“One night trip to Perth” 4 of 5 stars

Huntingtower Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Crieff Road, Perth PH1 3JT, Scotland   |
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Perth
Telford, United Kingdom
“One night trip to Perth”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Without doubt the highlight of my stay at the Huntingtower was the food. Dinner can only be described as excellent, and excellent value too with three courses and coffee for £20. My only regret was that being a solo trip I wasn't sharing the experience with that someone special. I've willingly paid more than double for food of an equal quality at home in Shropshire so this can definitely be recommended for a special meal. Breakfast too was excellent and the restaraunt staff were all helpful and pleasant. One minor point was that having been asked to book a time to eat it was over half an hour after that when I was able to have my meal.

BUT

Oh dear ! I have quite some experience of travelling on my own and the horrors of single rooms so on this occasion with long distances to travel either side of this stay I booked a double room for the extra comfort. The room I was given (212) was quite dark and cramped - there was just too much dark furniture for the size of room. And it suffered from being located next to some noisy ventilation equipment. Fortunately that appeared to be switched off overnight and the bed was comfortable so not too bad. I did notice that the bed sheet however was damaged and that isn't acceptable from a hotel of this standard.

The bathroom too was quite cramped. A couple couldn't use it together. One criticism common to many hotels was there was just nowhere to put a wash bag. I don't like having to use the toilet seat as the only available flat surface .

Despite the obvious conclusion that anyone travelling on their own is given the least attractive rooms this is a hotel I would definitely consider revisiting. The staff I met were very friendly. Food is excellent value for money, the accommodation I experienced a little less so but overall I had a favourable impression.

Room Tip: If you want some space don't accept rm 212
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay.

I am thrilled to hear you found the foods excellent as I am sure will the chef and his team when I pass on your lovely comments. The staff will also be delighted to hear you found them helpful and pleasant.

I am sorry you found your room to be on the small side, the part of the building you stayed in is grade 1 listed therefore we are unable to make any physical alterations to the size of the room. I do take on board the remainder of your comments and will look into these to try and identify a solution

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the third time we have visited the Huntingtower Hotel and it just keeps getting better. Once again the food was first class, the staff where delightfully and the rooms are spotless. Now it is an old hotels and for people who do not know any better as some may say it needs updating well poppycock, it's a period hotel built 1890, and it's first class. The grounds are especially nice and again in character with with the surroundings. Congratulations Bill McNIcol you are a legend and a good chef to boot. Hope to see you all next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and that you are planning on returning. I will ensure to pass on your comments to all staff concerned especially to our Head Chef Bill McNicoll.
Elk Grove, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Staff at the check-in desk was very friendly. The room, bath/shower were a good size. Comfortable bed and quiet room allowed for a good night's rest. Was provided with a clear description of a good trail for running - starts right behind the hotel and continues along the river Excellent location for runners.
Nice breakfast room and very good selection. Loved the porridge.
It was nice to get an email from the hotel a few days before arrival to confirm the booking. Also received a thank you email after we left.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post such a kind review. I am delighted to hear you had such a lovely stay and enjoyed our Scottish porridge. I am also pleased that you found the walking/ cycling routes with no trouble and enjoyed the scenic routes.
Fort William, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel on 30th & 31st August to attend a family wedding (being held in the hotel).

On the Friday night, myself, my husband, my brother and sister-in-law checked in and were allocated rooms 208 & 210, just up the stairs from reception. The rooms were absolutely lovely in decor and we loved the 'rain shower' shower. The only slight niggle was that room 210 is very small - fine for our purposes but not if you were staying for a few days.

We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and the staff were extremely helpful when we made the dinner reservation prior to arrival. The menu is 3 courses for £19.95, with a supplement payable if you would like steak. Our food was delicious, and we found the portion sizes adequate.
There was a wedding on the Friday, but apart from some noise when guests departed at the end of the night, you would never have been aware of this.

We had an enjoyable time at our family wedding on the Saturday - again, helpful & friendly staff (with the exception of one or two!!) made everything run smoothly.

We ate breakfast both mornings and again couldn't find fault with it or the staff.

Overall, this is the first time we have stayed in the Huntingtower Hotel and I would recommend it. The staff couldn't do enough to help you, and the refurbished rooms make it hard to believe this hotel only has 3 stars. Perfect for a quiet weekend away, we will definitely return. Thank you to all the staff for making us feel so welcome :)

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review I am extremely happy to hear that you were made to feel welcome by our staff and that you had an enjoyable stay.

I am thrilled to hear you are planning to return, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Fortrose, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I simply love this unpretentious little hotel. Pretty grounds, lovely interior full of character, old original house and extension, close to Perth and friendly, pleasant staff. On previous visit stayed in gorgeous twin room in new bock, this time in newly refurbished rooms in old part. Rooms really well equipped, fantastic shower head, good sizes flat screen tv, wonderfully comfortable beds (something especially important to me), just perfect. Wedding reception was taking place during our visit but did not in any way intrude on the regular guest's visit. Lovely comfy bar and gorgeous wood panelled dining room in the old Scottish style. Meal was excellent! Tasted wonderful and beautifully presented. Breakfast served to order in the conservatory overlooking the lovely grounds. It is rare that a hotel at whatever star rating fulfils its promises. This hotel does that and always exceeds expectations. They really do want you to have a good visit! They don't pretend to be what they are not and I can't wait for an opportunity to go back and benefit from their truly special hospitality.

Room Tip: All rooms pleasant but rooms in new block are very special with lovely seating area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for you’re your lovely review I am delighted to hear that on more than one occasion we have exceeded your expectations, I hope we are able to continue to do this on future visits. I will ensure to pass on your comments to all concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Nice hotel. Quiet spot just outside Perth. Lots of steep stairs to rooms of which some doubles are quite small. Nice gardens, covered in snow when I visited, but no real walks in the area around the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay, I am pleased to hear you found us a nice quiet location. I am surprised to hear you say there are no real walks around the hotel as we are situated only a few mains from the main cycle route 77 in Perth which takes you along the river where you can go as far as Pitlochry or as short a distance as Almond bank. I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel where you can explore this route.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We arrived on a Friday afternoon ready to spend the weekend in the beautiful Perthshire countryside. The driveway leading up to the hotel is beautifully landscaped and the Hotel itself is stunning. At reception the staff were very welcoming and the arrival process was quick and efficient. The room, although a bit small was sufficient for our needs, squeaky clean and had all the "extras" ie tea, coffee and adequate toiletries for our needs. Although the grounds are very picturesque we could not see very much from the bedroom as the window was directly behind one of the facade's eaves. This hotel is well worth a visit and there are various money-saving packages to be considered. However, the only downside to our stay was the attitude of the bar/restaurant Manager and the breakfasting Manager. Both seem to think being sullen is the same as efficient. Smile guys, like the rest of the superb staff, it would certainly make a difference. They lack the ability to join in small chat! Wouldn't stop us returning as the Hotel and all other staff do their best to make your stay memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JasonDoga, General Manager at Huntingtower Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay I am delighted hear you had a wonderful stay and that you would consider returning in the future. I am pleased to hear you found the staff superb and will ensure to pass this onto all concerned. I am sorry however you did not find the attitude of the managers to be the same as the staff I will look into this immediately I am happy to hear that it did not spoil your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Been to Huntingtower Hotel? Share your experiences!