“Great venue for a knees up - but a little tired for an overnight stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal George Hotel

You added Royal George Hotel to your Saves list
Royal George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tay Street, Perth PH1 5LD, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Perth
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great venue for a knees up - but a little tired for an overnight stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

My friends had their wedding reception at the Royal George this weekend and it was a great venue; a central Perth location by the Tay, a good size function room (for c.60 people) and a cracking dance floor (vital for a ceilidh!). The drinks weren't overly price either which is always a bonus.
My husband and I stayed overnight and although the room was spacious and fulfilled our needs for a one night stay, it was definitely tired and in need of a bit of a spruce up. Both the double bedroom and bathroom were functional and clean but the bed had seen better days - it was a little like sleeping on a bag of potatoes with a few springs mixed.
Breakfast was served until 9.30 (so don't expect a lie in!) and eating in the conservatory you have a lovely view of the Tay. The breakfast selection was good (from a continental selection to kippers) but the 'Scottish Breakfast' certainly didn't live up to its name as it lacked any traditional elements - no haggis, no fruit pudding, no lorne sausage. Very disappointing!
All in all we found the Royal George a nice hotel with old style charm but a room refresh is definitiely needed before it truly meets its 4* classification.

Room Tip: Our room had a view of the Tay which was absolutely lovely - although it was a bit chilly so whack o...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Kirkintilloch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I booked a two night stay at The Royal George Hotel, Perth, Scotland for the nights of 21 and 22 September, 2012. I used the hotel’s own website which was £20 cheaper than most of the online hotel booking sites.

I relied on the high ratings on this site, which I usually find quite accurate; but my experience was somewhat different.

The bar and reception area are like something out of a 50’s/60’s movie with mismatched red sofas, blue/green high chairs and old beige leather u-shaped arm chairs on a purple carpet (see picture).

Once you have realised that you need to turn left before the hotel and drive all the way round the one way system, you will probably miss the entrance to the car park and when you spot it second time around take care with the very steep incline which will most likely scrape the bottom of your car. On second thoughts don't bother, it will be full anyway.

My room, 43, was much smaller than many of those pictured but adequate enough to accommodate an armchair and desk. I had a view of rooftops to the rear. The bed, cushions and curtains were in a contemporary grey and wine colour scheme and I think that the tartan throw was meant to match but I’m not sure about the Elizabethan style desk and bed-side table (see picture)!

The bed was comfortable and the thermostatically controlled radiator provided more than adequate heat; but you might not be very comfortable in the summer as there is no air-conditioning and the window would not stay open. It announced its closure with a loud bang!

In the morning I struggled with the shower controls. There is an old-fashioned tap like control at right angles to the shower which one might think controls the flow but actually it controls the temperature and there is a white lever like a toilet flush behind it that you might think controls the temperature but actually controls the flow. Anyway I got it working after a bit of juggling about and there was a reasonable if not spectacular flow of water from the can type head but after a couple of minutes it simply stopped; not reduced or dripped, just stopped completely.

I phoned down to reception who could offer no explanation but did offer to send up the handyman; which I explained wasn’t very convenient as I was dripping wet on the carpet at that point.

At first sight the breakfast was more than adequate and well laid-out. I saw at least 6 cereal choices, yogurt, fresh fruit and prunes and some half dozen jugs of fresh (or pseudo fresh) orange juice (which did seem a trifle excessive) and two or three other juices. I was quickly served coffee and ordered brown toast. A second waitress offered a full cooked breakfast, from which I just ordered scrambled egg and a sausage. The coffee was worse than the worst airline coffee, very weak indeed. The toast was only done on one side. I don’t mean it was a little done on the other side; it wasn’t done on the other side at all. I sent it back. The scrambled egg was served with more one sided toast and three small sausages. The scrambled egg was like some kind of dessert blancmange, basically just a tasteless, inedible gooey mess. I enquired if it had been made from boxed egg or powder, which suggestion was met with a degree of indignation and my request that the waitress taste it herself elucidated a reference to the manager.

I decided to check out immediately. I was refunded/not charged for the second night. The manager at first blamed me for not operating the mystical shower controls properly but then said “it must be the valve” as if that was some kind of acceptable explanation. He agreed not to charge me for breakfast which he said was £10 although the receptionist said it was “included” and thus not priced. I asked for a discount for the lack of a shower and in total he offered £20 which I wasn’t happy about and in a subsequent telephone conversation, asked the receptionist to refer back to the manager. At this point I do not know exactly what I have been charged.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Warrington, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I'm writing this whilst sat in a horrible, dingy basement room with the sound of baby elephants dancing above me, trying to work whilst balanced on the window ledge trying to get a signal on my dongle/laptop. If I open the window to get some air, I get bombarded by traffic noise and the smell of fried food fills the room.
I appreciate its a town centre location and some noise is to be expected but this is just horrible. I have even tried cancelling my meetings for tomorrow so I can make the 4-5 hour journey home this evening rather than stay.

