“Unforgettable yes because the evening was so so bad.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Golf View Hotel & Spa

You added Golf View Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Golf View Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   63 Seabank Road | The Seafront, Nairn IV12 4HD, Scotland (Formerly a Swallow hotel)   |
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Nairn
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Unforgettable yes because the evening was so so bad.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My wife and I and two friends went to the Golf View and Spa on Wednesday evening 23rd May. we were not staying at the hotel just using the restaurant. From the outside the venue looked superb overlooking the sea. Upon entering as we were early we went to the drinks bar and lounge and were somewhat taken aback by the look of the inside, in many ways its decor and furniture reminded us of an old peoples home. However we decided that with a table overlooking the sea things could improve. We could not have been more wrong. Upon sitting down my wife ordered the Chicken Caesar, I ordered the rack of Lamb and my male friend ordered the fish and chips and his wife the Chicken Asparagus. To drink we had a bottle of the Italian Chardonnay unusual but not that good for the price of £18-95p. I was then told that the rack of lamb was off and I would have a lamb rump boneless. After over an hour of waiting the dinners were finally served with not one word of apology for the delay. My friends Haddock and Chips looked superb, his wife's chicken looked lifeless, my Lamb was dry and dreadful and the accompanying vegetables were 3 small potatoes and two pieces of rock hard broccoli. My wife told me her Chicken Caesar was dry with no parmesan cheese and hardly any Caesar Dressing, the chicken was warm and tasteless and the lettuce limp and inedible not crisp at all. As the meal had been booked by our friends it was difficult to complain, but upon being asked by the waiter if all was okay I said it was less than okay but got no response. Then we ordered the dessert mine the Cranachan which was supposed to be Raspberries Oats and Fromage Frais etc, what turned up were a few Raspberries and two oatcakes smothered in cream no sign of any oats other than the oatcakes. My friend ordered the Lemon Tart and his wife the Summer pudding which they both said were good but by then I was really annoyed at having such a terrible meal, but decided to leave matters until I was able to speak to the manager without involving my friend and his wife. I believe that this would possibly be one of the most awful meals I have had in all the years of coming to Scotland in fact it could be classed as possibly one of the most dreadful meals ever anywhere.
I am going to write to the hotel manager on this matter separately but I am certain that the hotel has lost its way or the chef has.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel we only used the restaurant if the meals are anything to go by I would...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

Took my girlfriend here to propose. What setting!!! Hotel was lovely overlooking the sea and could not have asked for better service. Highly recommend the SPA treatments to get her in the mood and the champagne on ice in the room was fantastic. The six course taster menu was good. Just a long drive from Heathrow to get there recommend stopping over night in the lake district on the way both going up and coming back.

• Stayed May 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

Was given a bed & breakfast voucher for this hotel.receptionist was very polite.room okay but could do with some improvement .no wi-fi despite this shown as available when asking reception was told there was a problem but no note to this affect at reception.service in restaurant was poor with 1 waitress totally ignoring the large amount of cups,saucers&tea/coffee pots on tables

• Stayed March 2012
Cowdenbeath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

My wife and I have just stayed 2 nights at this hotel and cannot fault anything. As a matter of fact, these were the most courteous staff we have ever come across at a hotel. They could not have been more polite and helpful. nothing was too much and they even went out of their way to ask if every thing was alright with our stay.
Hotel itself was clean tidy, quiet and very high standard.
Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting an excellent hotel.
Well done everyone, we would stay again and probably will.

Room Tip: Try and ask for a sea view, in the morning it is special opening the curtains.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your an extremely encouraging review following your recent stay here at the Golf View. I am delighted that you appear to have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of your stay, and am extremely gratified to read such positive comments regarding my fantastic team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Nairn and thank you once again for your feedback.

Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

Stayed over at the Golf View Hotel after attending the Sportsmans dinner in Nairn and got a special last minute deal. The room was BIG and very comfortable, bathroom had a fantastic power shower and a big bath which is a bonus being 6"4

Enjoyed the seaview from my room, breakfast was excellent and was well looked after. Many thanks for a comfortable stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room, well worth it!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights last weekend and what a find! Booked last minute and managed to get a great deal. Upgraded to a 4 poster sea view room on arrival, thank you to the friendly and pleasant receptionist, nothing was too much trouble for her. Had dinner on the first night in the conservatory. Food was excellent, and great value for money. The service was top notch with polite and engaging staff. On the second night we went to a local bar, recommended by reception, where we enjoyed a steak for only £6! Thoroughly enjoyed the real ale served in the cosy bar area. Breakfast was tasty, cooked to order and although they were extremely busy, staff again were pleasant. Great to see the manager actively welcoming his guests and engaging in genuine conversation with them. Excellent leisure facilities and next time we are going to book ourselves into the spa. Unfortunately they were fully booked. Overall it ticked every box and we can't wait to return. Keep up the great work and see you soon.

Room Tip: Room 27, amazing views and comfy 4 poster bed
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing such positive feedback following your stay with us here at the Golf View. It is a real delight to see the hard work and commitment that has gone into the guest experience from the team beginning to be recognised. I am glad you appreciated the upgraded sea view room, these are indeed very popluar with our guests, and the views across the Moray Firth are truly breathtaking. I am glad you had the opportunity to enjoy our leisure facilities, and make sure on your next visit that you do book your spa treatments well in advance. Again thank you for your comments, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Golf View in the near future.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

After seraching the internet for a suitable hotel near Inverness airport we booked here as 2 night DB+B and spa package was excellent and we upgraded the room to a seaview. Excellent room on 1st floor with beautiful views of sea from both bedroom and bathroom. Superficially very clean but finer detail like under bowl in sink, tiles, doily on hospitality tray needed attention but that's probably me being a little picky!
Hotel quite dated in parts but public areas spotlessly clean. Service slow at bar and waiter but well worth the wait as the food is absolutely excellent and beautifully presented. We had 7 courses for the evening meal, small portions but adaquate as variety and appearance was very special. We had lunch there also on both days and the sandwiches were brilliant value and these were enormous.
The pool area is lovely with seaviews again. Have a large outdoor hot tub with garden and seaview again....just missed the champagne!!
Minimal staff around and although all very pleasant not very attentive. Eg. ordered tea in pool area and after 40 minutes gave up waiting and went back to room and had one there, nobody around to ask either.
The dutch lady I had for my spa treatment was friendly and just the best therapist I had ever had. She was thorough and often on these spa breaks you can feel rushed and unpersonal but we had probably longer than our alloted time and she was very professional.
Overall excellent and relaxing stay and in a beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Definately worth £30/ngt extra for a seaview as I don't think these is much of a view at all on...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
NairnIain, General Manager at Golf View Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 5, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us here at the Golf View. On the whole an excellent review, although I am disappointed to note some lapses in service, which I will discuss with my supervisory team immediately. Our outdoor hot-tub is an excellent feature and is very popular with our guests and leisure members, however for your safety, unfortunately we are not permitted to serve alcohol prior to and during your use of the facility. I have passed on your fantastic comments to Wilma, our head therapist who is of course delighted that you enjoyed your treatments. Again, thank you for your review and I do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Golf View should you return to the area in the future.

Iain Fraser

Been to Golf View Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!