“LOCHALSH HOTEL” 2 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ferry Road, Kyle of Lochalsh IV40 8AF, Scotland   |
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“LOCHALSH HOTEL”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel early October 2012 with the intention of staying for 3 nights. On arrival, the room looked excellent with great views over the Loch.
Unfortunately when night fell, it was a cool evening, and we discovered there was no central heating in our room, only a small portable electric heater which would have taken for ever to comfortably heat the room. The wash hand basin in the en suite had a large crack in it. The leaflets informing you of local places to visit were for 2011, a year out of date. We were informed on arrival that our evening meal would have to be in the Bar as the Dining Room was set for a function the next day. The earliest we could eat was 6.30 p.m. and the bar was the noisiest I have dined in. The Dinner, and menu, was of very low standard. We also had to pay for Dinner, there and then, because, we were informed, that the Hotel did not encourage evening meals.We decided that enough was enough and immediately made alternative arrangements. Having been told that we could not use the Dining Room the night before, we were very surprised to discover that Breakfast was being served in the Dining Room. We can only conclude that staff was at a minimum and could not cope with Bar and Dining Room at the same time. We know that 50 years is a long time since we were last at this hotel but it looks as if it has reached rock bottom. No comparison to the last time we were there. The Hotel fabric shows that it is ‘tired’ and may not last much longer.

Room Tip: Choose room NOT on the West end/front of the hotel - cold
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Duror, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

My Husband and I stayed at this hotel for a few days 19th to 22nd August. We originally only planned one night but the food and service was so good we extended our stay.Staff were all friendly and very helpfull - also had a fair amount of knowledge about the area - bedroom was large and comfortable with a lovely view to Skye. Will certainly return again. THANKS LOCHALSH!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

From the outside this hotel looks good, however we were very disappointed with out stay. The restaurant was like a cafe with paper tablecloths and get your own cutlery. We waited ages for our food to arrive. The rooms were 'tired' and need an upgrade (toilet was broken). The only saving grace for us was the lady who was receptionist/waitress/barmaid who couldn't do enough for us during our stay

• Stayed August 2012
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at this most scenic hotel a few times and the last time was New Year where a taster 7 course evening menu was presented before the party and bells began. My husband and i both agreed that we had never tasted such beautifully presented scottish produce on a platter -EVER. Each and every course was better than the next and we still talk about it today as we have not yet found anywhere that could match the skill or produce presented to us on that evening. Quite simply fine dining at its best in the most stunning and breathtaking location .

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
carlisle England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I totally understand the negative views, but for me it was ok, i`d travelled up from cumbria and been round skye and found no accomodation, at least accomodation i could afford,
when i asked at the b ands bs i was told at 3 different places no chance unless pre booked,
portree was the worst, very average hotel room at £120, and at a nice hotel £200 for last room,
so i resigned to going to kyle as i had stayed here before couple of years back, but that hotel was offering a room at £120, last time i paid about £45,
guy in the bar said try the lochalsh, i needed 2 rooms been on the go since 6, it was now 8 in the evening, so i took the offer of 2 rooms for £100, top floor, friendly receptionist,
large rooms in need of upgrading, 1 was half way through being fixed a change was offered but was ok, view of lochalsh and the pics i got from sunset were amazing, i really like this area
ok being truthful the hotel is a bit shabby, it really needs money investing, but its understandable that moneys so tight, the breakfast was fine and the man serving it very friendly and with good information, there was one busload staying and very few others,
so for 50 quid, i got a tired room, pleasant staff, decent breakfast, and a great view,
i think thats acceptable compared to £120 a room for an average 2 star in portree and the one up the road at the kyle, i cant see this hotel lasting much longer, but i hope it does.
for me it was £50 well spent, and yes i would stay here again

Room Tip: if you dont like room ask to see another the receptionist was very helpful
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Timbuktu, Mali
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have traveled extensively. Europe, Asia. America. Australasia. I have stayed in crummy third world guest houses and nice arab hotels. But this hotel , in my homeland of Scotland I am ashamed to say, is one of the poorest.

We were traveling to the Isle of Skye and were passing visitors. The rate of £ 100 for a double room seemed high as we could see in the entrance that it was a bit shabby. The girl was also tending the near empty bar and just handed us the keys. The corridor to the room had the ceiling cladding sagging. The key barely fitted the lock it was so worn.

Inside the room the bathroom had the noisiest plumbing I have ever come across. I'm not joking. It was unbelievable if you just turned the tap on.

The double bed proved to be so uncomfortable that in the night I was forced to take a duvet and sleep on the floor. I am not kidding, the mattress was so uncomfortable that the floor was preferable.

The room furniture looked like it had been bought at an auction - many years ago.

My impression of the staff was that they were nice people forced to work in a place that they knew was liable to get a lot of complaints. They were inured to it.

This was my first foray into the highlands for many a year. It this is an example of what Scotland offers tourists then I fear that many will not return.

I hope that improvements can be made. I sincerely feel that this hotel deserves to do better and I am writing this review in the hope that it will provide a wake up call to the management. Better managed and with more investment it could be an excellent stopping off point to Skye.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I was quite shocked when I saw this place inside and do not think it has been updated since I stayed in the 70s. I cannot comment on the rooms and do not think it has the best view in Scotland either try the Rannoch moor hotel first where the food is excellent and so is the welcome.
I could not find any staff at first and had to hang about and then was dismayed by the menu which is very dull and dated and overpriced. The specials on the board were better priced but thought there might be some more innovative fish dishes but it was boring and the whole decor and ambience is quite frankly dull too. I also had to pay before I had eaten. The salad and fish pie were ok but rather a lot of potato and certaintly not as good as you can get today. Very glad that I did not decide to stay here - waste of money I think. I am better in a good b and b in INvnerness. Only good thing was the coffee a good lot and well priced! Staff when they appeared were fine but I have never been served a fruit juice in such a slapdash way. Personally I think the cafe on Eigg did better for value and interest!!

When I was there in the 70s it was very pretentious with a menu all in French and no breakfast earlier enough to catch a train (it was the British Transport hotel then) and I think it needs a hell of money spent on it or blown up! It is pretty ugly anyway!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Lochalsh Hotel? Share your experiences!