“Wonderful Restaurant, lovely staff, brilliant food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 159 Restaurants in Perth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget, Entertaining clients, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Perth's only Authentic Indian Restaurant. Owned and run by Praveen Kumar and his wife Swarna Kumar, both born and brought up in small rural communities in south India. At Tabla we use fresh, farm grown spices by own family in India. Praveen has gained great wealth of Food and Restaurant management skills from The Gleneagles Hotel & Turnburry Hotel, where we workedover 6 years. Tabla is well presented restaurant with stone walls and open kitchen. You'll find cheerful and well attentive staff to exceed your dining expectations.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Restaurant, lovely staff, brilliant food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I've eaten in Tabla twice now, and both times the food and staff have been of very high quality. The nice touches like the staff asking about how you are, and if you live locally is really nice - it makes you feel very welcome.

The food is lovely, I really like spicy food - and their hot dishes taste medium to me - which is a good thing, as I know a lot of people can't access a lot of the menu in Indian restaurants - so this means you can :)

I've eaten in a lot of different Indian restaurants, including the winner of the best Curry house is Wales - but Tabla is by far the best.

The peshwari naans are something to behold, very different indeed - like a naan pancake :)

Well done chaps, we will be back soon!

Forfar, United Kingdom
“Nice restaurant and staff, average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Went to Tabla last night with the Mrs. We had the pre theatre menu @ £10.95.
I had heard and read so many good reports about this Indian restaurant that I had to give it a try.
A nice touch was as soon as we had chosen from the menu a jug of water, complimentary popadums and dips including a nice onion cachumber were brought to our table.
I had ordered the chicken pakora while Sandra ordered the vegetable somosa. Starters arrived in due course. I felt that the salad, mainly leaves was a bit tired and floppy, and that the cucumber had been around for a while. My chicken pakora's were ok, if a little dry but the dip was quite nice so happy enough there. However, Sandra's vegetable samosa's were of the type you can buy from any Halal grocer @ £5 for twenty. Decent enough samosa's but the term "authentic" always gives me the impression that everything would be cooked from scratch on the premises.
Sandra had ordered a chicken korma, and I a lamb bhuna. We also ordered sides of boiled rice, mushroom rice, keema naan and alloo gobi.
Sandra's korma was really nice, sweet, creamy and with a distinct coconut flavour, and nicely cooked chicken. Could not fault it. My lamb bhuna however was not so good. Seven or eight small chunks of nicely cooked lamb in a very large amount of curry gravy strongly flavoured with lemon. At 56 years of age I have had many many bhuna's in my time, it's supposed to be a dryish dish and would normally have onions and peppers, coriander garlic ginger etc but this was just meat in a watery lemon flavoured sauce. Allo gobi consisted of nicely cooked cauliflower and new potatoes again in that same lemon flavoured sauce. Someone needs to take that bottle of lemon juice away from the chef, it's not really ideal for the Scottish palate. The boiled basmati rice was fine, no complaints. Mushroom rice was ok but the mushrooms could have been fresher.
Keema naan was nice, very thin and buttery.

In summary, I would say that after reading all the amazing reviews on TA I expected the food to be better than it was. Perhaps it was because we were the first sit down customers of the day and it takes chef a while to get "warmed up". I would at some point give Tabla another try, but definitely not the early evening menu. I hope that they take heed about the salad and mushrooms needing to be fresh fresh fresh, and hide the lemon juice from the chef....

PS I read the review by Trevor R of Perth where he says, "cheap water filled meat" blah blah blah etc. Although I have been quite critical of this restaurant in some respects my wife and I thought that the quality of the meat was excellent.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
thirmalreddy, Owner at Tabla Authentic Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear Gordon & Sandra,
Thank you very much for taking time to write to me on TA.
Sorry to hear that you did not have enjoy lamb Bhuna & Vegetable samosa.
I will pass your feedback to our chef. I will personally supervise the Improvement.

Quantity of meat is little bit less in Our pre theatre menu witch reflect the price of £9.95, at the same time not sacrificing on the quality of the meat or spices. I am happy to hear, you liked other dishes and quality of meat.

Thank you once again to take time to travel 35 miles to see us.

I am sure i will see you again

kind regards
Praveen.
Perth, United Kingdom
“1st class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Loved the new decor, the food was amazing and the staff very friendly, wouldn't go to any other Indian Restrurant

falkirk
“Little gem in the heart of Perth”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We visited Tabla while on holiday with friends. The staff were very welcoming and accomodated four adults and five children without a problem. The decor was modern but relaxing and clean throughout. A varied menu with pre-theatre option also available. Our children were very well looked after and nothing was too much trouble. All meals were served hot and without waiting too long. The food was excellent with very authentic dishes. We would definately recommend this restaurant to others and would return again if in the area.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
thirmalreddy, Owner at Tabla Authentic Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Tabla Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write to us on TA.

I am Glad you and your kids enjoy Every your meal at Tabla.

Looking forward to see you soon.

Praveen
Owner
Ellon, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Recommended to me - now recommended by me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My friend in Perth was in Ireland when I called him to recommend an Indian restaurant. The food was wonderful, too much for me to finish! Service was courteous and friendly and my meal was very reasonably priced. Easy to recommend this restaurant to others, I rate it 5*****!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
thirmalreddy, Owner at Tabla Authentic Indian Restaurant, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Bill,

Thank you for taking time to write to us on TA. I am happy that we did exceeded you friends recommendation

I am Glad you enjoyed meal at Tabla.

Looking forward to see you soon when in in Perth.

Praveen