“Definitely in top 3 meals ever” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 170 restaurants in Perth
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tim & Anna Dover work together at the restaurant, Anna is in charge of table service and Tim exercises his skills as Head Chef in the kitchen, and in his words..."My wife and I opened the Roost Restaurant in the village of Kintillo near Bridge of Earn, just outside Perth, in the summer of 2008. Five years on the restaurant is firmly established in the area and we are known for our extensive use of Scottish ingredients, which I prepare in the classical French style that I have learnt in kitchens at home and abroad throughout my career.We are proud of the strong relationships we have developed with Scottish food and drink suppliers and always produce a locally sourced, sustainable and seasonal menu.Our dedication doesn't end in the kitchen as we enjoy fishing and foraging for our own ingredients - including wild garlic, alexanders and chanterelles - many of which appear on the menus throughout the year.But nothing is more sustainable than our new kitchen garden that features vegetables and herbs used in the restaurant. Throughout the summer months we are able to use our own supply of herbs, salads and vegetables such as potatoes, chard, baby carrots, beetroots, leeks, broad beans and purple sprouting broccoli while flowers are also grown for the restaurant."
Perth
“Definitely in top 3 meals ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

A very unexpected surprise and welcome addition to Perth's somewhat lacklustre restaurant scene - made all the more welcome by the fact that 99% of the city don't even know it exists (don't suppose that'll last long...)
Anna is the perfect hostess - a warm and friendly welcome. Tim is an amazing chef - choosing complex and subtle flavour combinations that I would not have thought of (and doing it well).
Went to the 5-course wine tasting dinner and fell in love with ham hock and foie gras terrine with pickled girolles with superb accompanying NZ riesling. Followed by a particularly delicate crab salad with tomato consomme and a very simple yet effective shaved & dried tomato slice. The 5-course dinner was accompanied by a specially selected wine for every course (with a tutored tasting), coffee and (if you were still hungry?!) home-made chocolates. Only misgiving was that this all took place on a Thursday evening and I had to drag myself to work the next day.
If you love good food, then give Anna and Tim's place a try - a 10 minute trip from Perth and very accessible from the motorway.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

96% Recommend
Scotland
“Secret gem - don't tell anyone!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2010

I just popped into this corner restaurant on my way back from a day out. It is only five minutes away from me - how could I have missed this hidden treasure? I decided against a starter on this occasion and selected the Guinea Fowl for my main. I really wanted to lick the plate, or at least dip my finger into the sauce which was orange, shiny, rich and lip smacking. The guinea fowl was tender, the lentils and the summer vegetables were all done to indivdual perfection. My glass of red wine, recommended by Anna, was a perfect companion. When it comes to desserts, once I have spotted chocolate on the menu, that's me with tunnel vision. However, I chose the Pear Tarte Tatin as I wanted to be more open minded. As the recent newspaper review said, the chef's pastry is divine. My macchiato coffee was strong with a foamy top, and presented with a hand made chocolate so I had my cocao hit too. The place was full of chatty couples and I feel lucky that I managed to get a table just as I was passing! No where within a 15 mile radius will you find food like this, certainly not in Perth. Think the next place would be the Michelin starred Andrew Fairlie's at Gleneagles. However, please keep this a secret as I may not be able to get a table the next time.

Perthshire
“Superb food and perfect relaxed service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

This restaurant is perfect for a dinner for two or a party of 8. Great food and reasonably priced wine. Friendly service which reflects that they care about their customers. You will not be dissappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Perth
“WineTasting Dinner Excellence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

Regular wine tasting dinners are a feature at the Roost. The recent April event exceeded even the others for both food and wine. The Roost is a gem.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New York
“Food At Its Best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2010

I love good food...especially when the chef knows how to blend the best local produce, fowl, fish, and beef into fine meals. My visit to Perth was enriched by a dinner at The Roost where I savored the plaice fillets with langoustines upon a bed of home-made vermicelli pasta. My spouse was won over by the butternut squash soup and braised pork cheeks that included a splendid mash with savoy cabbage. Glad we left room for dessert....we shared the warm chocolate fondant with white chocolate sorbet and poached rhubarb. Just the right balance of flavors that left us wishing there was one more bite.

Wine list was well priced and service most gracious. Hope my travels bring me back soon again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere