“Pleasant Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Aberdeen
“Pleasant Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night DBB (long story but we had booked at another Crerar Hotel were not happy with it and transferred to the Eight Acres for our second night stay).
The hotel does not look much from the outside but has a nice modern bar / lounge / dining room area with pretty gardens. Receptionist was also very pleasant.
The room was a decent size and clean. There is a swimming pool / leisure club which were also fine enough.
The evening meal included in our rate was very nice as was the cooked breakfast.
Wish we had stayed here both nights of our weekend break as it was quite a relaxing stay.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
gm_eightacres, D Macleod Hotel Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, June 23, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us , sorry we had to be forced onto yourselves but their loss is our gain. I'm glad you enjoyed all our hotel facilities and maybe next time you'll book direcly with ourselves and enjoy your break even more.Thank you for all your kind comments and hope you'll return to the Eight Acres very soon.

D Macleod

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Kilbarchan, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2009

Unfortunately we didn't manage to stay here because there was a problem with our booking. We had booked a deal with Superbreaks but the hotel hadn't received our booking and was completely full when we arrived. They checked for no-shows to their other rooms but they had absolutely nothing left. We arrived after 6pm complete with puppy and had arranged to meet my 85 year old mother for dinner in the hotel at 6.45pm. The hotel could quite easily have said that as we had booked with Superbreaks it was our problem and we should sort it out with them but quite the opposite. They did everything they could to make us and the puppy comfortable while they phoned around Elgin and organised another hotel. They also sorted out payment with the other hotel. You get so used to terrible service that you just accept it these days. What a lovely surprise to find a hotel with staff that go the extra mile to help you, even though it's not their problem. 10/10 to the Eight acres staff. We weren't able to stay this time, but we will book direct with the hotel next time and won't go anywhere else in Elgin.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your very kind comments I'm very sorry we couldn't accomodate you on the Saturday just past but was happy to see that the staff found alternative accommodation close by. Next time your coming to the area please don't hesitate to call the hotel directly so we can make sure your booking is confirmed. Once again thank you for your kind comments.

Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2009

If I'd been passing this hotel looking for somewhere to stay for a night I would have kept driving. It's not the most attactive building, the very opposite in fact and the "H" of "Hotel" that was on the wall was hanging off at a quirky angle.
However, once inside it was much nicer. Friendly, helpful staff, comfortable, clean and more sophisticated than the exterior. Conference room facilities were satisfactory although the room was slightly scruffy round the edges.
Food was excellent. Rest was satisfactory.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. Yes I agree the exterior does not look the most appealing but good news were starting work on the exterior very shortly, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us the hotel is like day and night inside and out and thank you for all your kind comments look forward to welcoming you back.

Stranraer, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for two nights last weekend and I have to say that it has drastically improved since my last stay in 2003.
Arrived on Friday and got a very cheerful welcome. We had booked online and got better rates than the negotiated rates that our group leader had managed to secure so we were very happy. The only problem at check in was one of our party had a room at the top of the stairs and me and my friend were in the farthest possible room. A quick trip to reception and this was sorted out and we were moved a lot closer.
Since my last stay, the public areas have been upgraded yet again and are very comfortable, and the woodchip has been removed from the bedroom walls and all are a lot more modern. It is the little touches that make all the difference tho and I feel that a couple of table lamps and an uptodate alarm clock and tv in the rooms would extremely improve them. Peeling paintwork and tiles in bathrooms could do with a little work being done on them also.

On the first morning we were in for breakfast starting at 8am although no food apart from toast appeared until 8.10 - it is a buffet breakfast and despite being there when it was brought out I found that it was all cold and the fried eggs weren't properly cooked. At least the following morning they were cooked at 9.30 if still cold.

The staff were excellent and even on a night out recognised us and came over to say hello - we felt ignorant as we didnt recognise them!

