“stunning views” 3 of 5 stars

Ferry Road, Kyle of Lochalsh IV40 8AF, Scotland   |
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“stunning views”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

stayed here on last Tuesday night as I had a collection from down the road the following day. The hotel commands a stunning position overlooking skye and the skye bridge. on entering the lobby it seemed a bit of decorating was going on and in my opinion it was in need of abit of tlc looking a little bit worn . I stayed in room 107 which again looked like it had seen better days the material on the chair was ripped and the shower had a leak on it and looking out of the window to a view of the back of the hotel was a bit grim but as I was only here for 1 night I could live with it. I did not eat here as I had something on the way up but people were eating and the food looked ok portion wise.in the morning had breakfast in the dinning room with a stunning view over to skye, the breakfast was spot on and the service great. All in all it wasn't to bad probably just needs a bit of Tlc, so if you want a hotel with stunning views but you are not to fussy then this is it

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Large comfortable bedroom with a great shower/bath en suite, tv, kettle, no creeking floors, very comfortable bed, easy parking, terrific view.. breakfast is great with many choices and hotel staff very helpful.. I will return to this hotel on my next visits to the west coast with no doubt :)

• Stayed March 2014
Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We spent only 26 hours at Kyle of Lochalsh on a quick trip from our main holiday place of Aviemore. The Hotel gave us a warm welcome on a cold, windy, wet lunchtime, Our room had lovely views over to Skye and was very comfortable. We had 2 lunches, 1 dinner and 1 breakfast and all were very good. We enjoyed our short stay and would gladly return in the future.
Maureen and Michael

Room Tip: a room on the front to take in the views over to Skye.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I stayed at your hotel for my friends wedding and I couldn't thank the management and staff enough ,the rooms where spotless ,food was fab ,stunning views from room ,friendly bar for a dram or two ,all and all a perfect stay :-), would recommend the venison dish, as it was superb

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Wick, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for two nights last week on a work trip to Kyle. I can state with some certainty that I will never willingly stay there again.

The hotel itself is in a spectacular and convenient location, right on the shore. Waking up to that view in the morning was the best thing about the whole trip. Despite others in my party complaining, I actually thought my bed was quite comfortable. I like a firm mattress though, so that might make the difference.

So what was wrong:

1. The dirt. My bathroom was just disgusting. There was hair all over the floor and the sink. I had a selection of bugs in the bottom of my bath on the first night (4, to be precise!!). There was mould on the ceiling and the shower head looked like a health hazard. The furniture was stained.

2. The shower. Apart from the mould on it, it was absolutely scalding hot. Too hot to stand under. I tried adjusting the heat with the lever but nothing seemed to bring the temperature down. I ended up washing my hair in the bath and having to rinse it afterwards using the teapot.

3. The temperature. The first night I was there the room was bitterly cold. I ended up going to bed in a vest, a long sleeved T, a woolly jumper, fleece pyjama bottoms and slipper socks to keep warm. They clearly decided to address the issue, as I arrived back on the second night to find an electric heater plugged in. The room was much warmer but unfortunately, due to the damp, it was so humid it was like being in a sauna.

4. The inconveniently placed fire extinguisher. I have a spectacular bruise on my thigh from twice walking into the fire extinguisher, which was hiding behind the fire door in the second floor corridor. Seems such a small thing, but seriously, my bruise is almost 10cm across!!

5. The food. On the whole the food was actually okay. My venison was really tough and chewy on the first night but the flavours were okay. I went for spinach and ricotta canneloni the second night that tasted bought in but it was filling and not bad. What was weird was the absolute lack of vegetables. Seriously, nothing came with vegetables. It was a little strange.

To be fair, the staff were friendly and helpful when asked. I think part of the problem was that it was a late booking. They had clearly just opened the rooms from the winter storage, hence the cold and the damp, but that's no excuse for the poor cleaning standards.

The decor is also very dated, if that bothers you. To be honest, the whole hotel could do with updating. It was like the land that time forgot.

Room Tip: I had a family room (218) which was massive and had an adjoining nursery. The view was beautiful fro...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Manchester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

In 1981 I worked & lived at the Lochalsh for a couple of months. It was a Posh hotel, well run, great service, immaculate rooms, great food. I decided to go back as a guest some 30 years later. The staff we great, very helpful as were the locals who we met in the Bar. It is a great shame the since the Skye bridge opened the Lochalsh Hotel has had it tough. the food was okay, the rooms were shabby and needed updating. there is a skeleton staff who are expected to carry out many different roles. I would like to recommend that lots of you stay here and generate enough revenue that the owner can re-invest and get this hotel back to a good standard. But my experience of a day out, the owner informed me " the chamber maids have not had chance to clean your room, but I know you don't mind"! we found our room pretty much as we left it, apart from the un washed coffee cups in the hand basin. the thing that really mad up my mind never to return wwas, a young Asian couple with a young baby, turned up late in the evening to book in. they were left waiting in reception for bout 30 minutes before any one attended to them. the memeber of staff on duty eventually signed them in and informed them that breakfast is served until 10.30am. the next morning they came down at 10.10am to be told they had missed breakfast, only to be told that break fast was no longer being served. He asked, " I have a young child, could we just have some tea and Toast". the Waiter said the Chef had now gone, so no. About 30 minutes later, we were trying to pay up and check out. there were no staff. i went into the kitchens to try and find some staff. the Chef was there having a cuppa!! I will not stay at the Lochalsh again. Very disappointed!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My friends and I stayed here for a night and the room was lovely. The room was adequate and nicely furnished. would stay here again. A stones throw from the Skye bridge. This hotel is a lovely building from another age.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lochalsh Hotel? Share your experiences!