“MANAGEMENT NEEDS TO TAKE NOTE OF BAD REVIEWS AND ACT QUICKLY!” 2 of 5 stars

The Station Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Leonard St., Perth PH2 8HE, Scotland   |
Ranked #16 of 16 Hotels in Perth
East Midalnds
“MANAGEMENT NEEDS TO TAKE NOTE OF BAD REVIEWS AND ACT QUICKLY!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I was also part of the party of over 200 people at a Gala Dinner organised as part of a rail tour.

First impressions of the room were good, as tables were laid beautifully, but the queue for the bar outside should have given us a clue as to how short staffed the hotel was. One small bar, one till and 2 members of staff for all of those people???

Our meal should have been served at 8p.m but we were still outside in the drinks queue for the next half an hour, despite being there at 7.15.

Though the food on our table was warm, the young waiters/waitresses had nobody to guide them and served half a table then moved onto another. This happened to us both with the starter and main course. I counted 5 staff serving all of those people, and some came out carrying just 2 bowls of soup!.

It was 10 to 11 before we got our main course and by this time many people had walked out, after being up at 4a.m for the steam locomotive hauled tour. This was such a shame as they missed the guest speakers from the railway who were most entertaining.

Next morning fared no better with staffing issues as irate residents offered to help cook the breakfast as the slow service almost made them miss their train home!

This hotel completely ruined what should have been a fabulous Gala Dinner to celebrate the 75th Anniversary tour for The Duchess of Sutherland steam locomotive.

Room Tip: If you have already booked a wedding/dinner/party here, check they have resolved their staffing issu...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

The 6th of September was supposed to be a Gala Dinner for 200 who had travelled across the UK to be there. Even one person from Australia. Two staff serving behind the one and only bar whilst a third learnt how to use the till! An half hour queue to be served. Little did we know this was to be advance warning for the dinner service. Cold food all round. The vegetarian options had been dragged from the 70's revolting veg soup, veggie haggis, then plain couscous stuffed red peppers. It was a good job the pudding was supposed to be cold!!! Where was the maître d'? where was the duty manager? probably in the Queens Hotel across the road where there were more staff on duty for breakfast than the Station Hotel had had between bar, kitchen and dining room for the gala dinner the night before. If this is Scottish hospitality then we would be better off without it

Room Tip: Stay in the queens hotel across the road, they understand service
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Attended a banquet as part of a tour. Many of us started at 4 AM and were tired by dinner time. Only one barman and a queue of hundreds of guests. Dinner started late (8 PM) but nothing served for about 45 minutes. Only 5 servers for a packed banquet room of 20 tables! Cock o'leakie soup was stone cold when served and not stirred - mine had only meat, others only the vegetables. The haggis, tatties and neeps was good - but cold - and another 45 minute wait. The main course was served after 10 PM - beef was dreadful - fatty, tasteless and stringy, with undercooked potatoes and veggies. The desert was long after 11 PM and unremarkable. Today I went for the carvery at my local pub - infinitely better service (six staff on duty) and food much better. Never again shall I go to the Station Hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Derby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We too were on the rail tour with a Gala Dinner in this hotel on 6th Sept 2013. We actually stuck it out until the end of the meal, out of respect for the guest speakers. Dessert was served at Midnight. The meal would have been fabulous had it been hot, and served at a reasonable interval between courses. The problem was a huge discrepancy between the number of staff available, and the number of staff needed. This was our retirement celebration, and the service was the only thing that spoiled the occasion. The same exhausted young people served breakfast in an area which was too small for the number of people in the party, and again there were not enough of them to cope with the workload. It ruined our trip.

Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Had lunch here although i had been told not to go but go over the road to another Hotel restaurant, i had but sat there for 20 minutes and there was no bar staff. So i wandered over to the station hotel and had a pleasant lunch of Fish and Chips and a cup of coffee. A bit of fun and banter with the bar man and that was it. fed and watered and on with my travels. Worth i call for lunch.
John Cavanagh 8/10 2013

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Grange Over Sands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Had lunch , soup and sandwich. It was ok,bread a little on the hard side. Charged different prices for our tea. Had to ask for some more hot water,as not enough for two cups each. Can never understand why some places don' t fill the teapot full of water. Always feel a pot of tea per person should be at least two cups each. Probably not go again. Ate outside which was quite nice on a hot afternoon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I came here as part of a rail tour to celebrate 75 years of a steam loco, but also my 10th wedding anniversary. The tour was fine. We arrived here and it was ok. The room we were given was a decent size, although furnished basically and some deep cleaning of blinds wouldn't have gone amiss. Part of this package was a 5 course "gala dinner". The menu sounded appetising and, to be frank, I wished I'd eaten the menu. There were 250 guests and clearly ths hotel can't cope with anything like this number. The soup was stone cold. I reported this to a member of the waiting staff who shrugged his shoulders and ignored me. However, I was just about to report it to someone else when a waitress came over and asked me what was wrong with the soup. I told her it was cold. She didn't look convinced, but gave me another bowl, which was equally as cold. I'd had lunch at 1.30pm and this was 8.30pm, so I'd eaten the bread roll on the table and asked for another. No one bought us any more. Luckily there was another on the table, so I ate that. I went to the bar for a packet of crisps and the barman asked me if there was a problem with the food, so I told him my experience. He apologised and insisted I have the crisps. A further hour passed and we were supposed to have a further 4 courses. I was starving hungry, so I left and on the way out the receptionist was informed of the issue. Again she apologised, but seem uninterested. No one was offering a practical solution. So, dressed up for an evening event, I find myself walking to Perth city centre and purchasing a bag of chips in order to have something hot to eat. What an absolute disgrace this was. I'm dreading breakfast as I can't imagine how poor it will be. Clearly this hotel cannot cope with large parties and takes money under false pretences as a gala meal this wasn't. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I wouldnt bother.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Station Hotel? Share your experiences!