“Perfect, clean, family accommodation.” 5 of 5 stars

You added Gulabin Lodge Accomodation to your Saves list
Gulabin Lodge Accomodation
Spittal of Glenshee, Perth PH10 7QE, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Specialty Lodging in Perth
“Perfect, clean, family accommodation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

Ten mins drive from Glenshee which is excellent for skiers and boarders. Gulabin offer equipment hire there and lessons at Glenshee. Everyone was super friendly. I put my daughter into a 2 hour private ski lesson. She was on the mountain with me later that afternoon. Our room was on 2 levels with 2 sets of bunks, drawers and a sink. Very basic but very clean. My daughter was astounded -loved it! Lovely families and respectful younger groups there. Shared kitchen facility, fully equipped and also clean. Everyone worked round each other or took turns to make food. Saved a lot of money by taking our own food. Shared large dining room. Bathroom is shared but has 3 private separate shower cubicles. Also one wc down the hallway. Large room to put equipment in, muddy boots, wet boards etc. 2 lounges with comfy sofas and roaring fires. No tv was a bonus but if that bothers you take a portable device. Some children there had a dvd player but ended up ditching it for the card and board games that were available. Cannot say anything bad about this place. Had a fab time and wouldnt stay anywhere else if I was up that way again.

• Stayed February 2013
GulabinLodge, Owner at Gulabin Lodge Accomodation, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thankyou very much for your comments, glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Look forward to hopefully seeing you in the future. Darren

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Edinburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It is easy to see why this is not everyone's 'cup of tea', however the photos on the web-page give a really good idea as to what to expect, and given its location there is not going to be much action/apres-ski!
I have just returned from a 2 day skiing trip with my son, and we both thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Yes the room would be small for a family of 4 but there were 2 of us and I wasn't looking to spend much time in it. As the heading mentions this is a hostel and therefore you will not get the services expected from a hotel however the basics were done well - rooms/bathroom were clean, the 2 front rooms are cosy with great log fires and I found the owners to be friendly and accommodating. I could imagine some people might be put off by sharing facilities with other parties, however if that is the case this type of accommodation would not suit.
The location is great being in the middle of the countryside and the closest accommodation to the Glenshee ski area.
Over all very good for the price and the hostel facilities.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I heard about the lodge through an itison deal. £67 for two nights including ski/snowboard hire sounded like a great deal. However, bear in mind all the additional costs you will have to spend. If you're not driving there then you'll not only have to factor in the traintickets but also a 45 minute taxi drive from the station to the lodge. Furthermore, ski and snowboard hire won't include the gear.

That aside, since this was a special occasion to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday, I had arranged my booking about three weeks in advance. I struggled to get in contact with anyone as one of the phone numbers listed doesn't work. When I finally got a hold of the owner/manager (Darren) and he sent me an email confirming the date, I replied with another email back ensuring he booked a double bed room. He never replied in the next 2-3 weeks.

A few days before the confirmed date, I sent another email asking about the double bed room again and the onsite facilities etc. I also called after, figuring that he might not see it. I confirmed the date and the double bed room (for the 3rd time now) and asked some questions about the area (he answered me but didn't sound so happy to help to be honest).

Finally when we arrived, there was no one to greet us as there is no reception (which i don't really mind since there was a note and a key ready for us). So we go into our room, and there is no double bed, just two bunk-beds! even though such a double bed room was said to be available and i had asked for one specifically 3 times! There was no one around to complain to either or check if we were pleased with everything and even when we saw the owner later on, he didn't ask how we were getting on or if everything was ok. I know it's a lodge, not a swanky hotel but it's common practice to make an effort and speak to your costumers at least once. I've gotten better service in simple hostels.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I had booked snowboard hire for the 2nd day and a couple hours on the 3rd day but we would be leaving in the early afternoon that day. On the second day (even though it was listed on the schedule they have in the hallway that I had indeed requested snowboard hire for that day) the snowboard hire cabin was closed. There was no explanation and no one had gotten in touch with me about it. When I called the owner, he didn't pick up, he didn't reply to my text either and when my boyfriend called him he hung up on him. We had no means of getting to the slope (which btw is a 15 min drive from the lodge but a 2 hour walk) so we decided to walk it in the freezing temperatures (thinking it couldn't be very far) as we had no choice anyway. Luckily half way through someone nice stopped on the road and offered to take us there.

