“2 star hotel at best” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   22/30 County Place, Perth PH2 8EE, Scotland   |
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Perth
“2 star hotel at best”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Entrance looks lovely and that's where it ends!!
Went as a "it is on"deal overnight stay with dinner and breakfast

Arrived and staff couldn't be less interested, asked if we were dining with them told them we asked to eat in bistro to which they replied there were no tables as they were expecting Christmas parties offered a table at 4pm or 9 pm we went for 4pm

after ordering food it took 30 minutes to arrive and restaurant was empty!!

The food in the bistro was disgusting macaroni cheese on a bed of oil with no taste and no cheese
Garlic bread with no garlic
A burger which was pink mince
DISGUSTING
After we finished we sat for a further 40 minutes waiting on our plates being removed after this time we decided not to bother waiting longer and having second course to our meal we had to tell the bar staff we were finished and walked out

The rooms are very very dated looked like last time they were updated was 30 years ago, the room was clean enough but very small and looked onto a block of flats above a kebab shop,

The shower was the worst I've ever used no pressure at all

Over all I could not wait to come home

• Stayed December 2012
General M, General Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
We always look forward to comments from our guests both positive and negative as they help to improve our service, identify areas where we are strong and the ones we have to work on. It is obviously difficult to comment on the food issues days after you have been with us, may I suggest you raise these points straight away next time. This way we have a chance to rectify and ensure you recieve the dining experience you were looking forward to and I can raise your points with our Head chef.

However allow me to clarify some points

You were told that we were fully booked from 6.30 to 8.30pm and you could have booked anytime before 6.30 or after 8.30. You decided to walk into the Bar Bistro and dine at 4pm

"The restaurant was empty"
Our first bookings begin at 5.30pm both in Opus One and Gavin's Bistro.

*Macaroni on a bed of oil :
The macaroni comes with a cheese sauce and with a herb oil on the plate around the pasta for tasting and presentation and I agree with you it looks like the macaroni is on a bed of oil but it is not.

*The burger was pink :
It does say on the menu "home made burger of the day" which was pork in this instance.
I suggest again that you should have raised it at the start of your meal, and at least the staff would have had the opportunity to address your dissatisfaction or to offer you another alternative if you were not happy.

*All my staff are very customer orientated and are great ambassadors for the hotel and to describe them as ( could not be less interested ) I would disagree in this matter, look to all the reviews we had in the past and every time the staff are praised.

*The rooms are a good 3 star standard and we get regular visits from Visit Scotland and the AA and any issues raised at anytime get solved straight away.

It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Jalal Al ibrahimi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We have just stayed for a one night break at the New County Hotel on the 14th December. The food in the Opus restuarant was excellent. The manager and hotel staff were very friendly and our room was very clean and spacious. We would recommend this hotel to anyone. Thank you very much - we will be back

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a complimentary review, I really appreciate the remarks about the location, food and service.

Have a nice Christmas and hope it is not too long before your next visit.
Dunoon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

What a lovely two night getaway. Bought two KGB vouchers,one for ourselves and one for a xmas present for my sister.
So glad we tried it out first- what a deal! Beautiful steak dinner (best I've had in a long time) served by the very funny but proffessional Jimmy and Louise.
Our room was a tad small, but we didn't realise at the time we could have changed this without any bother, we felt we were getting value for money anyway.
Thanks to this hotel we ventured a wee bit further to find another lovely place to visit in Scotland.
Didn't get to do any of the historical sites this visit as it was spent doing a bit of Christmas shopping, but Perth has every shop you could wish to find and a great street market and all the shop assistants were very freindly.
All in all we would like to thank Jalal (General Manger ) for his impecable service.
P.S. Do I give my sister her present or keep it for ourselves?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Recently had to make a unscheduled stop in Perth and didnt have any accomodation booked.
The staff and managers were very helpfull in accomodating me on short notice. The room was warm and cosy and after a good nights sleep had a wonderful breakfast, just what I needed to start the day.

Room was clean, well looked after and the staff were very friendly and helpfull. Location was perfect in relation to town center. Will definately be back for more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
General M, General Manager at New County Hotel, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad to hear that you had a good sleep after your unscheduled stop at the new County Hotel and have been looked after very well .

I hope it is not too long be your next visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed for one night 27th nov. the staff were very nice,the room was small but clean and warm. Our alarm call was an hour early so we were a bit grumpy and short of sleep.Breakfast was served in a nice room but portions were small and my poached eggs were served in a puddle,also the table was short of cups,milk and teaspoons. We overheard other guests being told that only decaf tea was available(we had coffee) Overall the stay was acceptable,but no more.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Monifieth, Angus, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I paid full Scottish breakfast and bed for 3 nights in advance. The vegetarian options at breakfast were abysmal and not value for money. Honey provided at the chef's discretion only. It was a very busy time with the SNP conference in the city but that's no excuse. At the end of my stay management insisted I pay again. They had kept the receipt on my arrival and wouldn't access it when I checked out so I had no proof. After many emails and phone calls I got the money back. Letter listing my complaints sent to proprietor on 5th November not yet acknowledged. Oh - and a sewing needle in the bedroom carpet stabbed my foot. Utterly dire attitude.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Looks lovely on website but when you arrive outside is very shabby.Was travelling on my own to my nieces hen night at The bothy so wanted somewhere close - fitted the bill on this count. Lovely foyer/bar/bistro - clean and welcoming - but have to agree the creaky stairs to the second floor are less than welcoming/reassuring!!Single room to side of hotel on first appearances seemed OK- however hotel is on a street with a lot of fast food restaurants/good old boy drinking pubs which although if part of a group I may have enjoyed,as a single woman of 50+ was a bit intimidating on the way to and from the Bothy.Got back to hotel at midnight and was glad of side room as street outside was busy /noisy with pubs etc - but hey it was a Saturday night! Now for the downside - the bed was really uncomfortable - I had a really bad nights sleep- when I got up at 8 I discovered that the en suite was only single glazed with a big sash window ( with large crack i may add) and did not have a radiator in it -merely a dimplex electric one. By the time the ensuite reached above freezing I decided I better abandon the idea of having a shower and go for breakfast as it was 9.30 and they stop serving at 10.Went down to breakfast and was asked to wait as they were busy, seated within 5 minutes or so as was another lady. Ordered coffee and read my magazine and waited -suddenly realised it was past 10 and still had not been offered breakfast- although the other lady had eaten and gone! Asked passing waitress for menu who obliged and waited some more - eventually another waiter appeared so I cornered him and ordered. waited some more - Manager passed and asked if I had enjoyed breakfast - I said i didn't know as it had yet to arrive. Breakfast arrived.By now truly grumpy through lack of sleep and poor service - got breakfast- only wanted sausage bacon and egg and got 1 of each!!! Thank god I wasn't hungry - managed to get second cup of coffee to wake me up enough for journey home. The staff were very pleasant but due to the poor nights sleep I'd had and slow service they probably thought I was the guest from hell -I apologise for this but buy decent beds and heat your bathrooms and I would have been a different person. Would not stay here again - £60 b&b -too much.

Room Tip: Don't get a single on the second floor - ask for from at back or side for peace and quiet!