“Old style, odd arrangement of rooms” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 South Street, Perth PH2 8PH, Scotland   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Perth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Belford, United Kingdom
“Old style, odd arrangement of rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

When booking a cheap-ish city hotel you have the choice of a modern lodge-type place or an old hotel of character. The former will be clean, tidy and spotless with all rooms coming off the one corridor, the latter in need of some refurbishment in places and a bit of a warren. I prefer the latter. At reception I was given directions to my second floor room: take the lift to the third floor, walk along the corridor, go down a flight of stairs and along another corridor! I soon found a better route but only by avoiding the lift.
The room was comfortable, the breakfast was very good. The service from everyone was very good. The best thing was the bar food on the Saturday night, excellent and with discounts for being resident and a wine offer it was a really cheap price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a few lines about your recent stay. I am pleased that you enjoy the facilities of the more traditional style of hotel we certainly are full of character. I am pleased you eventually found your bedroom, some bedrooms do enjoy a tour of the hotel, but that's what makes the hotel interesting. I am delighted you found the room comfortable and the breakfast good and you enjoyed your bar meal.
We do hope that you will be back with us in the future and will be able to try out our new bar menu.
Once again many thanks.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Just back from our second visit here. We had to change rooms due to the very loud creaky floorboards above us so got a room on the 3rd floor. Elise on reception organised it all for us with no fuss, lovely girl. The room was spotless, beds comfortable, what more can you ask for! We ate in the bar the first night, food was nice, served by Scott, very helpful and a great asset to the bar/hotel. Breakfast was great, buffet style, lots of choice. Very filling. Served by Helen the supervisor, lovely woman and couldn't do enough for everyone! We hope to go back later in the year. It's a lovey old hotel with amazing staff!

Room Tip: 3rd floor is best
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Many thanks for your recent kind words on tripadvisor, I am so pleased that on your second visit that things were just as good. I am glad that both the girls and boys mentioned were delivering excellent service and looked after all your needs. I am pleased you found the rooms to be clean and spotless and all the food was nice.
Look forward to seeing you soon.
Many thanks.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for three nights. Salutation with very good location, very convenient to many places. Service is excellent, all the staff are very friendly and helpful! Breakfast is tasty!
The ambiance is very harmonious!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
SallyGM, Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Many thanks for your kind words about your recent stay, I am pleased to note that you found the service excellent, staff friendly and breakfast tasty and the ambiance harmonious....
We do look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to review.
Perthshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The hotel was very busy, but you could see that everyone (staff) knew what they were doing!
Simply Great! fantastic and very efficient reception staff, yummy breakfast! Spot on location! We will be back!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks for a brief but nice review, I am so pleased you felt all was in order with the staff and breakfast was yummy. Glad you will be back with us.
Istanbul
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I got a room that only accesible by taking the lift to 3rd floor and after walking a while in the 3rd floor, climbing down some stairs to a 2nd floor. I have no connection with the exit other than this route. my bathroom smells moldy and no internet in my room. only positive thing is that from now on I'll appreciate the little faults in the hotels I'm going to stay at for the rest of my life. Hope I never have to stay in a hotel like this.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to post a few lines and picture of your recent stay at the Salutation Hotel. I note from your booking you were in 202 which indeed is one of our older rooms. This room can actually be accessed by walking two flights of stairs to the second floor, the room is located to the left of this flight of stairs. Due to the nature of the building there are a variety of different rooms and locations - we do try our best to sign post all the rooms. We do not yet have WiFi in all the bedrooms - only some of the bedrooms on the first floor. All public areas have WiFi. I noticed on inspection on the room you stayed in that the bathroom extractor fan had been turned off at the fan, this should not have happened and may have resulted in other odours not being exhaled from the bathroom. I do hope you will try us again where I would be delighted to offer you one of our new rooms.
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Central hotel for city center very close to the high street for shopping. Room clean comfortable and very spacious. Breakfast brilliant value for money and very tasty. Staff very pleasant even when busy.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for jotting down a few lines about your recent stay, I am so pleased to read that you found the room to be clean, comfortable and spacious. I also note you found the breakfast to be very tasty and great value for money and the staff very pleasant.
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had arranged a touring trip to Scotland and the Salutation was our first stop. We stayed 3 nights on a DBB basis. I have never found a hotel to be more welcoming - all the staff were so friendly and helpful. There was a really good choice at breakfast (excellent porridge my partner says) and I had perfectly boiled eggs! Dinner was a treat too - nicely presented and really good quality. Our room did look out on rooftops and walls, but was clean and comfortable. Prices were excellent especially bearing in mind the 'freebies', i.e. entrance to Blair Castle and Scone Palace. . Although parking might perhaps be a problem on occasions, the nearby car park is free from 6pm to 8am, so if you are out all day you would just need to pay for an hour or so in the morning to allow you to get breakfast and you can pay for that in advance the evening before - problem solved We had a wonder start to our holiday and hope to return sometime.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Wow, what a lovely review, I am so pleased that you found all the staff to be so welcoming and friendly and that you enjoyed all the meals and choice of dishes. The Porridge is great, I have a bowl every morning ! Our breakfast chefs will be pleased that you found the Porridge and Eggs to be spot on. I am also pleased that you took up on our "freebies" and enjoyed your trips to some local attractions. Once again many thanks and we do look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards

Been to Salutation Hotel? Share your experiences!