When we finally got there (at the skischool he owns at the slopes), and I saw him and explained politely that I had arranged for snowboard hire today and how we struggled to get up here, he said my hire wasn't for today but tomorrow (as he thought we had only arrived that day). I said no, we had arrived yesterday and the hire was today and that I had already told him this several (3+) times. He looked in his book, looked confused and realized he was wrong but didn't apologize or admit he had made a mistake! He said he could drive us back to the lodge when he was finished in 3.5 hours if we stuck around. but that we couldn't get our snowboard hire as the equipment was back at the lodge and that we couldn't get our hire until tomorrow morning. So we had to wait for 3 hours before we met some other people staying nearby that could drive us back. Needless to say we were fuming as this was our only full day to snowboard as we were leaving the next day. He ruined our snowboarding fun (the whole point of the trip) through his own disorganization and unwillingness to correct the situation when he became aware of it. On top of that we had gone through the effort of getting to the slopes and knocking about there bored for nothing. It made us waste a whole day (our only whole day).

The next day we were up bright and early with our luggage packed and ready to take with us there so we could still fit in some snowboarding after all. He didn't arrive till after 9, even though he said we would be leaving the lodge (he would drive us) at 820. I had to call my taxi driver and say to pick us up at the slope instead later on (to take us to the train station ) and that ended up costing me more money (all because of the owner). It was a very very windy and icy day and not ideal for snowboarding so once we did start, we only were out there for an hour before we had enough.

I was very very disappointed that the owner/ manager (Darren) was so casual and unorganized about everything and ruined a special occasion. I had the feeling that because it was a prepaid trip he didn't care anymore about good service. I was fed up and happy to leave the place on the final day.

I will say however, that the surroundings and views were beautiful and it was a great lodge that had 2 nice living rooms, 2 bathrooms and a big fully equipped kitchen. There are however no shops or restaurants nearby at all, and 95% of the time I had no phone reception (unless I walked to the bridge nearby, you could get reception there)

So overall, I wouldn't recommend you to stay at the gulabin lodge, there are a few lodges/ hotels nearby which are better and probably care more about their customers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments. Not sure where to start with repsonding but when i asked your boyfriend on the last day if he had enjoyed the stay he replied " It was awesome man!!" therefore, i was a little surprised to read your story. There are many facts you have mentioned that are incorrect and it is a shame you admitted to myself you managed to get away without buying any lift tickets for the 2 days! Unfortunately, the issues of taxis, shops, public transport etc etc are completely outwith our control but if you had taken the time to read the information on our website you would have realised the lodge is located in the mountains. We are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, maybe a city stay would be better for you next time.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the lodge which we thought was fantastic.

Upon arrival we were met with a friendly and helpful member of staff who talked us through where everything was and how we could get in touch of we had any questions. The relaxed approach to checking in and out is a refreshing change to the restrictive and hurried nature of the city.

The room we had was really great, lovely and clean, everything fresh and tidy. The unused bunks great for storing all our snowboarding gear. Our room had it's own individual thermostat so we were never cold. The double bed upstairs was a novelty and great fun. The only thing from the whole stay that I would say could be improved was the mattress, it wasn't the best but was still ok.

The relaxed feel of the stay was complimented by the attitude towards security and inclusiveness from staff and other guests alike. All very friendly and helpful.

The shared living rooms had fires stoked and ready to light with plenty of chopped logs to keep you roasting hot all night. Each living room was charming and had plenty of seating for all guests to lounge in comfort.

The kitchen facilities were clean and well stocked with enough pots, pans, plates, cutlery and everything you would need to prepare a homemade meal. Honesty again shines through in the shared cupboard and fridge space, but if you have ever had a housemate or travelled this should be a standard that you can take in your stride.

The communal bathrooms are spotless and have plenty of soaps, more importantly the showers are of high quality and there is plenty of hot water. The clear instructions on their use means you won't be caught short wondering how to get the hot water you so desire.

After reading some of the other reviews listed above I feel some of the concerns should be addressed by another customer.

When planning a trip to the Scottish highlands, people have to be realistic and not expect to have Richard Branson provided super fast broadband Internet, top quality mobile signal, or even radio for that matter. Goodness, that might actually mean your family will actually have to talk to each other! What else is a holiday for!

This area of Scotland prides itself on not having to lock cars, houses and nail everything down. The rooms now have locks that you can make use of, but I would urge all guests to embrace the honesty, integrity and charm of the lodge.

When booking a place to stay for a holiday I would have thought location would be foremost in a persons mind. This lodge is a 15 minute drive from the Glenshee Ski Range so is ideal to make the most of the slopes then have a quick drive back before getting a hot shower then hunkering down infront of a blazing fire. It is not reasonable to book accommodation then complain that the closest town is 20 miles drive away. A lodge in the country is exactly what this is, get outside and enjoy the lovely air, hills and silence, the peace and quiet at night is amazing.