The leisure centre has also improved with a seemingly state of the art gym, and the pool area. Saunas are separate with the ladies being in the changing rooms. The pool was a little chilly and the colours on the walls could do with being toned down a bit but apart from that it was all fine!

One word of warning about this hotel though. There does not appear to be any access to the bedrooms for wheelchairs users unless I missed something, and the bar and dining areas are also up a flight of 6 steps. There is a stair lift however one arm does not move which meant some of our party were not able to access it and they had to take cars around to the rear door (fire exit) of the function room to gain access to this upper level. Oh - the drink is not exactly cheap and don't ask for cocktails as per the menu as the staff either don't know how to make them or they don't have all the ingredients!

I had reservations about staying at this hotel after the last time but now I would not hesitate to try it again in the future and may even recommend it to friends!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your latest stay with us at the Eight Acres, I'm glad you approve of our refurbishment and my apologies that our breakfast buffet was cold as we should be table service as we don't have the right equipment for that type of breakfast style. The hotel went under the knife early 2008 with the exterior the next stage. Thank you for all your kind comments and I appreciate you giving your time to review us.

West Lothian
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We spent 2 nights in this hotel and would say that it is hard to fault. The welcome was warm and friendly, the room was fresh and clean and all of the staff were very helpful and efficient. The food is worth an extra mention, as it was served fresh, hot and was well presented. The table d'hote menu offered plenty of choice and variety and the Thai fish curry was exceptional. The polite and friendly restaurant staff made it a very enjoyable experience. Even a billing error was corrected without hesitation the day after I left. The GM here should be very proud of his staff and I will return as soon as possible for another visit.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
gm_eightacres, D Macleod Hotel Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, May 13, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club. I see from your stay that you had a great stay with us and enjoyed your break. Look forward to welcoming you back to Elgin and the Eight Acres.

U.K.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

The 2 reviews below must have been written by professional complainers as this is an excellent hotel. Very welcoming and helpful receptionists, delightful restaurant staff---my favourite server trying to kid on that he was only 37 years of age :-) The food was super and everyone in the hotel went out of their way to make sure that guests were comfortable.
I will be back!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of your stay with us. Your comments are truely welcome i'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and yes he is 37 but he is also young at heart and enjoys his work which is good to see. Thank you very much for your kind words very welcome "haste ye back"

Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

Stayed here for one night for a family reception and would never do so again, the whole place is outdated and shabby, scuff marks on walls etc and the tiredness of the decor suggests a lack of investment for some time, the rooms must be the smallest I have seen in a country hotel based hotel, no bigger than a large garden shed really and the aluminium type windows are from the sixties or seventies.
As for the food? it is awful with service to match, almost an hours wait for our main courses and it arrives with minimal veg, but the real deal is with the breakfast which defies description! everything was lukewarm at best with reheated beans but the bacon was something else as I received one piece with the top missing and when I remarked on it my daughter showed me that she had my missing piece and no more, a request for tomato sauce and we were told that they had none plus my wife's scrambled eggs were pale and watery and so on and on.
So all in all a disaster and I don't think it was a one off, I am totally surprised by some of the earlier reviews as I travel the world and stay in all types of hotels on business and I can tell what the standard is even on a one nighter and this hotel comes bottom of the list so far and that includes central rural China and Libya.
Other than that the staff were very friendly and helpful but then again they didn't seem to fing the long waiting tome for food unusual.
So if you are thinking of staying at Elgin avoid this one.
Apologies to the staff for being so blunt but I'm afraid your hotel deserves it.
And please! no management responses as nothing you could say could change my mind.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us only sorry we didn't deliver what we promise to.
We are a 3 star hotel which was refurbished June last year all be it the whole hotel was not done at the same time our single rooms and corridors are still to be addressed which is ongoing as with any hotel. We have being ongoing with our staff training to improve our customers service experience and can only apologise that we didn't get it correct during your stay. Thank you for reviewing your stay with us.

D Macleod

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!