in a great mood.

Very surprised to be given a four poster suite, with a large triangular bath and walk in shower, the room was of good size and clean, but alas no river view, but not all windows can face the river, in a city centre hotel.

The food was well presented and of good quality for a reasonable price, The bar was comfortable and had a nice ambience to it. The barman was very cheerfull and helpful.

The location is fantastic for wandering around Perth, a two minute walk right into the heart of a beautifull and bustling city, the sunshine helped a lot too. Perth has a nice "Continental Feel" to the city centre, with a good "Cafe Culture" also a couple of good pubs.

The only fly in the soup, is the small car park, but that is just the age of the building and I do not see it being too big a problem,

(The hotel is an old coaching inn and does have stalls for your horse and carriage underneath if required).

We are going back in September, so it must have been good.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!