“Great range of malt whiskies at competitive prices - decent room, great staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Salutation Hotel

Save Saved
You added Salutation Hotel to your Saves list
Salutation Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 South Street, Perth PH2 8PH, Scotland   |
Ranked #5 of 16 hotels in Perth
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great range of malt whiskies at competitive prices - decent room, great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

If I hadn't been here for work I might have exploited the bar a bit more.

My room was nice and warm but my bathroom was baltic!

I didn't have breakfast (a running theme of mine!) but I got a nice peaceful sleep in quite a busy part of town.

The hotel doesn't have its own parking so you might have a to feed the meter (just around the corner) so you don't get a ticket in the morning.

The hotel only has internet in the public areas. They couldn't offer me a room close to the router but they said it is something they are looking into improving.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking a few minutes to put a couple of words down about your recent stay. I am so pleased to note that your bedroom was nice and warm and you had a very quiet and peaceful nights sleep. I will look into the bathroom heating issue. Yes we are indeed looking into WiFi for all the bedrooms. Last week we added another router so all the meeting rooms on the first floor have WiFi whci now means a lot more bedrooms can pick up this signal.
Hopefully we will extend this as time goes on.
Once again many thanks for your views, we do appreciate this.
Kind regards.

393 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Alloa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We spent our honeymoon here and cannot fault the hotel and its staff, food was perfect, my husband is quite a fussy eater but they catered for him. We were given a free bottle of wine as it was our honeymoon and the staff were lovely. The rooms and overall hotel was spotless. We have now stayed a the hotel twice and hopefully will have the opportunity to stay again in the future. Only downside is the parking is not immediately at the front or back of the hotel, so if your not fully mobile for example it could be a wee bit impractical logging your luggage although im sure u can drop off and pick up at the front door. We used the multi storey round the corner from the hotel, it seemed the best and cheapest option

• Stayed April 2012
Many thanks for your very kind words, I am so pleased you have been so well looked after and the staff acknowledged your honeymoon and then provided a bottle of wine - these touches are so important. I am pleased to note you found the hotel spotless and the food perfect.
Once again many thanks for taking the time and yes we do hope to see you for a third time and many more times after that.
Lancashire England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed here 11th -15th March with a small group. The hotel is central to the city for shopping, close by
museums and the theatre and a few yards from the river. The area is flat, making for easier walking, especially for those with poor mobility. The food at the hotel - breakfast and dinner - was a buffet style with excellent choices. Always hot!! One member of our group needs a Gluten free diet and she said she had never had such good choice of food. Some rooms had a few steps to reach them and this proved a slight problem at times especially with luggage. The rooms were very clean and we were allocated several rooms suitable for people with some degree of disability. A room was allocated solely to our group for board games etc which was greatly appreciated. Entertainment on two evenings was very good and we joined in a sing-a-long on our last evening. All the staff were very helpful and cheerful. As the property fronts the road I do not think there was car parking on the premises but there may be nearby. As we were in on a coach, also provided by Strathmore Travel, it did not affect us. The coach was comfortable and the driver excellent. I would happily recommend this hotel and company to all.

Room Tip: Front rooms are a little noisy due to traffic. Some first floor rooms have a few steps to deal with...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Stirling
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

The hotel is a good one, as with all the other Strathmore hotels, but if you are paying by cash make sure you have a receipt as they seem to have a problem with this. I paid a cash deposit of £20 on booking personally at the hotel and was not given a receipt, which I didn't query as I assumed it would be recorded on the booking, Apparently it wasn't and I received a phone call at home stating it didn't look as if a deposit had been paid. I said it had, but apparently this was still not recorded and, on arrival for my one night £45 stay I again had it pointed out to me that I appeared not to have paid a deposit. A queue was behind me! Needless to say this somewhat took the shine off my visit to the Perth concert I was attending as I was far from happy. By the way, the last photo on the photo list was also the view from MY window!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for completing your comment card and subsequent review on Tripadvisor (I have also sent a reply in the post) in which I was most upset to read that there had been some form of issues with the administration of your booking.

