“Swiss Golfers loved it” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 33 restaurants in Nairn
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Traditional country pub and restaurant serving modern Scottish food with flair. Situated in the beautiful conservation village of Cawdor, close to the famous Cawdor Castle, Cawdor Tavern offers a relaxed and welcoming atmosphere to enjoy a simple bowl of home made soup or full three course meal all made from fresh local ingredients.
Regensdorf, Switzerland
“Swiss Golfers loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our group of 5 came here for Dinner and enjoyed every minute of it. Very friendly staff and the food was excellent. The pate starter was absolutely georgous, as was the fish and chips, which we can't get in Switzerland. Also the guys who had meat dishes enjoyed it very much.
If we are in the Area again we surely will come back!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
CHRISTINE S, Owner at Cawdor Tavern, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Hi guys. Thanks for taking the time to comment on your evening at Cawdor Tavern. It was a pleasure having you here and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

79% Recommend
El Dorado Hills
“Best meal we had in Scotland in 24 days...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I wanted to get home and write a review right away for this restaurant. We were in Scotland for over three weeks and in the whole three weeks, this was by far the best meal we had (and best meal I'd had in a long time, not just in Scotland). Not only was my meal one of the best I'd had in a long time, my husband's was just as good. The restaurant was packed when we got there, but they managed to squeeze us in. The gals helping us were great and made sure we had everything we needed. And the dinners themselves were outstanding. I'm by no means a food critic, however, I love good food for sure. This was amazing. My regards to the chef!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wow, thanks for the comments. We are delighted you chose Cawdor Tavern for your evening and glad to know that you were happy with everything. I'll make sure to pass the comments onto the team. Thanks.
Stranraer, United Kingdom
“Perfect meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I attended a wedding here for a large number of people (80) and the meal that the staff provided was excellent. Staff were friendly and helpfull and nothing was too much trouble. The food arrived properly cooked, hot and tasted delicious. Nobody I spoke to had any complaints at all. I visited the Tavern again the following day and although we were a party of 13 arriving near to closing time (2 45 pm) again we were made to feel welcome and the food was again of a high standard. If I am again in the area I will certainly be paying it another visit. Well done to all the staff involved.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your post on tripadvisor. We are delighted to know all the wedding guests were happy and that you enjoyed your return visit just as much. Hope to see you and the happy couple again soon.
Mintlaw, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

This was our first visit to Cawdor Tavern and if we are in the area again would definitely return. We phoned to see if they could accommodate a table of 13 and were assured this was no problem. We arrived early and were shown to our table which was ready. The waitress gave us our menus and told us of the specials on offer. The food was of very good quality and very well presented. The service was first class as well. Nothing was too much trouble. Due to all the really nice choices on the menu most people had the full 3 courses!!!!! I would definitely recommend and i honestly can't see what anyone has to moan about.

Visited August 2012
CHRISTINE S, Owner at Cawdor Tavern, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Great to have your feedback, thanks. We re delighted to hear that your party all enjoyed their visit to Cawdor Tavern and look forward to your return.
“Let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

This is the first ever negative review I have ever written, I had heard do many good things over the years about Cawdor Tavern, so when a senior colleague met me for a lunch meeting I thought that the Tavern would be perfect..... How wrong I was, being met by 'award' winning signs, two in total from ten years ago !!! did not fill me with confidence, dark and dim, very dated, staff less than happy to greet us. Good enough menu, high ish price, but we were looking forward to high quality, only it didn't come. Haddock and chips, really tasteless fish, microwaved peas sitting in left over water in a glass bowl (?) my guest had gammon steak, seen better at a transport cafe, she had also tasted a better quality one at a transport cafe. A visit to the toilets topped it all, two sinks, neither hot tap worked, so only cold water and enough huge, long cobwebs to make a scene from a Halloween movie.... Exterior all weeds, old plants and overgrown, so sad ..

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
CHRISTINE S, Owner at Cawdor Tavern, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I am very sorry that you did not care to comment on the issues you found with Cawdor Tavern at the time of your visit. For both of your main course items to have been less of standard than you expected is outrageous and I would have welcomed the opportunity to check the quality of these items at the time. You picked two of our biggest sellers and items which people specificaly come here to order. The gammon steak, for example, is not a uniform shape as we use fresh, hand cut meat and not manufactured round ones - not so pretty on the plate but very tasty. If there was an issue with it I cannot check as that batch is long gone. As regards the decor I am sorry you feel we are "dated" but we call it traditional - which is what is expected of us and on a sunny day outside it can seem a little dim inside. There was an issue with hot water and I apologise for that but it was corrected swiftly and I regret you were inconvenienced.