“Gone downhill?” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Elgin, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We used to enjoy coming here for a meal in the restaurant and the mezzo, but seem to have gone badly downhill recently. Pity, as the recentish refurbishment is lovely!

On the last 3 occasions we have been very dissapointed. The foods been either very bland or very over cooked or very greasy.

Service is very slow even when there not busy, my partner even had to go and ask for a soup spoon for her soup the last time we were here.

Very over priced for the standard, we wont be returning for a while.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I recently had the misfortune of spending the evening of my wedding in The Mezzo at The Mansefield Hotel, and it was a real disappointment. After having a wonderful, intimate, family wedding ceremony and stunning reception meal at The Knockomie Hotel in Forres, we had chosen to treat our group of 14 guests to an evening of champagne & cocktails at The Mezzo, as an extra celebration for our special day. This had been booked well in advance and the staff were well aware of our expectations for the evening. The service on arrival at the Mezzo was absolutely terrible. We were put into a side-room and ignored for quite some time before we managed to order our drinks, which took 45 minutes to arrive. Some of the drinks had to be returned as they were not mixed correctly and most of the evening was spent with a lot of our guests not even having a drink in front of them. My husband and I were very embarrassed at the poor service, when we had been expecting our guests to be enjoying a really fun evening. We chose The Mezzo specifically, as we had been assured special cocktails to celebrate our big day when we phoned to book. Yes, we got champagne and some cocktails, but the service was dreadful and we were not made to feel special in any way. A wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime experience and we expected to be made a fuss of. We didn’t even get a “congratulations!” After having been treated so wonderfully at The Knockomie Hotel all day, the attitude of the staff at the Mezzo really paled in comparison. We really regret paying to transport our guests to Elgin for such a negative and underwhelming experience. My husband has since written a letter of complaint to The Mansefield Hotel about our experience, to which he received a very rude, condescending and abrupt response, and his complaint was returned without being correctly lodged or dealt with. VERY unprofessional to say the least! Do not plan any celebrations at The Mezzo – you will not get any special treatment at all; just a very rude, disinterested and poor service!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

When I arrived at the Mansefield I was greeted by the loveliest receptionist who checked me in promptly and asked if I wanted a drink for when I came back down to the bar as I was meeting colleagues. My room was lovely and roomy and also very clean!
I ate with colleagues in the bar and the food was lovely too and generous portions! Breakfast was very nice.
Would recommend this hotel for a stay in Elgin.

• Stayed September 2012
Laugharne, Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here with business, its a nice hotel, just a short walk from the centre of town, in a nice area, easy to find and get on the road from.

I have to say I had one of the nicest scrabbled eggs and smoked salmon breakfast here, the only problem is that I only had it on the second day of my stay after seeing another guest order it, I have to say that this is a top recommendation!!!

The hotel was a good standard, with an adequate if not large single room. The desk was a little too small to work on effectively, but this was not too much of a problem, and the staff did say that I could move to a double for my second night (I didn't so that says enough!)

I am sure that all would be happy here (especially after breakfast!), although it is not the cheapest!

Room Tip: If you need to work, go for a double room for a larger desk
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We had a lovely weekend at the Mansfield hotel the staff were amazing the rooms were fab food was really good and the service was fab it was a joy staying there for the weekend it was also very wheelchair friendly my husband managed without any trouble

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Tullamore, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

We were in Scotland for a 1 night stay and visit to the Glenfiddich Distillery in nearby Dufftown.
The room was spotlessly clean, modern with a large en suite.
The owner was particularly friendly and happy to spend time talking to us about Whisky.
The Meal we had that evening was delicious (I chose Smoked Salmon and Beef).

I would most definitely stay here during any future visits to this area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dufftown, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

Why this place is only a 4 star hotel I have no idea! I stayed at the hotel a couple of times and thought nothing but good came of it. I've read reviews about the owner. He is one of the best guys I have met. He did everything he could to help us! We thought so highly of the hotel we decided to get married there. And our wedding day was exceptional on the hotel side. The owner was with us all day and made sure everything ran smoothly. If something happened he made sure it didn't interrupt us he was amazing. I will definately go back and always send visiting friends to the hotel. The food is lovely. In the mezzo and main restaurant. My only complaint....£4.20 a pint!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to The Mansefield Hotel? Share your experiences!