“Amazing hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Perth
Sunderland, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

This was my first visit to Perth and it certainly won't be my last. The hotel could not be faulted. The staff were amazing, so helpful and efficient. The rooms were clean and so comfortable. Then there's the food. It's second to none, lots to choose from and was always the highest quality. I'd recommend this place to anyone

Stayed May 2014
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Wow what a fantastic review, I am so pleased that you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable and the food of the highest quality. We do appreciate the feedback and hope you will return in the near future.
Once again many thanks for your review.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

We held our first Home of Whisky Festival at the Salutation Hotel on Saturday 3 May and General Manager, Gordon Paterson and his team couldn't have been more helpful. From the initial organisation of the event right through to the actual day itself, both Gordon and Lorraine, the Events Manager worked hard to make sure everything was in place to ensure the day ran smoothly. It did, and the Exel Wines team are extremely grateful to them for all their help and support.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Many thanks for sending in a few lines about the recent Whisky Festival. I am so pleased you found all aspects of the service from the hotel and staff to be spot on. This was a great day and appreciate Exel Wines allowing the hotel to showcase what we have on offer and to be part of the festival. I do hope you will all return next year for such a superb event, It was great to see the hotel with such a buzz.
Kind regards and many thanks
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Maybe I'm picky I don't know, I do stop in a lot of hotels with my job and unfortunately this is the worst I've stopped in but probably not the worst out there.
Firstly no car park but this is a very old hotel so not really the hotels fault but just be aware, nearest overnight car park is canal street a 3-5 minute walk.
I arrived and checked in with reception, had to pay in full at the offset which is a first being a business customer and booking through a middle company.
I was given room 322, it had a strong stale cigarette smell and being a non smoker and asthmatic was not staying so asked to be swapped to a different room, which was given.
Reception was polite and quick at swapping me rooms, I was given room 320 which had a fusty smell and the oldest shower I've ever seen. The bathroom is very dated and has mould in the shower area, also used bottle of shampoo resting on the top of the cubicle.
So at this point I'm really not that impressed especially paying £79, if it was my own money I would have left at this point.
At this point I'm just hungry having driven over 7 hours, so I head to the restaurant. So arriving at the restaurant there is a sign saying wait to be seated which I do, whilst waiting I can see it's not so much a restaurant but more a canteen service and the clientele is of the very elderly. So still waiting I decide I will just eat in the bar instead.
I arrive at Reid's bar and head straight for the bar to get a drink, now I'm very down to earth and don't like the sirs and graces but I do like politeness. Martin is behind the bar and just looks at me, no hello or any words just rudeness, not what you expect in any hotel. A simple hello or what can I get you would have been nice and appropriate.
Anyhow it's just lots of little things at this point, so I order the Sally burger and a side of onion rings. 5 minutes later Martin leans over the bar and says 'are you sure you want onion rings cus you get some with the burger' , again just rudeness and no etiquette.
I will get straight to it, the onion rings were awful and saturated in fat and I left them. The chips again we're awful and saturated in fat, I eat the burger inside the bun and left the rest of the meal.
So I'm in my room writing this review, my first ever review on trip advisor. I would not personally recommend the hotel or stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed, discriptive and concerning review. I am sorry you are "confused" after reading the other reviews. We really do try hard at the Salutation Hotel to get things right and it appears on this occasion we failed to deliver our usual high standards. We do not have a car park but the nearet overnight car park is only 1 minutes walk away from the hote with two others within 3 - 5 minutes walk. It is now very common for hotel patrons to pay for their stay on arrival, this happens in many hotels. If not full payment a credit card authorisation would be required - since many hotels have been using this procedure there has been far less issues with non-payments and walk outs.

I am sorry that you had to discover a smell of stale cigarette in the room 322 (this is a newer room) however we have arranged for further airing to take place in the morning. I have spoken to reception who remember you calling down to have your room changed. As the hotel was very busy the only room left was 320. This is indeed one of our older rooms and yes the bathroom is listed for redecoration. The age of the shower and cubicle perhaps do make the bathroom look a lillte old fashioned, dated and speckled with age. We did recarpet and paint the bedroom and put new curtains in to at least cosmetically improve the room - which is very popular with families hence the four beds. I note the old shower bottle which should not have been in the bathroom. I do wish that one of the duty managers had managed to catch you at this time to acquire this empty bottle.

The restaurant is based on a carvery not a canteen with a selection of five main courses on the carvery. There are certain times of the evening that are peak times and we are happy to advise our customers to return in a few minutes while the peak times ease away. We can not help the age of the clientele and the hotel enjoys a very varied spectrum of ages and all days of the week and ages are welcome at the Salutation Hotel.

I would not say that Martin was meaning to be rude, but I do agree that some futher training should be carried out right away. I am sorry you did not enjoy the burger and chips - we serve a lot of these during the year and we make our own onion rings in house - your coments have are taken board.

I was not aware of your disatisfaction during your stay and if I was I would have been delighted to try and put right what went wrong and explain that we really do try to get it right at the hotel and if things might go wron how we ty to resolve, I am sorry that you will not be able to recomend our hotel but perhaps one day you might give the hotel a second chance.
Once again many thanks.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed here prior to attending a job fair close by. Hadn't been to Perth before and you always get that "hope the hotel is ok" after a long journey travelling.
Within seconds my concerns were over. Really nice welcome at the front desk. Rooms were clean and spotless. Duvet and bed were super comfy even with my morning back ache.
Local friendly staff going that little bit further to ensure breakfast ran smoothly and attended to people's needs without fuss or a pulled face.
For £44 can't grumble.
In all a nice traditional hotel.
Oh and Perth was gorgeous.

• Stayed May 2014
Many thanks for dropping in a few lines about your recent stay, I am pleased to read that within seconds of arrival you were happy with the welcome and found the rooms to be clean and spotless and very comfy. I also note you found the staff very helpful - we do try.
I do hope you will be back with us soon.
Kind regards and many thanks.
inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Once again the hotel and staff excelled themselves.
From the minute we checked in we were made to feel like V.I.Ps,all the the staff throughout the hotel tick all the " brilliant " box.
Our 2 night break was very enjoyable and we cannot fault anything about our stay, would highly recommend the hotel to all.
The food was great and we loved the restaurant since it got a revamp!.
I left something in our hotel room and within 2 days of getting back home I received it in the post.
Thank you very much Mr Paterson and your wonderful staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Once again the hotel and staff excelled themselves.
Thank you so much for taking a few minutes of your time to drop some nice words from your recent stay. I do appreciate the feedback and I happy that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the food and staff to be spot on. I am also pleased that housekeeping returned your lost property within a few days,
Hope we will see you back at Easter in 2015.
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Down for the races in a single room D/BB basis. Room 111 smart clean with all the amenities you require even WiFi worked well. reasonable choice of menu for the dinner option and the self service breakfast was good, restaurant staff very helpfull in a really nice enviroment. Only problem with the stay was the room I was in was near the functions in the hotel & the thumping music went on a bit. Management have acknowledged the mistake and apologised.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a few lines about your recent stay, I am very pleased you found the room clean, meals reasonable and good breakfast. I am also very happy that although you had a problem with some noise the complaint was acknowledged and duly apologised - this is indeed very important to us.
I do hope we will see you back and please do ask for a quiet room on your next return.
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Once again in Perth.From the moment we came throughout the door it was all smiles.
Nothing disappoints. The high standard prevails.
The most important thing is to ask and the staff will respond.
Alls well in Sally.
Looking forward to our nest visit.

Room Tip: Keeping it to myself