As a lone female business traveller I prefer to order room service rather than sit alone in the restaurant. I have a choice of a sandwich, a steak pie or fish and chips. I don't understand why those basic things are the only things that can be carried down to my dungeon when they have a lovely restaurant menu.

I have 2 extremely uncomfortable single beds pushed together to make the 'double for single occupancy' I have paid extra for. The window frames are black with mold in places and the net curtains also show signs of the mold.

I rarely leave any negative reviews and prefer to sort the matter out while in the place and usually most things can be over come. Whilst the receptionist was a lovely lady who welcomed me warmly and help me find the tiny car park, she couldn't help when I asked to be moved as the hotel is full. I asked if I could be moved and explained the problems from the noise and the smells but was told hotel was full and the noise directly above me should improve when the 'high tea' finishes.

So I'm stuck in a dingy basement, with awful smells, noise and can't work as I can't get phone or dongle service. I'm in Perth for business regularly but would rather a Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn to this and thats saying something!

Never again.

Room Tip: Pick somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
perthshotel, Owner at Royal George Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Tripadvisor. I am sorry that your experience of the Royal George has not met with your expectations.

The baby elephants you refer to were The Royal Marines Band, who had booked the function room above for one hour, for high tea between 5pm – 6pm, prior to their concert at the close by Horsecross Concert Hall. Whilst I appreciate there was some noise, with the size of the party and the short time window they had for their booking, I would like to make it clear that they had vacated the room by 6pm and that functions of this size and intensity are infrequent.

Whilst I concede you would have heard the party above you for the hour or so they were there, I am afraid I cannot accept you description of the room you stayed in as dingy and horrible. All four of these rooms have been refurbished in the last 18 months, and there is a photograph of room 72 on this website, for people reading this review to have a look at (to be clear, you stayed in the room next door – they are however, identical.) The beds were replaced during this refurbishment and are zip and link beds, which have the flexibility to be used as twins or as a double. I am surprised you had a smell of fried food, as our kitchens are located at the other side of the building facing out into the car park. I take on board your point regarding the room service menu and we will take a closer look at this menu.

Free internet access is offered in all public areas as advertised. We do not advertise and therefore do not claim to offer wifi in the bedrooms at present, whilst some rooms do pick up a signal from the public areas, which was the case in your room.

I am sorry we were unable to offer you another room, simply as you point out, we were fully booked.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our receptionist and our restaurant menu.
Aberystwyth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My son and myself sayed on the last week of September - we were in the area for a few days fishing on the Tay. The hotel staff were welcoming on arrival and throughout our stay they were all friendly and helpful, the service was excellent. This hotel is the one to go for if you are staying in Perth. Be warned though, the private parking is very limited and even on the street in the evening it was difficult to find a spot (pay meters).
The rooms were clean and comfortable and a decent size, however the rooms overlooking the main road and the river Tay have no double glazing and a light sleeper like myself will hear all the traffic noise.
The quality and choice of food was excellent (you MUST try the venison). Good quality meat, fresh vegetables and then they go and spoil it by serving those horrible cheap and nasty frozen "French Fries" which they probably bought for a £1 for five Kilos in Liddle and then serve with a hotel main course. Come on Royal George surely you can do better than that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Girvan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel during the summer on and off since 2009 for work and have found it to be one of the best hotels in Perth. Having tried most of the other hotels in Perth, this is the one we keep coming back to. It is a family run hotel, which gives you better service that the majority of the larger hotels. Parking at the hotel is limited, but have very rarely had to park in the street (where you have to pay). The rooms are well set out and spacious, with the last room i stayed in being recenty decorated, with a lovely view of the river Tay. There was confusion on the morning i checked out, where someone elses bar bill was charged to my room, which was sorted out without any fuss. I would recommend the High Tea for somone with a big apetite and sweet tooth. Would like to stay with my partner for a couple of nights to see the sights but is more expensive than some of the other hotels that do deals.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lochgilphead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Stayed at the Royal Geroge last weekend as we were attending a wedding. We were given one of the stunning refurbed rooms and i couldnt fault it at all -absolutely spotless with an amazing bathroom. Service was perfect at all times and the Anderson's made our trip feel like a home from home!!
The wedding was fautless and food fab for such a large number...just a shame we didnt have time to stay for high tea as the meringues looked amazing!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Kinross, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is the place to go for High Tea. The choice on the menu is outstanding, if you can't find something you like you must be a very fussy eater. There is plenty of hot tea or coffee and toast served whilst you await your main course then lovely scones served with cream and jam then the biggest ever meringues you have seen in your life. Service is attentive even although the staff are kept busy. It is perhaps best to book because any time I have been it has been busy. I have also attended a few dinner functions, the food served was second to none. The hotel itself certainly has a lot of character with plenty of comfortable sofas/chairs in the bar. If you visit Perth well worth a visit with wonderful views over the river whilst you eat.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Royal George Hotel? Share your experiences!