“Second stay at the George” 4 of 5 stars

Royal George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tay Street, Perth PH1 5LD, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 16 hotels in Perth
Aberystwyth
“Second stay at the George”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is the second time my son and myself have stayed in the hotel and hopefully we will return several more times. We come up to Scotland for a few days fishing every Autumn and have found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and staff to be very friendly and extremely helpful.
Parking can be a problem and you may have to park on the street, however for us it was not too bad as we would be away in the morning just after eight and arrive back about seven in time for a G&T (or two) and dinner.
The food is excellent, fresh veg. and fruit and good quality meat. The one thing I think that lets it all down is the "french fries" which are those horrible frozen ones. When everything else is of a good high standard I can not understand why they serve such rubbish. (I did mention this in my last review as well)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
St Albans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

We got married at the Royal George on the 2nd November 2013. From the first time we met the owners Eddie and Lorna (and all their staff) they were utterly fantastic. They offered great advice from start to finish so listen carefully. The hotel is ideal as a venue for up to 110 day guests and some more at night. The food is as good as you get in the most expensive UK restaurants but with bigger portion sizes! Great value, lovely bar, great staff, warm open fires, comfortable bedrooms and all located in the heart of Perth looking onto the River Tay. Eddie is calm throughout and offers lots of good free advice - he is your free wedding planner! We will be going back for a weekend at some point as we loved it so much and our guests all thought it great too!

Room Tip: Try to get one with a view of River Tay but all rooms are very good.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I struggled to find the car park never having been to Perth before, so when I finally arrived at reception i was very relieved to be there! I was "greeted" by a male receptionist who obviously is working too long and hard and doesn't have time to put on clean, fresh clothes. He mumbled to me the general direction of my room but I ended up having to ask someone else. The room was fine, clean and comfortable.

I sat in the beautiful restaurant for dinner and was served eventually by staff who looked terrified of an older woman who was barking orders to them. They were obviously very busy with a function and extremely under staffed so I didn't mind waiting a while for my drink and food. When my meal did arrive it was completely drowned in oil and my chips were still frozen in the middle. I tried to explain this to a waitress who didn't seem to understand English very well, so I left a little hungry and disappointed for my bed.

When I rose for breakfast the buffet table looked fantastic but the 2 women serving were run off their feet and again my meal was disappointing with the scrambled egg being cold, runny and unseasoned.

This is obviously a fantastic business but they are going to be closing pretty soon if they don't employ more staff!

• Stayed September 2013
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Royal George is an excellent hotel/restaurant! The views are stunning over the river Tay, the staff are so friendly and welcoming. When you first enter you see marvellous hall ways and everything's very slick and well organised. If you wish to order food you could do so which i did and WOW I was blown away with lovely flavours nicely presented to you on the plate, and I'm not a big eater but you can order half sizes which I found very handy indeed, that way you can have 3 courses if you so wish !!! Honestly I was blown away with it all :) I will be looking forward to returning with my loved ones and friends for more delicious meals served by friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Andorra, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Paid 130 quid a night for a triple room , room was nice but no view and I felt expensive .

Had I had a view of theTay rather than I brick wall I might have been more impressed

The hotel wifi was awful so forget it and the local 3 G was iffy

Service in all areas was pretty good particularly the bar.

I was able to have lots of business meeting in the lounge

No idea what the total bill was as I couldn't check out at 7 am and I am still awaiting a bill presumably they took money off my card? I had to leave all the details

Great location in town would I stay there again .......not sure far better than Salutation , better location than Park hotel or the Station but Station better value and Park Hotel classier. So much of a muchness.

Eat at Mae Ping fine dining a fantastic world class thai

Room Tip: Ask for a Tay view .
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Batley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

After a brief google I came across the Royal George, and after seeing a Facebook discount and a price online I decided I would give them a call, always prefer speaking to a person rather than booking online. £45 b&b can't really complain considering the rating on tripadvisor.

On arrival the reception area was nice, traditional, well lit but warming and friendly. Checked in with ease and was shown evening meal options. Told breakfast was 7.30-9 but asked if I could come down at 7.15 and this was not an issue.

The room had a large desk area for working at which was brilliant, the single bed was comfy and the bathroom was a decent size. Shower was good and the glass in the bathroom was actually glass which was perfect for my recent Islay acquisition!

Only negative is WiFi. I have to admit I didn't read the website thoroughly, I saw the WiFi symbol and automatically assumed it would be accessible throughout, but it was only in the public areas of the hotel. This is not conducive to business travellers who might be doing private and confidential work and emails, but especially so with how busy the hotel was.

Breakfast was excellent, I could see I wasn't the only one who wanted an early breakfast! Excellent choice of fruits and cereal and juices (including tomato which is great), and the cooked breakfast options were again excellent and more than you would normally expect. The breakfast waiter was running around the place as he was on his own, others did turn up to help but not until nearer 8am.

The hotel is fantastic. If I was returning with the wife or family or friends would happily stay again, however as a business traveller I couldn't, WiFi is that important on an evening and I am not comfortable doing work in public places. The room had a great working space in it which was wasted really, the hotel really needs to make an addition of WiFi throughout the hotel as it will detract business users I feel. Room space, breakfast quality etc are not as important to me as good WiFi access on an evening.

Room Tip: Room with a view over the Tay would be perfect.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My son and I stayed here for one night on a short tour of Scotland. Luckily they were able to provide two single rooms on very short notice.
The Royal Geoge is in a great location with walking access to all the town centre facilities and views over the River Tay. There is some guest parking in a car park to the rear which can be a bit of a squeeze.
The rooms are generally comfortable if somewhat dated and the bathrooms are also a little past their best.
Nevertheless, the service was good and our stay was comfortable enough and the breakfast very good.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!