All in all the relaxed nature of Gulabin Lodge is for me the best feature. If you like a good honest stay, with peace and quiet to enjoy your friends and family in a beautiful setting then this is the place for you. The rooms are clean and tidy, staff are friendly and it's decent value for money.

Honest Scottish stay in a lovely surrounding. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013
Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Blackrock Mountaineering Club have booked this lodge for a weekend in january 5 years on the trot, Darren and the team make us more than welcome, really spacious,cosy lodge, love the log fires the large dining room is a bonus, have a Burns supper for about 30 folk every year, push the tables back and have a ceilidh ! if you need to hire outdoor equipment and guides for mountaineering, ski-ing etc... everything can easily be arranged, looking forward to going next january as always !

Room Tip: plenty choice for couples, family or group rooms !
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks to Blackrock Mountaineering Club for your comments. Hopefully see you back in 2014. All the best.
Darren
Malton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Gulabin lodge for one night in August. We are motorbikers and needed off road parking, which wasn't a problem here as there is a little car park at the foot of the hill that the lodge is preched on. There was no one available to check us in, but there was a note which said to simply go to your room, so we did. Our room had 3 single and 1 double beds, the double was upa narrow ladder, loft style, and for one night it was fun climbing up and down, like kids in a tree house! The room and bedding etc were spotlessly clean and fresh. As the 3 single beds were unused we had plenty of room for all our bike gear but how anyone manages with 5 people in that room I'll never know, the floor space is tiny. Kitchen/bathroom areas etc were all clean and tidy. 2 communal living rooms are available, both very comfy with sofas, books and games. On the night we stayed a group of people had taken over one of the rooms and the door was firmly closed so we felt we couldn't go in there. On principal I ventured in, to be tutted at for disturbing their kids who were leaning against the door I went through! (charming) This is a fault of the other guests tho, not of the lodge itself. We did meet the lodge owner, he came and had a little chat to us and offered us breakfast at £4 a head which we took up. Sadly the breakfast was a waste of money really. The bread left out in a basket for us was very mouldy and no one was around to get fresh stuff so I ended up rifling through cupboards in the kitchen looking for supplies - very disappointing. Cheap dregs of runny jam and a blob of margarine accompanies the mouldy toast, and there was a selection of cereals and oj. I think we'd have been better off going to the pub just down the road for a decent breckie for a couple of pounds more. The other thing that really narked us was that we didnt have a key for our room. I dont know if this is the norm or we were simply overlooked. I wasnt happy leaving valuables in our room when we werent there. One child belonging to the room-hogging family told us she'd been in our room when we went out! If something had gone missing, then what? It was a real shame about the breakfast and the key issue as this really is a lovely little place. We would possibly use it again for a single night when passing through but would not take up the breakfast offer. We paid £58 for a double bed with a poor breakfast, most of the bed and breakfasts we stayed at in our week tour cost £60 but included en suites, cooked breakfast, hair dryers, towels etc so really it seemed over priced for what you got.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GulabinLodge, Owner at Gulabin Lodge Accomodation, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Firstly many thanks for your review. I am glad you partly enjoyed your stay at the lodge and i am sorry to hear of the issues you have mentioned. On occassions we do have to leave the lodge to collect children from school etc, if this is the case we do leave a note for our guests explaining the situation and where the room is etc. We then always introduce ourselves to any guests on our return. I can only appologise for over looking the key situation, and i fully appreciate your concerns regarding other guests. it was shame you did not mention you did not have a key when i first introduced myself as i could have easily rectified the problem. Regarding other guests using the lounges etc, there are two lounges both with log fires and we always encourage guests to allow for others and not hog the rooms etc. Regarding the breakfast; i personally set the breakfast myself and i sincerely appologise if there was mouldy bread in the basket. The bread was definitely good when laid out the night before but again not acceptable. As for the remainder of the breakfast and the cost; we provide toast, cereal, juice, yoghurt and tea or coffee and believe at £4pp this is good value. For the large groups we do provide a full cooked breakfast at £6.50pp but as we do not run a full time kitchen the light breakfast option is always on offer. Regarding the overall cost,our prices are set according to our facilities and i am sorry to hear you considered it to be expensive. The £50 for a private double room on a self catering basis does give you the option to use a very well equipped kitchen for cooking any evening meals and breakfast if you wish. Obviously if you are travelling you may not choose to use this facility but many do. Once again, many thanks for highlighting the issues you have raised and i sincerely hope it does not deter you from visiting again in the future.
Truro, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed here at short notice on a long distance cycle ride. It was the best hostel we visited and the open log fire was the icing on the cake. The owners we most helpful and the accommodation spotless.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hope the remainder of your cycle ride went well and look forward to seeing you again in the future. Many thanks for your review.

Been to Gulabin Lodge Accomodation? Share your experiences!