I have looked into the booking and note that the original booking was taken on 13 December at 2.45pm by my colleague Lorraine at the front desk. I can not trace why a receipt was not produced for £20 although when my colleague called you she was under the impression from the telephone call that you may have had the receipt and would bring this on arrival.

For this reason a note was left with your booking information so the duty receptionist could further enquire about the £20.00 deposit. I am sorry if you felt there was a further issue and that the key was handed to you with out comment.

I am sorry you feel this has been “the worst experience of hospitality”, if there is one thing that fellow reviewers highlight is the very friendly and efficient staff we have at the hotel. When a complaint or a negative comment card arrives, which is very rare, I would have no hesitation to investigate the matter.

With reference to the view, as we a city centre hotel not all the rooms offer the best of views, but at least from the picture you can see that the back area is very neat and tidy.

We certainly do not wish and have no intention to have our guests leave the hotel with such bad feelings. The letter that I have sent out to you details for further visits.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to highlight the issues of your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed in this fantastic hotel many times over the last 12 years and each visit has been as good or better than the last! My most recent visit was for 1 night on Saturday 16th of March for my friends stag night. Arriving at the reception i was warmly welcomed & told that my room wasn't quite ready yet but it wouldn't be more than a half hour wait. The hotel was hosting a large wedding & the reception staff were rushed of there feet but still found time to ask me "how my journey was?" & other welcoming questions which i found lovely! My room (227) wasn't serviced by the lift but was only a 10-15 stair climb from the 1st floor to a wonderful large double room! Large comfy bed, powerful shower, plenty cupboard & wardrobe space & a telephone in the toilet!!! Great!!! The next morning was my favourite part! I LOVE the Sally's breakfast, It has to be te best breakfast i have ever had in all the hotels i have ever stayed in!!! To sum up it was another wonderful stay & I hope to return later in the year!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you very much for such a detailed yet complimentary review. I am so pleased that yet again you have enjoyed all aspects of your stay. We do try and constantly look at ways of improving the services and are pleased to mention that the Restaurant and Carvery is due to be refurbished at the end of April which will further improve the standards at the hotel.
I am please that you found the room and breakfast to be spot on too.
Once again many thanks for taking the time to say a few words, we really do appreciate the feedback.
We look forward to seeing you soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

Came here at the start of the month, the staff treated us like royalty and nothing was a bother. The outside of the hotel would not make you stop, but once you are at reception the staff are so welcoming. Food was very good. Breakfast would keep you going all day! The house keeping staff have the place gleeming, restaurant staff very attentive without being intrusive. This charming hotel is all you want in scottish hospitality and fits well in the town, everything is with in walking distance and they still have individual / independant shops that are well worth a visit.

Room Tip: My shower was over the bath, if you have problems request a room with a walk in shower, also the que...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SallyGM, General Manager at Salutation Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for dropping a few lines about your recent stay.....I am so pleased to read that you were treated by royalty, the food was good and the breakfast was so good. There are a lot of interesting shops in Perth and as we are right in the centre of the city, yes a perfect location indeed.
Once again many thanks for your kind words and we do look forward to seeing you again.
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

As a person who works away by myself a lot, it is often difficult to get single accommodation. In Perth I use the Salutation as you get a very fair price for an ensuite room. The hotel is not luxurious but it provides everything I need for a working visit. The rooms are very clean, the staff are extremely efficient and helpful and the buffet breakfast is very good. The hotel is old, has plenty history and the corridors can be a bit of a maze when finding your room but overall, it is very good value.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to put a few words about your recent stay, I am pleased to read that you found the single room to be good value for money. I am delighted you found the rooms clean, staff efficient and breakfast to be very good - these factors are so important and we do try to keep the standards as high as possible. We are an older hotel but we do try and refurbish as much as poss when and where we can.
Once again many thanks and we do look forward to seeing you soon.
Kind regards

Been to Salutation Hotel? Share your experiences!