“One night in Nairn” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Nairn
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“One night in Nairn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I was booked in at the Braeval by my company as I had work in Nairn and did not wish to stay in Inverness. I was welcomed and shown to the 2nd floor family suite (2 bedrooms & a shower room with WC) - it was explained to me that there were keys to the whole area and room 9 was unoccupied so I had the suite to myself - there was a decent selection of tea/coffee/hot chocolate and shower gel/shampoo.
I had had quite a long day and I fell asleep and missed meal times - however next morning I was welcomed for breakfast which provided all of the usual options of fruit juice and cereals, then full Scottish breakfast etc.
I was more than happy with the Braeval - thank you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
MHMHolding, Owner at Braeval Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. It's a pity you didn't get a chance to dine in our restaurant, but hopefully you will next time. I'm particularly grateful for your comments about the Family Suite. I hope this helps put into perspective the negative feedback in the review entitled "not happy" from November 2012. So, thank you very much for this.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

After a cold 30 mile bike ride, the Bandstand Restuarant was a perfect venue for a Sunday roast accompanied by excellent "Rogue Wave" IPA from Cromarty brewery.
Great food, good service, superb value.
This place deserves its many awards.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
MHMHolding, Owner at Braeval Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
I'm thrilled to hear that our restaurant is worth a 30 mile bike ride in the winter! If you feel like exerting yourself again - watch out for our New Sunday Carvery which will be starting soon. Thank you for your comments.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed earlier this year, felt like we had the place to ourselves, it was lovely! The staff are incredibly helpful, the hotel comfortable and the area is outstanding. But it was the incredible food that really set it apart! Probably the best hotel breakfast Iv had.
Cant wait to get back!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
MHMHolding, Owner at Braeval Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you for giving your feedback. It means a lot to us and to our staff. I hope you get the chance to return to the Braeval again soon.
Scottish Borders
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We booked the hotel a month in advance. When we arrived we were shown to a room on the top floor in the loft, past bits of bed furniture in the corridor. the room was freezing, tiny and had a shared bathroom. I asked if we could have an early breakfast as we had an early flight the next morning and was told I could have a continental breakfast on left on a tray outside your room. No thanks! They say in the advert that you can request an early breakfast but they don't say you will get one.
I then asked wether or not I had to book for dinner. The restaurant was closed for refurbishment but I could eat in the bar area if a table was available. I didn't fancy that either.
Parking is a bit risky as the road is very narrow so I had parked five minutes walk away.
We asked for our money back as I would rather sleep in the car if necessary.
The manager couldn't be bothered to speak to us but authorised the re imbursment in cash even though I had just paid five minutes earlier with a credit card. What I thought was funny was the explaination that we recieved when we said the room we was given was not ensuite, they said it was as there was no occupants in the next room. tell that to the staff when the door slams and your shut out of your room in the middle of the night.
Booked into the Westerlea Hotel just up the road , bliss.

Room Tip: another Hotel
MHMHolding, Owner at Braeval Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I cannot understand what generated this grossly unfair review which contains many inaccuracies, but I will attempt to provide as balanced and fair a response as possible.
On arrival, the guests were shown to the Family Suite located on the second floor (not in an "attic"). The Family Suite comprises a twin room, a single room and a shower room all located together behind a private lockable door. The guests were informed that they had been allocated the sole use of the entire family suite (which obviously included sole use of the bathroom). The guest's keyring contained a full set of keys - a key to the outer door of the suite, a key for each bedroom door within the suite plus a key to the outer hotel door. Bedroom doors do not lock automatically behind you, they have to be locked with a key so it would be impossible to be "locked out in the middle of the night" as claimed. The guests arrived prior to check in so the central heating was not yet on, but an electric fan heater was in the room which they could have used if desired. The "bits of bed furniture" in the corridor was a brand new headboard which had been delivered that day and was awaiting fitting to the bed in the adjacent bedroom. As stated on our details, breakfast is served 8am to 9.30am but we often provide cooked breakfast from 7.30 am on request. We offer a continental breakfast delivered to the room or a packed lunch to take away if guests want breakfast earlier than that - a perfectly acceptable alternative common to most hotels. As our restaurant was being renovated, restaurant meals were available in our extremely popular and comfortable, award-winning "Highland Pub of the Year" Lounge Bar. (As the guests had not booked on a dinner, B&B basis, we had no obligation to provide dinner in the restaurant anyway). We clearly state that we do not have private parking. On street parking is free and is considered satisfactory by all the residents in the street and normally by our other hotel guests. Finally, when the guests complained to staff that they did not like their room, the staff politely offered to refund the payment and cancel the booking with no cancellation charge. As staff do not have access to the refund facility on the credit card, they telephoned me at home to ask for permission to offer cash instead. I was off duty so not available to see these guests. To state that the "manager couldn't be bothered to speak to us" is offensive and untrue. This review is disproportionately negative. All that happened here is that the guests arrived, did not like the room offered and were given a full refund without question. They did not actually stay with us and so did not get the opportunity to experience and enjoy the Braeval as other guests have done.
Dumfries, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We stayed here for two nights recently as we were attending a wedding in the area. The staff were very friendly on check-in and we were shown to our room - which doesn't seem to happen much these days. The room was quite small and the bathroom was tiny but clean on arrival. The breakfast was okay - although I only opted for the cooked breakfast on the first day as I didn't feel the ingredients were of that good quality. However, the choice was sufficient and again the staff were incredibly friendly. My only other complaint would be that our room wasn't cleaned very well the next day.

However, the location was very good - near the water and the town centre and the bar was very impressive.

MHMHolding, Owner at Braeval Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I'm glad our staff looked after you in a friendly manner while I was on annual leave. I'm sorry to read your comments about the cleaning and have given this feedback to staff. I was surprised at your comments about breakfast, however. I have always been confident about the quality of our breakfast products and regularly receive excellent feedback about it. We use beef link sausages from our local butcher, Stornoway black pudding, local bacon and free range local eggs, so it's disappointing if something wasn't to your taste.
Falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed in the room above the bar/restaurant with sea views - there was a little noise but nothing excessive. The rooms are spacious, clean and well resourced. The main attractions are the views (amazing!), the bar (which has a brilliant selection of whisky), the food (nice, huge portions) and the really friendly staff.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed here recently and really enjoyed the food.We dined in the hotel in the evenings although we had previously planned on going out. The staff were friendly and helpful.
It was just a short walk over to the beautiful beach which makes it easy to go for a walk at any time.

Room Tip: A sea view is good.
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
MHMHolding, Owner at Braeval Hotel, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
I'm so glad you enjoyed your food while staying with us. Our restaurant, The Bandstand, is open to non-residents and is growing in popularity as an independant restaurant. (I'm grateful to any hotel guests for feedback posted on our other Trip Adviser restaurant site "The Bandstand Restaurant" - much appreciated and helps other "non-residents" hear about the restaurant.