“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Perth
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent position, straight across from the station and about 10 min walk to the town. It has recently been done up and decor throughout is contemporary and smart.

We stayed on a DBB basis. The room was clean, lovely and well appointed with freesat television, plenty of storage, bathroom with shower and bath and large windows which made it light and airy. There was even an umbrella that you could borrow if it rained. One strange thing is the tea and coffee is hidden in a bedside cabinet so difficult to find unless you are the kind of person that opens EVERY cupboard and drawer. However the room was very cold when we checked in and first thing in the morning with the radiators on timers, which is why this stay was almost perfect.

Dinner and breakfast were very good with plenty of choice at both meals. My boyfriend is a vegetarian and sometimes it is difficult to find decent food for him but no issues here. The staff were fantastic and very helpful. Local produce was used as well which I for one appreciate.

We would definitely go back.......but maybe when it's a bit warmer outside.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

I stayed here a few times a few years ago on business and it was lovely then. Now a few years later returning for a wedding with my partner last weekend for 3 nights we had a wonderful time in this great hotel. We booked a superior room and it was large and well equipped. The room had recently been refurbished in a contemporary style,as had all the public areas. There is a lovely warm and welcoming bar with a fireplace and we enjoyed diner at 63 Tay street on the Friday and in the Hotel bistro on the Sunday evening, on both occasions the food was superb. Staff were friendly and helpful, some recognising me from my previous visits. For a boutique style place with a warm welcome and great food it is hard to beat. My only niggle would be that I food the room a bit to warm but this was rectified by opening the window!

• Stayed December 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here on a 5pm DBB deal. We upgraded to a superior room which was large enough but we were in the attic space and sloping ceilings is not good when trying to get out of bed! Had to clamber from the top of the bed to the bottom to save me banging my head. We went to dinner in the Bistro which felt very cold on arrival but we were seated next to a radiator so I thought we would be ok! How wrong I was! It was freezing. Another couple sitting in the conservatory part of the Bistro were in the same position. Our meal was lovely so no complaints there. We thought we would have a drink in the “cosy” bar but again it was freezing. We ended up in our room with hubby having to have a bath to heat up. The room was cold as well – the radiators had cooled down considerably. I would have thought the heating would have been on at low constantly. I did mention twice at reception about the restaurant being cold but nothing was said about it. Breakfast was ok but again the Bistro was cold. We ate up and checked out. We weren’t asked how our stay was either. It was the same guy I had mentioned the cold to the night before. Hence why this is partly a negative report on the Hotel. I doubt we will go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I have just spent the night here using an Itison voucher.We had a huge, very comfortable and quiet room and a lovely meal in the Bistro restaurant. The service provided by all the staff was faultless. The hotel is well placed for anyone wishing to visit Perth and we would both thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Lovely small hotel in a great location - just minutes from both bus station, railway station and main shopping area. We had a dinner, b&b deal in a superior room at the front of hotel - the room was big, very comfortable and spotless. Our evening meal was delicious, as was breakfast. Would certainly recommend and will return.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Booked to stay in the hotel 2 nights Friday-Sunday. On booking over the phone I didn't receive the best service so wasn't sure what to expect but on arrival the hotel was in a lovely setting outside with nice interior. Again the service at reception wasn't great but nothing that concerned me. We were in one of the superior rooms on the ground floor which was lovely. Bottle of chilled Prosecco was nice to come into too. Dined in the restaurant that evening - 3 courses were all good, as were drinks. Breakfast was also good, lot of choice on the menu as well as cereals, yoghurts, juices etc in a buffet set up. Unfortunately that evening I became unwell due to food poisoning (campylobacter from an unconfirmed source) and we had to leave early to drive home. Apologised to the girl on reception that the room was left in a mess and she was very gracious and assured me it was no problem. I couldn't say whether the hotel was to blame for the food poisoning but certainly all the areas I seen were very clean and nothing suggested food hygiene was not as it should be. All in I was happy with the hotel, however I do believe it to be slightly overpriced for what it is. I have stayed in much more lavish hotels for a similar tariff. I have heard good reviews from others on the hotel would recommend to others.

Room Tip: Superior rooms very spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I visited this hotel as part of a 5pm deal. We stayed for 1 night on 16/11/13 and paid extra to upgrade to a superior room. Our first impression of the hotel was that it was in lovely surroundings so a good start. Having arrived at 13:40 we went to check in, knowing that we would not be able to get in to our room until 14:00 hours. Arriving at reception I explained that we were there to check in, to which the gentleman replied, quite curtly, that check in was not until 2. No, "how was your drive madam " or " i'll just check please have a seat". He wasn't rude, just somewhat unwelcoming. We then went to our room which was lovely, with a massive bathroom. We booked dinner for 7pm and that's where the real problems began. My partner chose a half bottle of red, which they didn't have, could he choose another, which he did - and they didn't have! We were scared to ask for another. He then gets his fillet steak - £25 worth - and asks for a steak knife - they don't have any! I'm sorry, but £25 for a steak and they have no knife to cut it, seriously! He also ordered mash with his steak which they didn't bring then blamed the girl who had taken the orders English - she wrote it down! It was also meant to come with a red wine sauce but the only visible sauce was from the steak.

Breakfast was no better. We both ordered scrambled egg with our full Scottish and when the breakfast came the eggs had not been drained so the rest of the breakfast was totally soggy. If you like good customer service and that bit extra, save yourself the trouble.

The best thing about the stay was the pub round the corner which was recommended by the receptionist - the twa tams, very good and nice atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Parklands? Share your experiences!