“Poor” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Elgin
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Hotel looks very tacky from the outside, not like the photograph above. Put in a room with steamed up double glazing which was at the entrance to a corridor and overlooking the Hotel front entrance. After a 250 mile drive and a busy day I needed to rest, no such luck. The noise from the corridor door outside my room, the movement of people and chatter coupled with taxis pulling up outside etc. meant a limited nights sleep. I had asked to be moved earlier but told "we're full up". So I overslept slightly and missed breakfast (9am finish). On booking out the receptionist said there was nothing extra to pay. Fortunately I had the presence of mind to ask to see the bill instead of rushing off, I have a limit of £25 for food & drink and I know I went over that the night before. On seeing the bill my company had been charged for 4 beers (over £14.00) but I had paid cash at the bar for 2 of them! That's £7.20 into somebody's pocket when they cash up. I then paid the receptionist for the 2 beers I had with my meal the night before and made sure she refunded my company's money. If I hadn't checked the bill my company would have I asked me to pay back anything over £25, the cost of the beers included, that would mean I'd pay for them twice. I wonder why the Hotel ignored my company's instructions on my spending limit? The only good point was the food which was faultless, but I'll never stay at the eight acres again. I had originally asked to be put in the Premier Inn, had my company done that in the first place it would have put a completely different spin on my trip to Elgin. Next time?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Our apologies that there were discrepancies with your bill on departure, we have two new members of staff on the reception team and in a very busy hotel there can occassionally be human error. Our building is in a 70's style, however it has been extensively refurbished internally, all photos are accurate. When the hotel is fully booked, it is not possible to move guests, however had you requested a quiet room prior to arrival we would have happily accommodated this.
Regards
Carolyn Robertson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

A late booking and was in room 50 which is lovely: more in keeping with the vest of the hotel.
I didn't have dinner as east eying out Elgin's newest and higjly pipular culinary establishment KFC!
Had a great breakfast but would encourage all visitors to request mushrooms at breakfast
Although not on the menu, they sure should be as it would appear to be one of the chef's specialities , going by the waitresses reaction when asked ;-)

I will be back to 8 acres and will try the gym!

• Stayed June 2013
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Many thanks for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Another visit to Elgin and late booking at 8 Acres
Room 50 is a lovely room and more in keeping with what you expect when entering this hotel
I didn't have dinner as was trying out Elgin's newest and highly popular culinary establishment KFC!
Breakfast was delicious.
Although not on the menu, i would encourage every one to ask for mushrooms at breakfast, as they are to die for. Must be the chefs specialty going by the waitresses reaction when I asked for them.
Def be back at 8 acres

• Stayed June 2013
Many thanks for your review, we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I have passed on your comments to our team and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Hitchin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Could not fault the staff very helpful and friendly that's where it stops.
It should be called Eighties Acres its a concrete block if you own a JCB do the owner a favour and nock it down. Room could do with a good clean, next room had a dog in there nice touch, hate to think what's been sleeping in my bed. I would give this one a miss,

• Stayed June 2013
Our apologies if you felt your room was not up to standard, it is very rare we would receive such comments. The hotel does allow dogs but we charge to allow industrial cleaning following their departure. Our hotel is a 70's style building but has been extensively refurbished internally to great compliment.
Regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We recently visited Eight Acres for a two night break on the dinner, bed and breakfast deal. We had a fantastic time. The hotel itself does not look very nice from the outside but do not let that put you off! It is very clean and fresh looking inside. We found all the staff to be really friendly and very helpful. Our room was a good size, spotlessly clean with a good shower . We used the swimming pool and spa facilities during our stay which were pretty good. We both thoroughly enjoyed dinner on the first night so much that we changed our plans and ate at the hotel restaurant on our second night too. The breakfast was great with a good choice of foods. Overall I think it was very good value for money. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Many thanks for your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. I will ensure your comments are passed on to the team here, and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Blairgowrie, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Booked at last minute and for a single room at a very good price. Room was a bit small and overlooked a flat roof. Must be same room as in early comment in May. Felt a bit like a cell but for the money for one night was acceptable. Wasn't happy about open window beside a flat roof so did not leave anything in view on table. Very pleased with the menu in the restaurant and the meal was good. Breakfast was very quick which is always handy. Would stay again. Did to try the spa.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
gm_eightacres, General Manager at Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Many thanks for your review, our single rooms are small but as you concur reasonably priced and do include use of our extensive leisure facilities. They are comfortable for a one night stay. We look forward to you staying at the hotel again in the future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

went here for a meal and would not recommend.. not good value for money which is a shame because it is a nice restaurant and very nice and helpfull staff. I was very much looking forward to my meal and was disappointed afterwards, would not go back here.

Many thanks for your review, I am sorry you were disappointed by your dining experience at Eight Acres Hotel. Please contact me directly on gm.eightacres@crerarhotels..com and advise your specific complaints with regards to your meal so that I may go over with the team and rectify as necessary. I look forward to hearing from you.
Carolyn Robertson

Been to Eight Acres Hotel & Leisure Club? Share your experiences!