“Fine Dining Boutique Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Boath House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   On A96 | Auldearn, Nairn IV12 5TE, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 12 hotels in Nairn
London, United Kingdom
“Fine Dining Boutique Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

A fabulous small hotel (only 8 rooms). Great place for special weekend away. The rooms were charming and well appointed. Highlight was the superb cuisine, 7 course dinner was out of this world, and the breakfast was excellent too. Staff were very friendly. The walled garden was lovely and the loch together with the resident swans was beautiful.

Stayed May 2013

179 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It really is hard to imagine that there could be a better destination in Scotland. This is certainly the best I have found. The staff, the relaxed atmoshphere, and the quality of the food (and wine list and whisky selection) were all absolutely fantastic. Even the owners were there to engage with. I cannot recommend Boath House highly enough.

Room Tip: Just read the descriptions on the website
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Surprise birthday Saturday lunch. Lovely woodland and lake setting.
On arrival shown to very comfortable lounge where we were served drinks from extensive drinks menu, Choice of starters, mains and dessert. Between us we covered every dish from the Artichoke Soup, Salmon, Roe Deer, and Halibut but the puddings were the star of the day.
Macae Chocolate with Cocoa Ice Cream was voted 10/10. Well looked after. Excellent value.
Would reccomend. Afternoon teas also available.Thanks to all.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

The food alone deserves its Michelin star. The service was excellent and the surroundings were exquisite.

It was my birthday and as a treat my partner organised a visit to Boath House hotel for lunch

Starters: Jerusalem Artichoke Truffle or Salmon Creme Freche Avruga
Main Course: Roe Deer with Potato, Onion and Chard or Halibut, Mustartd, Chorizo, Fennel
Dessert: Chocolate, Cocoa Nib, Ice Cream

Starter was devine
Main course - Roe Deer was so rich in flavour that it melted in my mouth. Cooked to absolute perfection. Also liked the original onion rings (no batter)
Dessert: Excellent

Cheese board - a well presented board with some local cheese and hotel made chutney

Wine - fantastic

I will be back (however, I am NOT leaving it until my next birthday)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeenshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I thought that we were off to a casual kayaking pub on the West Coast for my birthday and suddenly my husband turned into Boath House - what a lovely surprise (aside from the panic that I only had jeans with me - he'd packed a dress and shoes!). This is our second visit to Boath House but I'm already looking forward to our third! This time, my husband had booked me a facial and massage in the Aveda Spa which was wonderful - candlelit and intimate, I was completely blissed out while he took the dogs for a run on Nairn beach.
We stayed in one of the Orangerie rooms this time which are in the basement but have a little ante room where you can have breakfast (and where your dogs can sleep as they are not allowed in all rooms and you have to sign a 'dog policy' to ensure they don't cause damage). Last time we were in Mickle Cottage which sits on its own opposite the hotel and which I much preferred because it has a lovely big bath as well as a shower. The only disappointment with the Orangerie room was the 'outer section' was really cold and I couldn't get it to warm up so there was no way that we could have breakfasted there although we were quite happy to go to the main restaurant.
The evening dinner was delightful - so full of flavours - every course was mouthwateringly good. The chef there is superb. The menu is set for the evening and, of course, you can let the kitchen know if you have any specific requirements but we love all good food so enjoyed every morsel especially as it was accompanied by a wonderful bottle of Amarone Classico.
The three course breakfast is also just as fabulous. The vegetable juice may sound unappealing to some but it was a delicate blend of flavours that oozed freshness - it was so good that I had two! And the duck eggs with woodland mushrooms - wow, I'm drooling as I type this!
The service, as usual, was friendly and efficient. The setting lovely - I was up early, walking around the lake with the dogs and felt so relaxed that I kept my PJs on (very Romford I know...).
As it's only a two hour trip from us and we can take the dogs, there's no excuse not to go back very soon!

Room Tip: If you have dogs then Mickle Cottage is lovely and allows you privacy plus to take the dogs in and o...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

On a short trip to Scotland for 4 nights decided to book 2 of them here and was very pleased that I did. Very comfortable country house hotel with excellent friendly service. The room was lovely overlooking the front of the hotel. We had booked only one night dinner but they had reserved a table for the second night just in case which is really very good. We had to decide whether we wanted it or not though as they had a waiting list for tables. As it was a 3 AA Rosette restaurant I decided to say yes to the second night even though we hadn't eaten the first night and that was the right decision. I was a little concerned when we were told that dinner was 7pm drinks for 7.30pm dinner as I am not a fan of being limited to when to do what but it was absolutely fine and actually the place had a very good atmosphere with people in the lounges. The set menu/no menu dinner is something I like anyway and the food lived up to its billing. Quite excellent and completely different food the second night apart from, as we were told with a serious apology, the breads may be the same! They were but we enjoyed them the second time just as much as the first. The staff are really excellent, friendly, good, and always making sure everything is ok. Breakfast was lovely too. If I return to the area I don't need to think twice about where to stay and eat.

Stayed March 2013
ScotlandIndia, General Manager at Boath House Hotel, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We were delighted that you both decided to dine on the second night of your stay with us. You will know what I mean when I say that good bread is like Amarone Classico; it tastes better on the second day! We look forward to your return visit.

Best,

Jonny.
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Boath House offers the most amazing opportunity to relax and enjoy this part of the country. Lots of privacy aswell as a warm welcome. The rooms are breathtaking and the food s spectacular. Difficult to imagine how it will be possible to enjoy staying anywhere else now!

Room Tip: Each of the rooms has personality but I can recommend the orangerie rooms for those who are looking...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ScotlandIndia, Owner at Boath House Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you very much for leaving such a great review - the Orangerie rooms are very contemporary and because they are in the basement with glazed conservatory areas they do give extra privacy for private dining at breakfast time. We look forward to welcoming you back to Boath House at some point in the future.

Been to Boath House Hotel? Share your experiences!