“Food OK, but slow delivery” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Food OK, but slow delivery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This was the one night in FW that we hadn't pre-booked a meal, and it was a Friday night with very good weather, so we were a bit worried about finding somewhere. We came across this at random - it was crowded, but they had space. The food was good - a fairly standard menu for the area - though not outstanding. The portions were not as large as we had had elsewhere.

The service was friendly, and attentive. But the bottleneck seemed to be at the kitchen. We waited about 30 minutes for our main course (didn't order a starter). Looking around, lots of people were sitting at tables with no food in front of them - not a good sign.

Our impression (not confirmed) was that the restaurant had recently changed hands. If they sorted out the delivery side this could be a reasonable place.

So - not bad, but there are better options in FW.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Below Average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were walk in diners on a Friday night. Started off ok with haggis for my partner & salmon fish cake for myself, which I think it's so so.

I had the lamb shank which the waitress honestly told us it was from New Zealand rather than local produce, still not cheap over £15. It didn't look too inviting, unsure wether they were from boiling in the bag, as the gravy was pretty gross as separated from the oil. My partner's sirloin steak came much later ( later we were told that chef couldn't serve the first one ), but the 2nd attempt didn't make much difference. Although cooked to demand ( medium rare ), it was impossible to cut by steak knife, not to mention to chew/bite, it was sent back at the end. The waiter did explain it could be the bad batch of beef, ( but why keeping it on the menu???? ) They did take it off my bill, but not offered to cook us anything else.

So, 2 starters, a bottle of red, 1 under par lamb shank for over £40, sorry, it's over priced and below pub standard!

Visited July 2013
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Uninspiring food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Saw the notice on the high street and the restaurant looked inviting as I walked up to it. Inside, many tables, very few people. A very hospitable waitress showed me the table and menus.

My order of chicken was over cooked to the point that skinless chicken was browned and a bit tough and the sauce that covered everything was liberally spiced with pepper. Had 'pepper' been in the title of the dish, I might have been happier.

Dessert was just ok, with 'Chantilly Cream' (spray on cream).

Visited July 2013
Mid Wales
“Absolute gem of a place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Called in on the off chance of finding a table for two and we were not disappointed. Food and service was absolutely first class. My husband had mussels to start, I had the fish cakes followed by mains of venison and chicken and desserts of no. 4 and pecan tart - all were excellent!! I cannot fault anything. Definitely a place I would recommend to anyone x

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lee-on-the-Solent, United Kingdom
“Very Tasty Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a quite a cosy restaurant just off the Main Street in Fort William. Our table was situated in a bright and spacious area at the rear. The menu was varied and both our meals were hot, and very tasty, and overall good value. The staff were friendly and very efficient. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and would definitely consider dining there again

• Visited June 2013